3d max 2008 new features videos

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
kypo polycounter lvl 17

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some good stuff, I'm looking forward more to what they haven't shown yet, but still some neat features are coming.

I would have liked to see more about Maya that didn't involve Ncloth Ncloth Ncloth. Hump something else will ya?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    "a new subobject previewing workflow that lets you preview and select subobjects in one fluid motion and switch between subobject modes in the viewport."

Nice of them to include this bit of innovation in a handy little radio button.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah... dont get me wrong.. but i was laughing while watched the vids.
    seems that autodesk was traped in a portal until now.. seriously.. all the new stuff they are adding has been part of many apps for years now. i mean, that stuff should already existed in max 7 or 8.
    auto selecting edges or verts or polys? wow. how unbelievably innovated of them.
    for me xsi is the only app that manages to add more stuff every release they make.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lolol. i concur
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    damn polycount's "the form you have submitted is no longer valid".

[/ QUOTE ]
    I use FireFox and if I just go back and refresh the page my post is still there and it posts fine. What kind of crack ass browser are you using that it eats your post?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    damn polycount's "the form you have submitted is no longer valid". I swear I've lost a hundred damn messages to that lameness.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is lame. Even with firefox, I have to refresh the page again.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    damn polycount's "the form you have submitted is no longer valid".

[/ QUOTE ]
    I use FireFox and if I just go back and refresh the page my post is still there and it posts fine. What kind of crack ass browser are you using that it eats your post?

[/ QUOTE ]

same here.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadows in the viewport... Borislav had this working back in Max6.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/mxs6/VolumePreview/
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    I have to agree, that didnt really get me excited at all. Maybe in practice the program will "run" a lot better with complicated scenes as they say it will and that'll be nice.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I figured this would have been a good time for a code rebuild. 10th iteration, fresh start. But nope. We get the same shitty codebase, rehashed with old "new" features. I love my Max, but come on, Autodesk.
    Edit mesh is a huge lump in the app's throat, not to mention that the serious code side issues will more than likely still exist (file bloating, etc). Bah.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably your privacy settings or something.

Vassago, I don't think a rewrite is gonna happen anytime soon, given the financial stresses over there. The release sched is a real killer, probably also the Adesk corporate culture.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder how much percentage of "income" the non-game/entertainment users of 3dsmax have. Given that all feature videos were presented on architecture and other classic autodesk domains, maybe they really have so much more say...
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Again, I am dissatisfied, they should show more on rendering much much more complicated materials and perhaps built in rendering capabilities from final render instead of having us doing it ourselves...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was just dissing the videos. Max08 as a release is looking very good indeed.

Wow that's dismissive, Vig. Maybe because it doesn't happen to you, everyone else should just stfu no?. I have no idea what would classify as a "crack ass" browser anyway, that would be some weirdass thing I never heard of for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]Woa easy there tiger, put the claws away. MEEOW! Just trying to help with a suggestion/question. I'm sorry if the term crack ass threw your panties into a blender.

I'll rephrase the question so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities...
    "Dear good sir Per of whom which I admire,
    I became dismayed after reading your post about the omnivorous activity of your internet browser. I was left in a quandary as to which internet browser you use and how such an event could happen? I personally have an affinity for FireFox, a product by a company named "Mozilla". In my previous internet communique, I have also encountered the persnickety botheration you have expressed. I am able to resolve said problem by clicking back and refreshing the page. Please do not hesitate to get back in touch with me in case these steps do not resolve the issue for you?"

Much love per, flame if you must just know what I said wasn't meant as an attack =P
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    It seems Per has always had anger/sensitivity management issues. It's ok Per, we still kind of love you, ish.

[rant]
    As for Mayax08... lick my phallus, Autodesk. I can't figure out why their software is the top in the industry. I mean look at their shit--nothing new and their old stuff is slow, bloated, with an incomprehensible (ie nonsensical) ui slapped on top! ARRRRRR >:(
    [/rant]

Alright, I need to calm down and let go. But every time someone mentions the word "autodesk" I just want to punch babies. Ugh...
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    I like Max for rendering out my normal/AO maps and exporting stuff to different game engines. I use XSI for everything else.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I use Max all the time for making collision models and exporting. Modo+headusUV+crazybump+xnormal for everything else. I'm pretty happy with my workflow, sans Max :P
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    j_bradford: have you not tried ultimapper? works extremely well in my books.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    I use max for everything, unless I have to.

Well, for a max evangelist and modelling expert I gotta confess that I am really dissapointed in what they have shown for this release so far.

The multiselect option should really be a global mode, rather than having to check it on in each edit poly object. Like the polygon cage colors and so forth, it gets really tiring having to constantly run scripts to tame them if you dont A: want them on, B: want then sickening orange.

The working pivot idea really doesnt add anything we dont already use- drop an object (I use teapots) where you want your pivot, select it and choose 'pick' from the coordinate system. You can set up a hotkey to toggle between this and remember your last coordinate system. Set this to a script and boom. A pivot that you dont have to set for multiple objects- you can animate and use surface snapping tools on.

The multiple UVWunwrap stuff is just a bug fix. I bet they still havent allowed you to use the standard selection mode tools in the UVwunwrap editor such as lasso.

Im starting a new thread...
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    personally I'd like to see more of max's unwrapping tools move their way into maya - pelt mapping for instance. Never realised how much i relied on it till I couldn't use it anymore :'(
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Rick_D- just install roadkill and you're sorted
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    wow thank you so much - I haven't had anything to do that needs to unwrap like this but what a good looking tool (from the videos)

it's installed and ready to go

thanks again smile.gif
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
    i've heard from a good source that Autodesk's plan is for Max to be tailored for architectural rendering and Maya will be the entertainment modeling/animation package...anyone else hear this?