Home General Discussion

AVP2 trailer

DH_
DH_
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
DH_ polycounter lvl 18
http://media.movies.ign.com/media/746/746237/vids_1.html

ugh. While it's nice to see they went with a hard R rating, now it looks like another teenage slasher pic similar to Saw or Hostel or any of that kind of crap where the point of the movie is just to try to gross you out instead of ever really building any real suspense or atmosphere. The rest looks like pure fanservice.

The effects look kind of dodgey too, but I dont think I've ever seen a trailer that had all final effects shots in it.

While it looks like it's truer to the source material than the first AVP was at least, aside from the modern day earth setting, the rest of it looks pretty shitastic...so I'm guessing the Predator/Alien franchises will further their decline.

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    hmmm looks gory enough for me. Could be interesting.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    The Alien Headsheild made me loose all faith in this franchise....I'd rather see another good predator movie...or another good alien flick....What the hell is James Cameron doing with his time...I'll probly rent it
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    LOL. I'm confussed. While aspects of the trailer were actually pretty cool. It had exactly what DH_ said, that teenage horror movie feel. A rapeage of the true franchise potential. Face huggers attacking in ET's forest, and was that sigoury weaver? I hope not.

Imagine if Alien 5, was on earth in a bladerunner like setting, with the pacing of Alien 1. that would be my style. smile.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I'll see it. It's aliens and predators duking it out with plenty of human fodder around for the gore.

Now I will add that I would love to see a movie based on the book series, but I know that just won't happen. AVP had hints of it, but they were just fucking it up.

Oh yeah, and They get 50 points for adding in the Pred-alien!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I agree that it looks like a teenage slasher flick.
    I agree that the effects look questionable at best (but could improve by release).
    But I have to say, it already looks better than the first one LOL.

Although I think I just saw every cool part of the movie. . . so I don't think I need to pay to see it now.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    lol fox doesn't WANT to do alien 5. All these high profile people are vouching to go for it, but fox more interested in avp cause it actually makes them money.

Altho i have to say i liked the last Avp movie..this one looks quite interesting..
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    lol fox doesn't WANT to do alien 5. All these high profile people are vouching to go for it, but fox more interested in avp cause it actually makes them money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess we can be happy for that, since they would probably mess up Alien5 as badly as they did with this frown.gif
    Looks like a low-budget slash 'n gore flick to me.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Well it obviously doesn't have the feel of the Alien or Predator films, so I'm just going to look at it as a alien slaughterfest film... that said, it looks much much much better then the first AVP.

I'm sure it'll be entertaining for what it is, but I doubt it'll be on anyone's top ten list. I'll be watching it just for the gore and the special fx (not the cg shit, but the make-up/prosthetics/animatronics stuff).

People don't seem to understand how the thriller and drama from the first Alien movie worked. In today's "thriller" movies they show all the monsters/aliens and gore within the first few minutes of the film. In older movies they did it the smart way. First off, they didn't show EVERYTHING in the trailers... that way they made the movie a bit mysterious for people going to see it in theaters. The good movies had a build up to the action and suspense. In Alien you spend a good portion of the movie getting to know the crew and how they react with each other, why they are where they are, what drives and motivates them, and what sort of personalities they have. Then doubt and suspense start trickling in as the enemy is brought in. And it's not gore at first... we get to learn a little about what's going on, they examine it, it disappears.... we don't really see any real alien action scenes until the last quarter of the movie... by that point we care about Ripley and see she's frightened but also becoming a bad-ass.

*sigh* I want good ol thriller/horror movies back again.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    WHYYYYYYYyYYY couldnt they make this one set in the Alien's timeline...
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I'll buy it, but only in the hopes that the 3rd one is set in the aliens time line or at least taken from some of the dark horse material.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    We can only hope it's better than the first one.
    AMIRITE?

Still looks hacky slashy
    Want moar alien/predator style not "omg fightning tings and we r fodder LOL"
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    *sigh* I want good ol thriller/horror movies back again.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    needs more stabbing..
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Just watched the original Predator last night and the first 2 alien movies not long ago , this is such a travesty to those movies ...wow
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a hunch, but I think Per's a bit tipsy. laugh.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I saw at least two people without weapons die to a Predator in the trailer alone. What magical happenstance do you think they came up with to get them to drop the honor code of no weapon, not prey?
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    What we need is another game as good as AVP 2.
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Illusions, maybe there is more context to how unarmed people are killed by the predators, but right now it looks like they are tossing the honor code out the window. It does look hack and slashy, but I'll still see it, because even though the first one sucked, i still enjoyed it, and this looks way better than the first one. You gotta love that scene where the alien is killing that guy in his kids bedroom in front of his wife and son.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No good can come of this.
    AVP1 one was insulting enough, I just hope they don't feel like they need to 'take it to the next level' with this one.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nope not even remotely interested. They seem to completely miss the fact that cool aliens aren't just what the alien and predator films are about, you need badass characters/actors who you actaully give a shit about. Most if not all of the people in that film look like annoying fodder
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    You know, only Paul W anderson could think up the fucked up idea of having a 360 slowmotions trinitylike scene where the facehugger jumps up an egg.

and women running hand in hand with predators..

