Home General Discussion

Need a new monitor

Hello dear polycounters

So i would like to buy a new monitor.
But have no idea what to buy.

I would totally like to have a 24 incher, to have a 1920*1200 screen res, but dont know any cool one.

Any one has any infos about screens they which to share like color quality and tft panels.

Hope to hear from you. laugh.gif

k thanks bye

Replies

• McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Samsung makes some nice monitors my SycnMaster 22" is awesome !
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    if you happen across any discounts for dell (they have coupons and stuff out all the time for different products) get a dell 30"
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    oh man the dell 24 and 30 inch lcds are awesome... ati had a dual setup with 2 30" screens I saw recently that was running crysis. OH MY GOD!!!!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Dell and Samsung are the best at the moment. I have a Dell Widescreen (I think 19") at work, and a Samsung 226bw at home. I like the Samsung better, but they're both good.
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    And of course you can check out Apple's Cinema HD line.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    dealnews.com and techbargains.com both always have awesome current deals on monitors. It all comes down to personal preference, but 24" is too big for me to work on. I have used a 27", a 24", a 22", and a 19" widescreen monitor and 22" was my favorite. Working on too big of a screen for me can be like playing an FPS on a projector, you just have too much area to cover with your eyes.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    I am in love with my Dell 2405FPW...however I'm not even sure if they make it anymore.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    if you're particular about color calibration, personally i think the Apple Cinema Displays are worth it over their Dell counterparts of the same size ranges. they're basically the same panels from the same production lines, except that Apple pays premium to get the best panels, while Dell takes the ones that are a little less uh... homogenic to absolute quality standards. LCDs are weird beasts, a panel coming off a line can have an 11 ms response time, and then off the same line hours later you can get one with 15 ms response time.
    so yes. ACD and Dell are almost exactly the same panels, but ACD has tighter quality, and comes with built-in color calibration. Dells do have far better input options/card readers though. and with either the Apple or Dell 30 inch, you're likely guaranteed some dead pixels... when you're dealing with 4 million of them, it's just probability smile.gif

personally i'm looking into the feasibility of a 30 inch ACD ... my work monitor is a piece of shit with horrible color and contrast, and here i'm doing color/exposure tweaks on my game levels. yet for the same price i could be getting a nice big screen tv for the living room... such a quandry.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Gauss: The question must be asked...why are you looking at investing personal $$$ to get a new WORK monitor?
    The company not willing or able to pony up a few bucks to get you good quality gear?

We use a combo of Cintiqs and 24" Dells at work. I've had a Dell 24" right next to an ACD and couldnt really notice any substantial difference, outside of the fact that the Apple version costs nearly 2x as much.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i was checking dell site and some reviews on the dell and it looks awesome. the new revision on the 2407 has pip and 1:1 aspect ratio. dat's hot. and its $669 dollars which conversed to euros is 487. the problem is that they dont ship to portugal. and the dell portugal that actually ships them sells them at a end total price with shiping and tax for the price of 1000euros which is 1370 U.S. dollars.

fucking pimps.
    frown.gif im sad
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Have somebody buy it for you and ship it.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Scoob: money is tight, it's a start up, and worst of all, the people forking over for equipment are CRT loyalists smile.gif normally i wouldn't, but saving my eyes and authoring game content puts things on a premium.

and i'm surprised you didn't see any substantial difference, what with all the photo work you do--how much is substantial? smile.gif to me, the Dells are blown way the hell out on brightness, as well as some other small differences... but then again, my brothers' Dell sitting next to my ACD was a while back, current panels might stack up more closely.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    so what does he have to do then in case it needs to be returned during the warranty period? bend over big time? wink.gif
    it's a big and fragile piece of equipment, after all.

out of interest: 30 inch model - do these still require a dual-dvi connection from the graphics card - or only for certain resolutions?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Ive read that the new 30" Samsung kicks ass, its about 1400eur where i live. I even tought about buying it but it only has Dual-DVI input so i cant plug my Xbox360s VGA into it directly -.-
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    thomasp: yes, any 30" screens on the market currently will require dual-DVI. it's 2560x1600, it's a lot of pixels to move around smile.gif

Toomas: the issue of not being able to plug in a 360 has me thinking twice about a 30" monitor as well. seeing as how you can get a very decent HDTV for the price that 30" screens go for. decisions, decisions.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    2560x1600, that's more than we get out of the dual TFT setups at work. sheesh smile.gif

i know some people who use full HD TV's instead of computer screens for 3d graphics work. seems to work well - unless you're very picky about colors, i guess. but personally - i'd be way bothered with the heat that these things put out. sitting directly in front of it, nah. i have a 37-inch that heats up a good deal in operation, being too close isn't so great, really.
    at work, we have 32-inch bravias for the testkits. i am glad when i can keep that thing shut off, heats up the office in no time.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I know this may sound odd, but the best color I have ever seen from a LCD was on a Acer monitor of all things.

I own a Viewsonic 19" widescreen and it works fine. Though I think it has a tiny bit of ghosting.

One thing you should note is that HD-Dvds will require the HDCP Monitor system in order to allow you to watch in HD. Not sure how many are on the market that have this.

LED backlights are coming unto the market now. Those are great because of the consistent lighting across the screen. (Mine has a very suttle X when its in very dark screens from the backlight setup).
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    I recommend getting two screens or more. You can have concept art in one screen and your model in the other, or texture flats in one and modeling package in the other. The total amount of pixels in front of you for the amount of money you will spend will be much better if you get two slightly smaller screens rather than one big one.

Heres something to think about, for the price of a 30" wide screen from dell, you can get 3 22" wide screens. And you would still have enough left over for a few games. I would probably go for 3 20" screens if I had the money, or 2 22's or 24's or something.