Replies

• Sean McBride
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome. Thats some top quality work!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Some really strong character models. I'm glad I got see most of these during WIP stages to see it being developed from ground up. Some really inspiring work.

Some C&C:
    - Besides your name and your website, there's no contact information.
    - The blurred out backdrops aren't doing it for me. I like how you've themed each model with a different background, but to me it just looks like a blurry background. I'd personally settle for a flat gray.
    - Your texture flats are extremely small and most are obscured by your character model. I guess its more to show the efficiency of your unwrap seeing as you have a close up of the character to show off the texture that way. Maybe I just like checking out texture flats *shrugs*

That's the impression I got from the initial viewing of the reel. About to watch it a second time through to see if I spot something else. But solid work dude!

-caseyjones
  • animatr
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
  • cyborgguineapig
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Nice Reel Michael.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    The back drops ruined it for me, wink.gif There first one looked so much like noise to me that I just ignored the rest, I didn't realized they changed at all. I loved the insect model the most. I think if you are going to animate them that portion should be more interesting, I found it a bit distracting at times. I think it's really good, maybe others will have better suggestions for you than me. wink.gif Really nice work. I did get the nice work I would like to hire you feeling, so...

Alex
  • EarthQuake
    Cool stuff, you've really improved quite a lot man!
  • bounchfx
    wow dude, awesome!
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice stuff man!

I went to take a look at the dhaslim/Lt.Graves sections and there texture sheets are clickable and go no-were. I'll report more if I find them if you don't mind ofcourse.
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome man. Though it seems to me that you may want to put a different model first. Typically it's best to start with your strongest, and the insect guy isn't your best IMO.

Great looking stuff though.
  • Slainean
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, I was always thought that same MGS track would make good music for a demo reel.

Anyway, I think the first model should be Dhalsim because I feel that one's the strongest. I'm on the fence about the blurred backgrounds, but the one for the insect is pretty distracting. Great stuff overall. Any reason you excluded the robo golem?
  • mvelasquez
    thanks so much people!
    Yah I'm getting mixed reviews about the backgrounds. Its a kick in the ass because i modeled, textured, lit, and rendered out each one :| I think I could make it lighter so the character has more contrast against it.
    The orange creature guy didnt make it in mostly because of time constraints. (the mgs track was only so long :P)
    Thanks $!nz I took care of that. Keep the debugs coming laugh.gif
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Took about 10 tries, but was finaly able to get the link for the video and close out the page before it crashed Opera. Wonder why it hates my browser so much...? :-/
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I think the big problem with the backgrounds is they they are distracting, well mostly the first one with the insect, because they don't seem integrated with the characters presentation. The backgrounds seem like they were slapped on a Photoshop layer and were put behind the characters so there would be something there. I think they would work better if the character was actually in the shot, casting shadows on it. Right now they seem to float on them. I get why you blurred them, I imagine you didn't want them to compete for the viewer's attention, or maybe you were trying to great a depth of field effect you can achieve when you set your camara's f-stop and shutter speed at a particular setting to make the subject be in focus and everything behind it be blurry. I think if you want your characters in an environment you should put them in there instead of what you have. Nice work though.

Alex
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Ahhh see basic idels realy make these things more vivid, I do agree your blurry backgrounds need some work, but other than that , If this was a woman, I would have sex with it until It was a pile of goo.

also Really REALLY dig your dhalsim character still. Even when I saw you first workin on it a while ago.

im kinda surprised though, your going to a AI?

Any other talent at your school near your level ? (honestly)

Im going to a AI to, so im really curious
  • diZzyWalnut
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool Michael , Knight is my favourite.I agree - needs to change the backgrounds.

I'm not sure but I think that Your "DHALSIM" has got some problem with rigging.

demoreel1.jpg

demoreel2.jpg
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    [ QUOTE ]
    Took about 10 tries, but was finaly able to get the link for the video and close out the page before it crashed Opera. Wonder why it hates my browser so much...? :-/

[/ QUOTE ]

quicktime crashed countless times for me too. boo.

That lt. Graves guy looks like something out of metal gear smile.gif

cool stuff.
  • MAUL0r
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    great stuff!

my only crit that I haven't heard anyone else mention would be that your last model's pony-tail clips through her collar. And also, that her idle animation is almost too subtle to be noticed, which is a little distracting. Lastly, since the movement is there, it's even easier to notice the pony-tail clipping.

other than that, I love your work. Very inspiring.
  • mvelasquez
    Thanks!
    I noticed a lot of little errors that I kinda just looked past for sake of time (it was a class assignment) But if I ever give this a second pass or update the content down the road, I'll pay more attention to those things.

I've only tested this on firefox and ie. It probably the way I embeded the mov onto my site. I'm very noob to the inner workings of the internets and I just used what Dreamweaver spit out.

seforin: All schools are going to have they're talented and not so talented. You get out of it what you put in. If you work your ass off and step out of your zone of comfort it wouldn't matter what school you go to. imo anyways.