Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ingram MAC 6 smg

redmond_david
polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
redmond_david polycounter lvl 16
I posted this over at the game-artist.net forums, but figured i might as well post it there too. The specs are aimed at a third person shooting game (think max payne 2 or gears of war).

3708 triangles, 1024x512 diffuse, and i threw a simple anisotropic shader on it.

ingrammac6renderlh7.jpg

ingrammac6render2rf2.jpg

m6diffusewebci3.jpg

wireframerenderoe7.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Replies

• KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I don't really have any crits, other than to say that 3708 polys seems a bit high for a weapon intended for a 3rd person game. Also, I've never heard of this gun... it looks like the bastard child of an M3 grease gun and a Thompson laugh.gif (not necessarily a bad thing... I like it).
  • redmond_david
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, i can go from 3708 to about 1500 in 3 clicks (they're all pretty much in the barrel, but doing so will get rid of the fined barrel). I'll probably end up optimizing it a lot more, i want to make some sort of scene with this smg and some equipment.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I like the texture very nice, The metal feels like metal. Not sure about the wood, seems too glossy, but it might be me.

You might want to make it look more like this. Give a bit of more damage and a little more color variation.

ingram_m7_1.jpg

Alex
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Hi David

Nice work.

You texture a lot like you follow some guide set where metal is grey and lots of white lines along edges.

Put some color into that metal it's very dull. Imagine it absorbs one color from beneath and another from above and do it very subtle. The metal is not that bad, compared to the wood. It has the same range as the metal even though it's a completely different material. It just has too much contrast and too much of an glossy or oily look to it. I would completely redo that part and be a lot more gentle when it comes to the highlights and shadow and simply not put a heavy highlight or shadow along any edges.
  • redmond_david
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tired adding several overlay layers of different metal, grunge, moss and rust maps and this is what ive come up with so far. Ive painted over some of the highlights you mentioned. Not sure where im heading with it, care to explain a little more?

And as for the wood i'm totaly clueless, i pretty much use large dodge/burn to fake shadows.

paintmeoverwv4.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Lighting is awkward and soft. It seems to be getting really strongly highlighted when it should just be getting ambient light, and you haven't gone and put punch into little highlights. The result is awkward and videogame-y. The texturing is overall pretty solid, but it really lacks a layer of believability.

As for your wood, three major problems:

-#1 is the highlighting is inconsistent, and seems too sharp for wood. Try to do more with shadows and less with light.

-#2 is that I think the woodgrain is too big, makes the gun look tiny.

-#3 is that right now everything is going on one perfect straight line. It looks like they got a block of wood in a factory and cut out the shapes of the gun flat.

Overall, though, looking good. smile.gif

Edit: Here, a paintover on your metals. Fast and messy, but may still help.

54nma87.jpg
  • redmond_david
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks, that helps a heck of a lot, i got a better idea of where do go.

Any chance you can do one for the wood for fun?
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aren't ingram's normally those small, Uzi-like guns? i must be mistaken.

Otherwise, awesome. i was gonna suggest the same thing about dirtying ur textures, but since that's already done....
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Here, this is some pretty bad painting, but it may help:

4vrv5ma.jpg

I used a really simple/fast technique. Photoshop clouds filter + shear filter for the wood base, a little photosourcing on overlay for texture, and a screen layer for lights. If you wanna paint this all on one layer/by hand you can, the idea still applies, I was just in a hurry. smile.gif

(Some key things are the rotation of the wood grain, from the pictures I found it looks like it usually runs up the same angle as the stock. Grab some ref and make sure everything's angled right, it makes a ton of difference. Scale too, big pattern makes it look like a very small object. Also, if you do use a photosource, like I did, don't just slap it on and call it done. Just because there are notches/details in a photo doesn't mean they're going to immediately look good in your texture; if you paint a little lighting and depth on another layer over it the texture will look worlds better. smile.gif)

Edit: ack, the lack of sleep is really showing up in my writing

Edit4000: ohyeah, my lighting isn't exactly the best, I wouldn't copy my glaring light + superdark edges thing when you redo the wood. Try and pretend I did it half as well as I did the metal. tongue.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    SupRore's paintover of the wood there is a great example of what would make this look more natural.

It's a good model and texture so far, although the poly usage is a bit unnecessary in places (like the extra loops running around the borders of the handles), but the texture just needs a bit more polish to really make it look convincing.

Keep it up! smile.gif
  • redmond_david
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, im moving back to edmonton in a few days so i wont have time to touch it, but i'm totaly going to revamp this and make a scene with some equipment (some kit, gun case, bullets, dimly lit room).

I want this to be a portfolio piece, so be harsh guys, so be harsh(ly) honest.

I'll take some polies off the barrel. The extra loop on the handle though is needed, so is the "cut" around some parts of the receiver, otherwise the smoothings groups are really crapping out.

And at some people curious about the name, Ingram made a Mac 6 in the early 50s, it may look like a thompson, but mechanically its very much like a sten gun.

Keep those crits coming, and if you have any suggestions of what kind of kit/equipment.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    I'd add some wear around the handles. The soldier's greasy oily hands would wear the wood varnish/stain down a bit.
    I dig SupRore's wood paint over
    As for the model cuts and what not, I'd suggest completely smoothing the wood areas out. The handles got jagged edges that are noticeable (finger indent areas) yet you chamfered all around the front handle.
    Seeing as you smoothed the barrel so much and it's a portfolio piece I'd just pimp it out.

gijoerules.jpg
    B
  • redmond_david
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, finally got settled in and started working on this again. Dropped down the pc to 2000 tris and i redid the wood, did a normal and spec too.

Here is what i got so far.

m6render1xx8.jpg