Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Holy Snail Temple

Hey guys. This is a temple I'm doing for a school assignment in Texture & Lighting. Received a basic room model with something that like a corridor with some pillars ending up in a smaller room with an altar in the middle. Had to choose an inspirational picture and model the room out of that picture.

I had a hard time finding my inspirational picture, but I finally landed on this one.
InspirationalImage.jpg

I then plunged into modeling, trying to flow as much as I could with the picture.

So this is what the room looks like right now.

Overviewcopy.jpgOverview2copy.jpgOverview4copy.jpgOverview3copy.jpg

So... By Friday I have to have some Uv'ing done and basic textures on everything, but the Snail and Pillars. (Because they're a bit special :S)

Very back and forth with my piece, don't feel too confident about it. :S But I'll keep working. laugh.gif Any input would be nice. smile.gif

Replies

• joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    I think so far it looks good, kinda hard to tell without any good texturing. It looks kinda low poly so your texturing will really make or break it. Post more updates if you can.
  • The Umbrella Man
    It looks ok from an aesthetics position, interesting shapes and whatnot. But the question you need to ask is, does it look functional.

Heres some more crits

Untitled-1-1.jpg

Overall it looks ok but you need to point out where the main entrance is because right now my eye is drawn right to the doors below behind the pillars and I keep wondering how it works as an entrance. Have a clear entry and exit point to your scene.

Other then that, until it's textured can't really critique it much, everything else is rather good looking.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    looks ok so far,could be intresting when textured.

what are your specs your working to for this?

John
  • Dazzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. smile.gif

The limit is 5k tris. So I am to rely heavily on texturing. The walkway which the Umbrella Man pointed out is actually supposed to be an aqueduct. I see now that it may seem like a walkway ending up in a door. I've retouched the door some, giving it small arch at the top.

It's like a dried out water temple. With the snails being the holy benefactors bringing water to the people. So the big door is actually supposed to be a water exit.

So I'll be texturing it now. And afterwards I'd like to work on the textures and "age" the whole thing making it seem more like a tomb, or forgotten temple.

Edit: Tnx for posting
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    Hey, taking Dan's class? smile.gif I hope you enjoy it. It's hard to tell what the pillar is exactly at the moment. Keep us updated.
  • Dazzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's for Daniel's class. smile.gif

InitialTexturing.jpg

So... Here's a small update. First picture is about where I stand right now. Just been using the checker pattern to check the texel density as I progress. I'm using the floor tiles which the figure stands on as reference. (Those tiles being completely covered by a 256x256 texture) I've then scaled the uv's on the other surfaces to try and match the squares overall to the floor tiles. I'm also adding edges on surfaces which are generally larger than the floor tiles.

I don't know if this is wrong, but right now I'm laying uv's on top of each other. For instance on the side of the walkway I matched the square size of one of the polygons to the floor tiles' squares, and I then snapped the Uv's of the other polygons to the adjusted polygon uv's. I'm basically laying Uv's on top of each other. This was a long and dubious caption, but I hope you get what I'm doing. :S

And for making the textures I uv snapshot after I've put the uvs on top of each other and photoshop it.

And when it comes to how my textures are looking like at the moment. Well, they look quite gastly for the moment. I have the .psd files. So I'll adjust them when I've got most of the surfaces covered with some basic texture tiling.

This is going to be a long evening/night. Who needs sleep? smirk.gif

FirstTexture2.jpg
    (Early screenshot. I flipped the textures and it came out not half-bad. Need to play around with)
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The density aren't very consitant yet. And before going into all the patterns you should lay down just basic color blocks first to help visualize the whole room.
  • Dazzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <font color="orange">*Update* </font>

Not through with first pass texturing, but here's an update.
    Progress3.jpg
    Progress1.jpg
    Progress2.jpg

I've been sticking way too much to my start off palette. So now I'll be doing different shades of the colors in my palette for my texturing. Right now it's getting texture on all my surfaces that's the goal. smile.gif
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Well well Nils, way to use this as a resource. And thanks Panupat, good to see you on here.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to hear from you too Dan smile.gif Dazz' room is looking surprisingly similar to my earlier versions of this same project.
  • Dazzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu: Hehe, I must say it helps to post stuff here. Getting input on your stuff is great, and also seeing the progression helps out. Like seeing I'm getting somewhere. grin.gif
  • Dazzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <font color="yellow"> *Update* </font>

Phew... So... I got most of my room somewhat first pass textured, but I'm taking a step back and actually taking time to do some paintovers to get the coloring right. (The first pass texturing didn't turn out too good...)

Making textures only for testing purposes is well enough, but takes a lot of time. Time I don't have. Starting to resemble a real life work scenario maybe. confused.gif Need to get a good color plan going on, and nail down textures which I won't have to redo.

paintover_pillarcopy.jpg
    edit: The look I hope to achieve for the pillar is metal plates bolted unto a concrete base. The water(which is long gone) has taken it's toll upon the pillars and faded some of the colors and given the metal base a darker hue.
    paintover_front.jpg
    paintover_aqueduct_better_angle.jpg

Anyhow... These pictures aren't much yet, I know. Will paint them out properly. (Tomorrow I hope) I just need to start putting something out on the net.

Do you guys have any tips on hand painting textures?
  • Dazzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Update*

Hiya! smile.gif I've been slacking up on throwing up updates. Have been thinking that I would need refine it in order to put it up, but hey this is WIP. I need the input. grin.gif

<u>My walkway:</u>
    Walkway.jpg

<u>The Aqueduct:</u>
    Aqueduct.jpg

<u>Inspiration for my aqueduct:</u>
    pool_gritty.jpg
    My aqueduct doesn't look very much like the reference because I found it afterwards, but I want to influence the textures on the aqueducts with it. smile.gif

So... I feel that I'm constantly lacking inspiration on this piece. Need to watch a lot of Egyptian movies or something. *Throwing a movie on download*

Input?

More to come, real soon. wink.gif