Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
I'm finally trying to move away from the ancient version of
L Mouse: Fire
Middle Mouse: Forward
R Mouse: Back
A and D still strafe
S as crouch
Caps Lock as alt fire (for newer 2 weapon mode games)

It worked great for me, but the new mice have finally taken their toll on my hand since trying to hold down the middle mouse (scroll click) without switching weapons makes me put too much pressure on the mouse. So my shots go up because my middle finger is pressing down, while my index is trying to fire.

That, and it cramps the finger and eventually the hand since I'm constantly again having all that pressure for the mouse scroll is such a small area and further up on the mouse bending my middle finger more.

Since mice companies have forgotten about us 3 or even 4 button mice peoples (I'm not talking about side thumb buttons here). I'm trying to learn the WASD method and finding it difficult. I have to let of A or D momentarily when I stop or go backwards. Not good in a fire fight.

Any suggestions other than practice? Alternate methods of keyboard layout you use? Is there some mouse I'm forgetting about that works for people like me better? Especially one where I could have a larger middle button, and even another that I could use as alt fire. It's embarrassing when you type and realize everything is in caps since caps lock was turned on last time you alt fired.

You know what would be cool? A mouse that straps to your hand. So you don't have to put so much pressure on it, and now can even use your pinky to click buttons.

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    how in gods name have you lasted this long without going to WASD. wow.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    could be worse, could be using the arrow keys! wink.gif
    I don't use WASD either, but ESDF
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    For the longest time I was a big supporter of the arrow keys(due to the fact that the arrow keys seemed like an obvious choice for directions), but about 3 years ago, I switched to WASD and haven't looked back.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Bollocks, I used to use this setup:
    RMB = fwd
    Rshift = back
    comma, period = strafe l/r
    LMB = prim fire
    Rctrl = alt fire

I found that config as one of the options in Quake1 (w/o alt fire obviously) and I was pretty damn good with it, usually at the top of the servers in ut2 and hl2 dm. Now that I have a laptop with no right ctrl (and for ergonomic reasons), I decided to switch to WASD. Kinda sucks, but I'm getting there.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's actually pretty cool, might give ESDF a go. Gives you more surrounding keys to bind.

-caseyjones
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Hmmm...I never used the above.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    I've always used the arrows keys, enter to jump, ctrl to crouch, never had any problems with it.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i'm a WASD man these days, though i always catch shit in the office for being one of the few to still invert his mouse. in fact, i had to get the coders to put it in, since before i came nobody was an invert-mouser smile.gif
    i hear tell of a legend using FDSA--F for forward, A for backward, and S/D for strafe. sounds kooky to me, but maybe it's an alternate scheme that'd work for you?
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    ya pc game development forced me into wasd, and a non-inverted mouse. I went for years using the num pad. It made sense to me.. all the functionality of wasd, but without the wierd keyboard offset. Inverted Y axis on the mouse because I think flight sims with a joystick were some of my first games. Either way.. Im glad I have joined the "normal" wasd croud.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    <-- still invert the mouse, but I don't get the physical arrangement of the other setups.. wild.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    I read this and decided I'd go check if my old quake cfg was still out there somewhere. If you think your setup is crazy load quake one and try this sucker out

elite quake cfg

rmb -forward
    k-back
    b-StrafeL
    .-StrafeR
    J-Freelook (yes, really! I needed something to rest my hand on)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I used to use the arrow keys and numpad, plus the keys around the arrow keys, for years. What made me switch was my buying a laptop during college... kinda odd playing offset from the screen. tongue.gif
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

L Mouse: Fire
    Middle Mouse: Forward
    R Mouse: Back
    A and D still strafe
    S as crouch
    Caps Lock as alt fire (for newer 2 weapon mode games)

[/ QUOTE ]

i was using something close to this at wow. middle mouse was autowalk etc. but its kinda wierd for fps games , for example you have no chance as tf2 sniper with shift for zoom.
    i'll stick to wasd in fps games with low skills&abilities
    i go for "movement on mouse , skills on wasd" for wow-like games
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I still arrow around. I only ever deviated into using keypad for a while when playing Unreal online back in '98 but that quickly ended as my arms didn't have enough resting space.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Former Tribes player, I presume?
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maddness polycounter lvl 11
    ESDF is King with A for crouch, Q for reload and Space for jump. with a total shitton of extra keys to bind.

