Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demo Reel char 2: DS , SoundWave + Rumble

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
ok guys Im actually UBER ahead of this then I expected, this is literally a days worth of work between modeling unwrapping and the begining of the texturing

texturing will be a 128X128 map for soundwave including weapon, and conflicting if rumble will be 128 or 64 X 64

this is actually my first extremely LOW LOW LOW poly thing Ive ever made (all my old low poly was like more for unreal 2.0 based not hand held)

Modeling was a bit tricky but I think I got it pretty solid for a first try.

As always crits and such are welcomed,

I did just start the texturing so expect it to change in the next few days

soundwaveupdate.jpg

Replies

• Ancient-Pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
    Hah! The first character I ever made was Soundwave! :P

Looks like a solid beginning.. can we see your UVs?
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Looks good man. I'd move some polies from the heads elsewhere to the body for better deformation and/or adding to the silhouette
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sure, heres soundwaves uvs Im texturing at 128 but I blew it up to 512 to show you guys

uvwunap.jpg

Probably wont make alot of sense until I finish texturing though?
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    I suggest you straighten out most lines, to be plain horisontal or plain vertical. Having diagonals + textures of this low resolution will will make blurry edges.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    It doesn't transform, does it? Nobody ever makes transformers that actually transform frown.gif

Are the joints set up to animate okay?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude I have no idea how I would make a guy on DS stats transform unless it was a model sequence or something..
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    same way the toys transformed. they didn't have an unreasonable amount of articulation.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea but I heard for a DS there like 400 tris per character? How the hell would I even begin to make that within 400 tri limit that transformers?

Im sorry im a total newbie at DS platform @_@
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decided to do a bit of a informal update, still WIP

Also is 128 texture sheet to large? A friend of mine suggested 2 64 X 64 textures?

my hands area already bleeding from the jaggy pixeleness
    gettinthere.jpg

I believe that this guy would be around this size on screen, so at this size think im over or underdoing it ?

asbigas.jpg
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You should turn off texture smoothing in the max viewport to get a more accurate representation of how it'll look like on the DS. As for textures, yea, most DS games dont use 128, 64x64 is more reasonable.

The DS can only hold 32 64x64 textures at a time, a 128 would eat 4 of those 32 slots, meaning 1/8 of all your texture memory for the entire area would be used by just a single character if you went with that.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    you could double up a lot of the textures to get it looking better, plus the texture smoothing thing
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Are you going to shade or detail that texture any more around the legs and stuff? if not then you can squish all of those single colored polys down to one pixel. With some intelligent use of UVs, you should be able to get all of that detail onto a single 64*64 texture.

Could you post the painted texture sheet? It'd make it easier to crit.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good but not quite low enough for the DS. You're more in the Half Life Quake2 realm right now, kind of on track for the PSP. Remember the DS is more of a 2D flatform and is thankful when it gets to push a few polys but its hard work for the lil unit.

Lowering the poly count:
    - Rumbles red shin detail, could be done with textures not geometry. EDIT: but it depends on what is being taxed more, texture memory, or vertex processing power, as to what should give. If the shin detail only takes up 1px of texture space I could see leaving the geometry in. But having it fully unwrapped would make the added geometry useless and you might as well paint that detail on the purple shin box
    - the tubes on rumbles could be 4 sided.
    - Make sure rumbles chest/shoulder boxes go all the way across. So one box crosses thru the chest and forms shoulders on both sides. This way you have 3 boxes instead of 6 for the chest/shoulders.
    - The tiny blue belt on rumble could be handled by the texture, it isn't adding enough to the silhouette to warrant the polys.
    - Rumbles face could be a cube, remember soundwave is going to be tiny on the screen, rumble is going to be a flea.
    - The more polys you shave off, the more you can put into soundwaves missile launcher to round it out.
    - Push the silhouette shapes, you have quite a few subtle details that will look like straight lines once you put them on the DS. Either shave those polys and make them straight lines or make them count by pushing the shapes.

Texture suggestions:
    - Use less individually unwrapped pieces and more tiles. Also approach it more like a pixel artist would, paint in pixels, turn on a 1px x 1px grid if you need to. Literally paint with a 1px brush try to stay away from blurring details like the shine on the chest or the details on the elbows. When you zoom out (or squint) the chest glass becomes all light blue. You really have to consider the final size the model will be viewed at and maximize the detail for that. When working this small, your texture will look better if you paint at actual res instead of scaling down. When you scale down on textures that small it just becomes a blurry mess, then you end up going in and cleaning everything up making lines crisp again, and basically repainting your texture, its a huge pain.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok I'll turn off the smoothing groups

Vig: Thanks for those suggestions on rumble

The texturing done to soundwave has not been detailed at all other than the glass area and somewhat the head, Im going to be really detailing it up tonight, but Im going to be turning off the smoothing groups as everyone suggested

I do plan to have every area that has a color to have details (like the arms kinda) but still WIP right now.

Thanks everyone
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh lawdy is that some updatez?!

Ok took what vig said into account lowered rumbles poly count a bit, soundwave I really couldnt shave off much without losing his form .

I did on the other hand take what ghostscape said, and well

here looky

soundwaveGif.gif

Still rough but a general transformation idea
    Final texture on soundwave I decided to keep at the 128 and added ALOT of details

Rumble I kept at a simple 64 X 64 only

and well heres the models take a look, rip apart, say what you must, tell me everything thats not right so I can make it! Also I havent slept in almost 29 hours now WOO!

finalizedalmost.jpg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Default polycounter lvl 11
    i really think the texture filtering is bringing down the overall look.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you talking about the gif image or the stills?

The still are viewport grabs I put in photoshop?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with default, the texture smoothing isn't helping. Let's see those textures in all their pixelated glory!

The two things that jump out at me are the uneven distribution of black dots on his microphone, and the non-symmetrical backward and forward buttons. Make sure the top and bottom sides are even.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok maybe im a bit confused on what everyone means

I turned off the Texture smoothing in max , and I have my texture as a 128 only and a 64 X 64 on rumble

Am I missing something here?

and the odd thing is the Fast foward butons are the same ones just flipped, odd they arent symmetrical

Explain your SCIENCE!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I believe there's an option in the Render tab to turn off filtering. A checkbox.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    for viewport: customize, preferences, configure driver, texel lookup = nearest
    for renders: F10, renderer tab, turn off antialiasing and filter maps
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I gotz me some!

1180758965004-1.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Show us those texture flats, Seforin.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok fixed what everyone said, heres the pixlated glory render version

pixlatedGlory.jpg

and heres the flatty flats

texSheet1.jpg
    textsheet2.jpg

Oh I forgot to mention there is a alpha on soundwaves head piece and his gun area, I'll render out the gun and head more zoomed in a bit