Home General Discussion

ok REALLY off but a hip hop question

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
ok this question might sound really odd but just kinda curious

how many people grew up in a more street scene area? (new yorkish , miami floridaish kinda atmosphere)

that grew up doing break dancing and graffitti and that kinda stuff (And no im not talking about people who "Listen" To rap, im talking about people who did all the other stuff like graff' and breakin' and such)

Just kinda curious, wondering if im one of the only odd balls that was doing that kinda stuff before I came into doing the 3d work laugh.gif

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I was a b-boy/graf artist when I was a kid (elementary school to beginning of high school).

I was from the burbs of sacramento...

(still kinda a graf artist as stress relief.)
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Uh, graffiti and break dancing = hip hop?

I always associated them with white skater kids...

shrug.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, graffiti and breaking came out of the hip hop culture.

graffiti is far-removed from hiphop anymore. a lot of people still call it part of hip hop, but it has really branched outside of that whole culture.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jd: four elements of hiphop:
    -mc-ing
    -dj-ing
    -breaking
    -graffiti

At least, that's what I remember of it. It's correct though, isn't it?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    where do bitches and hoes fit in?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    That's gangsta, not hip hop. There's a bit of overlap, but hip hop back in the day was not about a bunch of thugs running around strapped, talking about their bitches and hoes.

Hip hop was definitely more about the art forms, and a bit competitive when it came to mcing, djing, and dancing. But it was not about intimidating people, shooting folks and running drugs. If you had a rivalry with someone, you'd just bust on them when you were rapping, and the crowd would decide the victor. It was about being smart, quick with your rhymes, phat with the beats, and good with your dancing, and not just mugging and trying to act like a thug.

And no, I wasn't really in the hiphop scene, but had some friends that were. It was fun to spectate, and was a great way to keep kids like myself entertained without getting into too much trouble.

Gangstas are all about looking tough, making money (illegally usually) and showing off this money in ostentatious ways. Money leads to bling, and the bitches and hoes who are attracted to that. If anyone else who's not with a gangsta's crew shows them up by also looking tough, or showing their bling, then violence is the answer to the rivalry. Usually this violence is with guns, as gangstas are generally to cowardly to throw down with some old-fashioned fisticuffs, which puts them at greater risk to getting hurt. They'd rather shoot a rival when he was slippin rather than handle things like a man.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    yea ryno kinda hit it right on the nose

I kinda associate what he talks about into 2 seporate groups

Underground, and mainstream

mainstream is those 12 year old whigga kids who watch those mtv music videos hoping to one day be this awesome over the top tough guy bull shit. Honestly a bunch of punks and cowards in my opinion, but ironically the modern cultures every day favorite icon lately.

Underground on the other hand are people that still keep to the old routes of hiphop with the 4 elements, and still remember it for a more pureity and fun of the original art forms of hip hop. Very hard to still find this in major areas, some places that you can find it more easily are areas of philly, some parts of new york (Man you have you have to search though) And Im currently living in florida and ive only found ONE place, but its kinda meh since some of them are like all churchy related..But atleast its a place you can still break and graf without getting in trouble with the five 0' or anything.