Home Technical Talk

Max 9 - Changing UV-Map Channel

Hi there, everyone.

I made one of my first low-poly characters in Max.
Modeling was done with orientation from the low-poly-character-tutorial, that comes with max. But i made a few things on my own.
The unwrapping was done completely by myself. The problem is, that i unwrapped the different parts of the character as different objects.
I mean, that i modeled the character as a combination of different objects.
The head is one single object as it is the body, the legs, the arms and the boots.
I unwrapped all of them - which came out quite good.
Now i wanted to take the model to ZBrush to make a High-Poly-Version from which i can bake the Normal-Maps as well as a cavity and an ambient occlusion map...

The problem is, that i´ve read, that all maps have to be on the same UV-Map-Channel...channel 1.
I combined the Object by making the head an editable poly again and then attached all the other pieces. So far so good.
The downside of this is, that i have a few parts lying on map channel 1, another part is on 2...and so on...down to channel 5...(which you can view by clicking on the "all IDs" at the bottom of the UVW-Editor-Window)
I don´t find a way to get all of them to channel 1 without re-uving the whole mesh.
If i save the UV, delete the existing UV (by doing a simple planar map on channel 1 for all objects) and then reloading the map, all parts are on different channels again.
What can i do, to bring all map-parts on channel 1?

And how do i have to proceed afterwards?
Can i simply export the mesh as OBJ to ZB, then build a high-poly mesh by subdividing and sculpting in detail, and then re-export the high-ress as an OBJ back to max to bake the maps?
Or will i run into problems because of the high resolution, that i can get in ZB?
Should i create the maps in ZB or in Max?

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    You say you attached the objects, does highlighting them all using the element option and going straight to the unwrap UVW help?

I'm just taking a stab at it as I just recreated this and managed to view both when attached and highlighted. Hope it helps if not someone will be with you shortly who knows the answer wink.gif.

Bout ZB, I always model unwrap and export obj then use zbrush, though I am looking into other methods now just to test out which works best. Others have said make a base work on it in zbrush then create your lowpoly around the highpoly ZB base. Just a matter of which method you are most comfortable with, exporting maps is a whole other story.

If you haven't read this yet give it a shot: Normal Mapping Thread I think this link should get stuck... crazy.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you have "material IDs" confused with "UV channels".
    [ QUOTE ]
    The downside of this is, that i have a few parts lying on map channel 1, another part is on 2...and so on...down to channel 5...(which you can view by clicking on the "all IDs" at the bottom of the UVW-Editor-Window)

[/ QUOTE ]
    That dropdown is for material IDs.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you combine objects that have separate materials it builds a new material called "Multi/SubObject". If you click on a blank material editor slot and use the eye dropper then click on your model you'll see the new multi material it created when you merged them all together.

To change the material ID's
    - Apply the Edit Poly Modifier
    - Go to poly, or element and select the faces you want to change the Mat ID.
    - Under the Polygon Properties rollout menu, type in the Mat ID number you want it to be and click set ID.
  • Deracus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for help...i confused it...got now everything as matID 1 but i can´t get my model into ZB WITH uvs....i export it as OBJ...and import it into ZB.
    If i turn on texture in ZB and import the map that i drew very quickly it looks totally weird and different than in max...

i don´t know why. It looks like it only exports my model and not it´s uvs....
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Deracus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doesn´t help....
    i don´t know what i´m doing wrong...

Can someone test it with my files?
  • Deracus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm....experimented a bit more and found out, that ZB takes my UVs....but they are flipped upside down...

Don´t know why...but they are...

Is there a way to prevent that? Or isn´t that a real problem?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The max obj exporter is trash, its total garbage, try using the exporter Eric posted. I was having similar trouble exporting obj's and he suggested I started using that plugin, worked great, I'll never use the wavefront obj exporter again.
  • Deracus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the recommendation. I´ve tried the exporter and i think it´s really great.

But it doesn´t solve my problems.

But i finally found a solution, that works great for me.

It´s a neat little tool called UVMapper. The basic version of it is free...
    I export my meshes from max as OBJ...then import it in UVMapper and export it out again as OBJ with flipped UVs....and what can i say...it works.... wink.gif

I don´t know why i seem to be the only one with this problem...but as long as i can get the job done...it´s fine for me...
    But i hope, that i´ll find a solution for it sometime in the future...
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    zbrush will read your exported UV's upside down, its just a zbrush thing. you can either flip the baked map or flip the UV's on export(so long as you dont bring back that OBJ for texturing purposes) - either way you'll have to invert the green channel if you're baking tangent space normal maps.

Zmapper might do that automatically IIRC