Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Low Poly Character - Brawler

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
2n24cwk.jpg

488 polys... wasn't allowed to go over 500 for class heh.
Heres another one without wire.

4xwoobp.jpg

Replies

• Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Err..your model looks like it's around 1100 triangles, make sure you're not just counting the polygons in general, it's the triangles that matter. To drop this model down to 500 tris, you'll have to make his limbs 6 sided or less, same with the torso, and also reduce the cross-sectional loops. Any low poly model should have just enough geometry to properly define shape, as well as to allow for proper deformation, regardless of your poly budget. Good luck and keep posting progress!
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The one ont he left is 488 POLYS, not tris... the assignment was to keep below 500 POLYS... it's 976 tris if your counting tris.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    The one ont he left is 488 POLYS, not tris... the assignment was to keep below 500 POLYS... it's 976 tris if your counting tris.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which everyone in the industry does. Sadly, your teacher probably doesn't know the difference. Just because you have a 200 sided polygon doesn't mean you know how to model something efficiently when you kept it under a polygon budget. (Not saying you did this on your model, but polygon counts are irrelevant.)
  • Piotr Słomowicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piotr Słomowicz polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah polies in game industry = tris. But then again maybe he wanted polies, who knows. That is why I always talk about tris/quads.

Anyway he has girly feet. Hard to say from this view.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    triangles are polys too hehe, polygon isn't the same as quad... you could have a polygon with a hundred vertices, and just count as 1 polygon. So you should go for tris, no one gets owned that way.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    If we're going to be anal here you should really be counting UVs...

As for a crit:

Elbows and shoulders need more edgeloops to allow better deformation. the pose is folding them to all hell. Shoulder are also bending too low on the arm. The pose is very stiff, and one reason is that there is no contro-posto. The weight of the right leg (his right) would be pulling down on the pelvis, causing it to slant from down towards his right.
    Neck is too long by quite a bit. He has no jaw, bring his chin forward and his jawline down. His torso from his waist up is too short compared to the legs. the ratio from the top of the pelvis bone as the halfway point should be 1:1
    The texture needs waaay more contrast on the skin, you can hardly even make out his eyes which should be a focal point of your model.

3d is probably 80% art and 20% tech, so make sure you use reference, study anatomy etc.

These are the biggest mistakes that jumped out at me, hope it helps.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a bunch chaos for the critique, i now see my mistakes, and for the poly thing... that was my mistake, i should have called them quads... haha a polygon means many sides so i understand that there can be a 25 faced polygon lol.

So i'm new to the whole lowpoly thing so all this information helps. Thanks for the tips, i'll remember this for my next character.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    np man. Keep at it. Youre on the right track coming to polycount. I learned more on here than i did from 4 years of college crazy.gif
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I noticed that you separated his waist at the belt line. Basically, you threw in more triangles to have a clear distinction between his torso and his pants. But given the nature of the character and the assignment, I think this was unnecessary. The affect this has on the character's silhouette is minimal at best. Those triangles would have been better used to accentuate the difference between his feet and his pants. (which are currently just blending into each other) You can show where his pants meet his torso using your texture.