Remember the pain the last movies caused.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maddness polycounter lvl 11
    i love reading movie crits on this forum. you guys are some of the harshest people.

The Aliens series is my 2nd favorite franchise of all time, and Predator is probably my 4th. I loved the game by Rebellion, and I own all the AvP novels as well as most of the Aliens novels.

With that said, as long as a movie entertains me, then it's done it's purpose, just like a video game. That's why we label movies and games under entertainment. I think this movie will do that job just fine.

When Shakespeare and Picasso start making movies, then i'll start judging movies on more than an entertainment value.

oh and btw, to the guy talking about James Cameron. He had actually been really interested in Aliens 5, and if i'm not mistaken even had a rough script panned out. Fox liked it, but told him he'd have to wait till AvP, which was in pre-pro stages, was finished before he could do his movie. He told Fox, after reading the AvP script, that if they did AvP he'd never touch an Alien movie again. And you guys obviously know the rest.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well it looks nice, I think the trailer was pieced together like crap though. I can only hope that won't be the pace of the actual movie. Hoping the next trailer isn't as poorly put together as this one, if it is I'll be concerned. AVP 1 was a let down because of the rating crap.

Alex
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The first AvP movie was a let-down because, uh, nothing really happened in it. It felt like 30 minutes of plot and action somehow magically stretched to cover a feature-length running time.
    As long as AvP2 isn't anything like AvP1, then there's probably some hope for it yet.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    id expect this one to be marginally better than the first but still an insult to the real alien and predator movies.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    meh. I'll watch it.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i dont even remember the first one and i saw it twice, its just that bad. this one i will still probably see being the nerd fanboy that i am.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    avp1 was like this big hype shit. they said we would see aliens fight predators... We saw two minutes of chopped up fighting... And then I thought it would be the female and the predator making out.. I liked parts of it and liked the ending the bit where the pred alien comes out in the ship. I thought the fxs were pretty good, but a let down in general. Mop summed it all in his statement. smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say "that looks neat" but my effing god I havent had to put up with so much bs just to watch a video since real player was king. Buffering every 10 seconds and three times I had to put up with "please age verify"... mad.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ew... slasher flick indeed.

they completely failed to capture the essence of both alien AND predator in that trailer, preds killing unarmed women? fuck that... and as we saw from Aliens, Xenomorphs don't just run round killing people, they sneak around and capture people for their hive.

i feel like Fox has lost touch with its target audience. sure kids of today will enjoy this, but if they'd kept it the way people of our generation remember both species, they would have made twice as much money. because we would be happy, and you could bet your ass that the younger generation would enjoy it too.

i agree completely with the earlier point about building the movie around the characters, learnig about them, almost becoming one of the crew (or in the case of predator, one of the elite commando unit), being their friends, feeling their terror when you see your friends slowly being killed off one by one, seeing the struggle on their faces as they are too scared to sleep, or even move into the next room, not knowing what will be in there. you don't know what it is, but it's out there, and it's killing you off one at a time.

only at the end do you see it, and it scares the shit out of you.

the only thing that could save this flick is if a predator stumbles into some kind of rehab clinic for ex forces suffering from PTSD and find arnie and danny glover remeniscing over past conquests, who realise that something big is going down and that they are the only ones who could possibly save the earth from complete anihilation.

oh, and ripley would also need to travel back in time to rid us of this alien infestation we now have a problem with.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I read the Predator, vs Aliens vs Terminator books a few months ago. It had the hybrid Ripley and Cole in it as the human heroes. They made the Predators a lot stronger than her. It be nice to see the Predators and Aliens in that Ripley timeline. It be nice if Fox paid a little respect to series and to the fans instead of milking it like they did with the first one. I don't really have any expectations for this movie but will go watch since it can't be worse than say Alien 4. I hated the ending of that movie.

Almight_Gir I'm sure they fix the alien infestation problem with the Predator's portable nuclear bomb, I mean you can't expect them to be original. wink.gif

Alex
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    according to Wikipedia, there is hope...

[ QUOTE ]
    Images have surfaced showing that both creatures have gone through design changes since the original Paul Anderson directed Alien vs. Predator[11]. These include a return to the ridged-headed aliens last seen in Aliens [1] and a slimmer, more athletic Predator as seen in Predator and Predator 2[12].

