Home Technical Talk

Photoshop lazybrush?

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
I've been wondering this for a while: Does Photoshop have an equivalent to zb3's lazybrush, or something for drawing clean/smooth lines outside of working in vector?

Replies

• skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Other then using fast swooshy lines, your best bet would be to use paths. That's one of my gripes with photoshop, you'd think being slow and careful with a line would be good but that's when it looks all squigly. BUT if you do use vector, I actually like the way FLASH handles lines... you can be slow and careful and get the exact line that you want. Unfortunately I don't think FLASH would be suitable AT ALL for texture work in games.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I kind of pissed that that adobe hasn't added a constrain to path function like painter 10 did. You make a path and you can benefit from using your wacom. I'm not sure how Painter handles it, I really dislike that program even though they added a more standard ui to it but love how you can mix things with the brushes.

Alex
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    They probably want to keep the two feature sets seperate because Illustrator's paintbrush can create a vector path with editable properties.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea illustrator is the adbobe product you'd like for vector goodness.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    The point was to do it outside of working in vector. I've been wanting something like a lazy brush in Photoshop as well for some time. As conventient vectors are, I can't stand using them when I'm trying to be "organic" and do some digital painting in Photoshop.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I just tried Painter X demo and it seems to have gotten a lot better since the last time I used it, you might like the constrain to path option they have. Of course a lazy brush like what zbrush 3 had would be better.

Alex
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inkscape (www.inkscape.org) has an actual lazybrush featured built in, and it's great. I'm a total Illustrator-fan, but Inkscape is a lot cooler for its brushes, and it has a few cool little features.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Inkscape is a vector editor though. Of course it has the option to export as a bitmap, but that seems to be going way out of your way just to get some good brush strokes. But it could work well if you're drawing cartoons or something.

Man, I thought it was just me with those squiggly lines in PS. Whew. But I had hoped it was also because my Graphire is slippery...
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i dloaded inkscape to try it out, i like doing cartoons, and was curious about lazy brush, what is it called in inkscape i can't find any mention of it
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's just the calligraphy brush on the left toolbar. Try increasing the "Mass" variable in the toolbar just above the canvas, it's the variable furthest to the right. The more "massive" it is, the smoother the lines, and, well, the slower the lines are drawn. Kinda weird, but very handy for when careful line work is needed.

You might get frustrated when intersecting lines cancel each other out (you'll see what I mean)--just go to Fill and Stroke properties under the Object menu and click on the little heart-shaped icon in the upper right corner of the window (the solid one). You can change all sorts of parameters of the brush and add interesting effects, quite fun once you get the hang of the app's way of doing things.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    so no presure sensitivity?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Man, I thought it was just me with those squiggly lines in PS. Whew. But I had hoped it was also because my Graphire is slippery...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Also check the spacing setting on your brushes, I think PhotoShop's default is 25%, if you set it lower it will smooth out the brush strokes quite a bit.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    so no presure sensitivity?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, even has tilt, but I couldn't get it to work on my Graphire. Could also be a bug in the release I tried it with.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Also check the spacing setting on your brushes, I think PhotoShop's default is 25%, if you set it lower it will smooth out the brush strokes quite a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks, but I didn't notice a difference.

Don't the tips that come with the Intuos pens provide surface resistance akin to the friction provided by pencil and paper?