Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Guitar WIP

Being a guitarist of over 10 years, I decided to make mine in max. I made the model in max 7, but when I made the switch to 9, some of the parts of the guitar model *really* got screwed up - most notably the bridge and tailpiece...polys went missing and it broke the model up in an ugly way. Anyhow, I would really appreciate a crit. For the most part, I'm done modeling - I just laid down UV's and textured today. I'm not happy with the white stroke on the body though - it's pretty jaggy atm.

guitarWire.jpg
guitar.jpg
guitarTxtr1.jpg

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    TBH, unless you were really in to guitars, you woudn't know the difference. looks god so far though.
  • The Keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool looking guitar! I don't know your plans as far as texturing, but I think it would be neat if you put stickers on the guitar, maybe add pick scratches to show that this guitar has been used a lot. You could even have extra guitar strings hanging at the head of the guitar. Just throwing out some ideas that can give the guitar some character.

• Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Its sacrilege to put stickers on a Les Paul blush.gif Looks sweet dude but I see what you mean about the trim looking a bit jaggard..
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the top of the guitar is not flat. Gibson Les Pauls have a curved top. and although you can't see it in that picture, you can see the woodgrain underneath too (keep in mind for texturing).

in the standard, and custom range (looks like you're going for a custom) they typically use flame maple tops, quartersawn, which looks like this:
    back.jpg

you can sometimes see the woodgrain on the back of the body too, which is uaually quartersawn mahogany, that doesn't carry a flame pattern. you can usually only see it in standard models though, the custom models have a thicker laquer.

in custom models, the white banding around the maple edge on the body also goes up the neck, over the edge of the fretboard.

on custom necks, you usually get a choice of brazilian rosewood, which has a deeper colour than the indian used for standard models, or ebony, which is typically black (although, i've got one which has been cut close to the center of the tree and has a white/pink "bleed" to it...)

hope this helps a bit.
  • foxdog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very good points that I didn't keep in mind for texturing. On the bulge in the top of the guitar, this is something that I was very aware of once the model was nearly complete and I was getting a good idea of how it was shaping up. But to be honest, I wasn't sure of a good way to cut the top of the guitar up in polys from the way I originally modeled it. Can anyone give me some pointers to that end?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well, i would probably connect those verticies horisontally across the guitar, and then vertically, so you have a gridlike flow going on, then use soft select to drag up the ones in the middle and give you a nice curve heading outward.

head down to your local guitar store for a better look at how the curve looks though.
    NealSchon-LP.jpg
    96-Les-Paul-Silver-001.jpg

you can kinda see in those pictures where and how it curves, there is a very VERY slight concave to the top as well, but it's only really noticable if you're playing it.
  • foxdog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I've been fortunate and was able to model each piece of the guitar in accuracy seeing as I've got the les paul elegant (same version I'm modeling). I did take a close look at the curve in the center of the guitar so I've got a good idea of what I need to do.