It is also rumored that the Predator variant of the Alien, the Predalien, will appear in the film, after being set up in Alien vs. Predator.[13] The inclusion of the Predalien was confirmed when IGN released an image showing the Predator ramming his wristblade through the Predaliens head, being impaled by the alien's tail in turn. [14]

New Predator technology is expected to be seen throughout the course of the film. A new clan Ship will be seen and Ian Whyte and the Strause Brothers have stated that there may be only one main Predator in the film. Other Alien hybrids might appear in the film, and there has been no one to yet confirm that an Alien Queen will be shown. Also it has been confirmed that no Human/Predator team-ups will occur.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    according to Wikipedia, there is hope...

[ QUOTE ]
    Images have surfaced showing that both creatures have gone through design changes since the original Paul Anderson directed Alien vs. Predator[11]. These include a return to the ridged-headed aliens last seen in Aliens [1] and a slimmer, more athletic Predator as seen in Predator and Predator 2[12].

It is also rumored that the Predator variant of the Alien, the Predalien, will appear in the film, after being set up in Alien vs. Predator.[13] The inclusion of the Predalien was confirmed when IGN released an image showing the Predator ramming his wristblade through the Predaliens head, being impaled by the alien's tail in turn. [14]

New Predator technology is expected to be seen throughout the course of the film. A new clan Ship will be seen and Ian Whyte and the Strause Brothers have stated that there may be only one main Predator in the film. Other Alien hybrids might appear in the film, and there has been no one to yet confirm that an Alien Queen will be shown. Also it has been confirmed that no Human/Predator team-ups will occur.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but not really, read this script review which syncs up pretty well with the trialer.

SPOILERS http://forums.nightly.net/lofiversion/index.php/t39552.html
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    meh. I'll watch it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was thinking the same thing.
    There probably won't be a gripping storyline, but it seems entertaining enough. Don't know if I'll be rushing to the cinema to watch it though.

-caseyjones
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Uh yeah, I consider Aliens and Predator the only two real films. The rest is just mindless entertainment.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm definitely going to see it. I'm a sucker for anything that features Aliens and/or Predators.

On the other hand, it it saddens me that no one has done anything worthwhile with either series since about 1986. The first Predator and second Alien films were the high-points of their respectice series. And that trend hasn't changed with the convergence of the two.

The first AvsP movie was just...trash. It was poorly written, poorly acted, and only marginally entertaining. Now, for my part, I really did like the 360-slow-mo facehugger part. I thought that was pretty cool. And I liked most of the parts where the Aliens and Predators were kicking the crap out of each other. But there was far, far too little of that. And everything in between was utter crap. The actors stank, their lines stank, and their characters stank. And just as the extraterrestrial violence begins, two of the three Predators are slaughtered outright. And for the whole movie we know that the third one will die, because of the foreshadowing facehugger.

With this trailer, it is quite clear what direction they are going with the sequel. Violence, and lots of it. They had about ten or eleven deaths in the trailer alone. I seriously have to question how they are going to convince us to care about the characters who will be contributing to the death toll. It will probably be body bags floor-to-cieling by the time the film is done. But I seriously question the studio's ability to make that an advantage, rather than a liability.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I feel like writing my own script...
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    That trailer makes me so not want to see the movie...
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I was going to say that the trailer makes it seem like they're stealing from the 1986 remake of The Fly and Fly II...until I saw this horror on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fly_%282008_film%29

Yes...thats right. A 2008 remake of the 1986 remake of the 1950's The Fly. There's just no point in seeing most movies anymore.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Uh yeah, I consider Aliens and Predator the only two real films. The rest is just mindless entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i wouldn't say alien is "mindless entertainment"
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I read that script review that was linked to...

[email="...@#&($*!(@!!!..."]...@#&($*!(@!!!...[/email]

...seriously. This does not bode well. And I can't help but believe that this guy is looking at the actual script. It sounds exactly like what they would do with the sequel. And he's right...its crap. This movie is almost certainly going to be crap. It will have a few good action sequences. And we'll probably love the monsters in it. But the rest of the film will be sheer effluence, just like its predecessor. This is so depressing. It's even more depressing that they are releasing it on Christmas day. Could there be a more innapropriate time to release a movie like this?

It will most likely be riddled with poorly-acted and poorly written characters that we don't care about at all. It's going to be rich in gaping plot holes, soap-opera level acting, and ham-handed melodrama. I can only pray that they squeeze as much extraterestrial violence in as possible. The first film had so little, so very little.

I think I died inside...just a little. Not as bad as when I saw Episode III. But still...a little bit.