Home Technical Talk

Vista + CS2... weird stuttering problem

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Hey guys - I just recently bought a brand new machine and I got it with Vista (Home Premium). I've had Photoshop CS2 installed since I got it (2 weeks) and have noticed that it (CS2) stutters/lags on certain instances within the application: zoomed in and painting/erasing on any % level seems to be the biggest culprit that I can think of.

Anyone know of this issue and possible solutions? It'd be awesome if you could pass on any information you know for it. I'm checking Google, and Adobe's horrible knowledge base system, but I'm not yielding any useful results.

PC specs:
-4gb ram
-8800gts
-3gz dual-core
-500gb HDD

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    SOL for now. We run identical machines at the studio and the whole art team was rolled back to XP from Vista, specifically because of the Photoshop stutter problem (CS2 and CS3). Hopefully this is resolved soon.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    adobe refused to fix the issues with cs2 in vista. why? cause cs3 is out and that's the excuse they seem to want to stick with.

*note: somewhat drunk so statement might not be the total truth.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ahh I am not alone then. Yeah I am thinking of setting up a dual boot system as this does get annoying.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Jesse have you tried running it in XP compatibility mode? Dual boot seems like a complete pain.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One question. do you have network printers installed?
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found some threads on cgsociety and conceptart.org and here is what I've gathered so far.

CS3 will be supported but CS2 will not be supported in Vista. This is an official statement from Adobe. They say the issues are minor though.

Disable flix - according to wacom the flix gesture recognition software can interfere with there driver.

Enable run as administrator - gets rid of that annoying window asking to register everytime

Disable Aero , any visual themes, and disable desktop composition in the compatibility tab - should help with the stuttering.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jesse have you tried running it in XP compatibility mode? Dual boot seems like a complete pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep and hasn't made a difference and I don't have any network printers.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    It does the same crap in CS3 on my Vista x64 machine.

It SUCKS.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i haven't even used cs3 because of it. it's shitty. I have a nice laptop and vista ultimate and can't get photoshop to fucking run right.

FUCK YOU ADOBE.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    The answer here is to drop Vista. Vista is not good.
    Vista is like unto the "Windows ME" of yore.

Roll back to XP, and enjoy improved performance in basically every app.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    FUCK YOU ADOBE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't your ire be better aimed at Microsoft?

They screwed up backward compatibility with one of the most popular applications in existence!

How did Microsoft's compatibility lab fail to notice that their new operating system can't run Photoshop correctly?

Seriously, how is that even possible?

Even Visual Studio has issues in Vista. If Microsoft's own programs don't work, then what chance did Adobe have?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DAMN YOU RYAN CLARK.... haha I love the pretty colors and features of Vista and I am running 4 gigs of ram in vista. ARGHHHHH
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The answer here is to drop Vista. Vista is not good.
    Vista is like unto the "Windows ME" of yore.

Roll back to XP, and enjoy improved performance in basically every app.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^^ What he said ^^^^^

Sooooo true, Vista IS the new Windows Millennium. Its a unnecessary resource hog, too much big corporate brother, has a schizophrenic interface. At least for me, moving to Linux time has come with my next system.. Hopefully be then 3d Max will be able to run in Wine even if its slightly slower.

Yea, I know, I turned into a Vista bashing thread. Its deserved though. Even if the excuse is Vista is executing admin/user protocols right unlike older OS which allowed programs to "cheat". It's still a badly outsourced written hamburger.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Adobe's bullshit remarks on CS2 made me laugh, because CS3 did the same thing.

I won't switch from Vista just yet.

*Edit: And thanks for the responses everyone laugh.gif
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Same problem here. PS is almost unusable for me. I just read today http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/vista-sp1/win...1-08-308213.php that Vista SP1 is coming soon, and it adresses the slow as shit photoshop problem. Funny how PS gets slower with every version as computers get faster and faster..

This just adds to the list of Vista issues I have. try finding decent Quadro drivers for Vista.. boooo
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jay!

I hope sp1 delivers on this. smile.gif