That goes back to Duke 3D for me.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    I knew someone who played Half-Life DM with a Joystick >_>.
    Using WASD myself, but ESDF looks like an interesting alternative ( more keys around it ).

So apart from the WASDness i use Mouse1=Fire, Mouse2=Jump, CTRL=Crouch, Shift=AltFire ( if available ). Also Invert Mouse, i guess FlightSims did that to me ooo.gif
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    wasd and inverted mouse since quake1 for me.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    used to use M for backward < > for strafe, space for jump and alt for alt fire. Till a couple years back.

Switched to WASD and love it.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    RMB: Forward
    V: Back
    C: Strafe Left
    B: Strafe Right
    X: Crouch
    Z: Walk
    LMB: Fire

This gave me A S D F G free for weapons. and ALT for scoreboard.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You fucking moonmen and your crazy moon-keys.
    I actually used to use IJKL for a while, but use wasd now as some shity game forced me to so i got used to it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I adapt to whatever the games defaults are, It's too frustrating to come up with my own "standard" and try to impose it on every game I play.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm with Vig, they've standardized the defaults for the most part throughout games, WASD is just natural.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    I use AZSDRT

A jump/up
    Z crouch/down
    S back
    D forward
    R left
    T right
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, WASD with default game keys. Some people are better shots than I am, but I've yet to see anyone outmaneuver me in most games.

In COD1, people would say I was hacking because of my ridiculous kill totals (there were a lot of hackers, but I play clean). That is, until they'd spectate me and see me crouch jump out of second story windows and kill people with melee as I landed. That was loads of fun. Then I'd get chased back into the building, dive out the window again, sneak up behind my pursuers and melee them too. Fun, fun, fun.

That would usually shut them up. It'd be hard to make a hack for window melee dive bombing.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    WSAD for me too, ever since Quake really. I think I might have used the arrow keys for a bit in Q1 but soon swapped to WSAD.
    Nowadays I always have C as crouch, Space as jump, Q and E for leaning where applicable, and F is my default "action" key.
    Also, whenever available I turn on "toggle sprint" since otherwise you just end up pressing the Sprint key all the time anyway tongue.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have to let go of A or D momentarily when I stop or go backwards

[/ QUOTE ]
    eh? I can't figure out how this works, or rather doesn't...
    Ring finger on A(Strafe Left)
    Pointer finger on D(Strafe Right)
    Middle finger controls both W(fwd) and S(back)
    Mouse look/fire

I don't understand why pressing s(back) or taking your middle finger off of W(fwd) would cause you to stop pressing A or D?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Invert mouse baby!
    I remember the first time I actually used a mouse in an FPS. Was all about the arrow keys up until Duke3D. Never looked back since.

Mouse setup:
    MB1: prim fire
    MB2: sec fire
    MB3: zoom
    MB4: weapon bind or mic
    MB5: weapon bind
    mouse scroll up: prim weapon
    mouse scroll down: sec weapon

-caseyjones
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I have a theory that all Australians use invert mouse, presumably because they're relatively upside down to most of the rest of us ¬_¬

All the Australians in our offices use invert mouse, and nobody else does...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    arrow-keys ftw.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have a theory that all Australians use invert mouse, presumably because they're relatively upside down to most of the rest of us ¬_¬

All the Australians in our offices use invert mouse, and nobody else does...

[/ QUOTE ]
    HAHAHA! Fair point. But on the contrary, I actually only know 1 other person who uses invert mouse. I usually always have to bind "i" to an invert mouse script that will toggle it on or off when sharing my PC while playing an FPS.

-caseyjones
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    there was a guy where i used to work that claimed he could play ut2004 with an xbox controller....and win. he was a chronic liar. always cracked me up to think about playing it that way though.

i´ve always been WASD with an inverted mouse, with the keys around WASD used for binding weapons.

has anyone noticed if "pipedswitchweapon" is in the ut3 demo? i like to hit F to toggle between the flak cannon and the bio rifle, and R to toggle between the mini and link guns.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    there was a guy where i used to work that claimed he could play ut2004 with an xbox controller....and win. he was a chronic liar. always cracked me up to think about playing it that way though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny when console gaming fans say stuff like this. A friend of mine who happens to be a graphic designer was trying to tell me how superior a control mechanism a console controller was over a mouse for gaming. This led into a funny little conversation.

Me: So, wouldn't you say that in gaming, particularly in shooters your control mechanism should allow for speedy reactions and accuracy?

Him: Yes. This is what it's all about.

Me: When you work in graphics programs, or even when navigating around applications such as a web browser, should you also be able to do so with speed and accuracy?

Him: Obviously.

Me: Then why don't we all use console controllers for our computers?

Him: ...

Me: I mean, if a console pad is such a superior control mechanism for speed and accuracy when compared to a mouse?...

Him: Why do you always have to be so damn logical with your arguments?!
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I'm a wasd man myself, been like that since.. quake i think. I played duke3d entirely with the keyboard. It was quake that showed me the magic of mouselook.

A friend of mine has one of those weird ones.. if i remember correctly it was

W = left
    E = forward
    R = right
    Space = backwards
    LMB = fire
    RMB = jump
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Did
    Shift, Z, X, C
    Shift = backwards
    Z = left
    X = forward
    C = right
    then switched wasd years later
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got tired of setting up my damn control scheme every time i pick up a new game so yah I've gone default for every recent game. Though now I have to relearn how to play counterstrike with the default config. ARGH!
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    P = crouch
    Right Ctrl = Fire
    LMB = Secondary Fire
    RMB = Jump
    MMB = Reload
    Arrow keys
    \ = Use

Have used this for years
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I do and always have used WASD, LMB=fire, RMB = secondary fire, ctrl= crouch, shift = jump. I bind all of my various weapons to 1,2,3 etc.
    As default and simple as it is, it's just what works for me, and I still prefer a mouse and keyboard to a controller any day.
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol you guys are weird :P I just use the default settings, maybe bind the button on the side of the mouse to melee and shift to run/walk but that's about it laugh.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    E S D F for the win guys... more keys for your pinkie ( A shift Q 1 2)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you guys think of this? It looks like a good deal to me. And the layout seems much more game friendly. Im having a hard time keeping my movement going trying to switch from forward to aft with the close spacing of the keys on a normal keyboard and the crevices between them catch my finger tips.

This seems to resolve both these issues.

It also doesn't require special software since it is just a keyboard (partial).

26-998-022-03.jpg

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Accessory/keymou/a2418/a2418.asp

I cant find any reviews anywhere...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    not something i'd ever get, but its your cash (and your time switching out keyboards whenever you play a game).
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its usb powered, so it would be to the side, so more shifting over. I need something though as my hands are too large to do this wasd correctly.

Your also screwed when you have to switch weapons as you have to let off your movement key. (well thats for any of the layouts where the movement and weapons switch rely on the same hand).

Wonder if frys has them so I could test em out..
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    I've been using WASD since quake 3 when I got my first computer.

I have used the Nostromo n52 for WOW, which I hands down loved a million times more than the keyboard. I have yet to really give it the old college try on shooters though as WASD is soo ingrained in me at this point. I will say it's very ergonomic and has a multitude of mapping options. The newer model on that page "the n52te" looks pretty hot compared to the n52.