Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tavern - Fable 2 Concept

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
kypo polycounter lvl 17
Hello!

I've been working on creating a model from this concept off Lionhead's Fable 2 site. i've been trying to keep it in line with the screen shots of fable 2 i have seen so far by not unwrapping the whole house but using tilable maps.

Lionhead's Concept
inn_1024.jpg

Model ren%201.jpg

ren%202.jpg

I'm a bit stuck at the moment as i don't like the main texture that i've used on the pieces in between the wood. any ideas?

Thanks.

Replies

• Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    needs much dirtier textures. Try looking for photo reffs of old buildings and take it from there. The Geo is looking pretty good though.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, the only thing i really noticed off hand is you didnt add the brick texture from the concept onto your model, that might help show more variety as now you have the same texture shown across all the walls, minus the bricks at the bottom...

-Buddikaman-
  • Tiax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great smile.gif i love the style&modelling. colors are ok but textures are way too clean as mentioned and maybe a bit darker color with more contrast... wink.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    It makes a lot more sense to follow the concept and make the entire first story made of stone.

I think you've taken away a lot of the charm the concept held - its shapes were a lot more organic and fun, whereas you've modelled them much more geometrically. In the concept, all the wooden pieces are a lot thicker and curved. Particularly the supports on the ground floor - you've made the standing supports have the shape, but for the corner of the building you just went with a perfect rectangle. I'd go back and exaggerate things more, make it a bit more playful.

What you have is good, but it doesn't really capture the feel of the concept.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I agree with sectaurs, needs more curvy fun to it, just follow the concept more closely. Also I think your lighting method is a bit too bright and flat for the fable world, More colour to the lighting and a moody kinda ambience would fit better even if the mood is bright and cheerful. I guess this stuff will come later though.

I met the artist who was doing the concepts for fable 2 a little while ago, wow his style and skill and speed amazed me.
  • kypo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kypo polycounter lvl 17
    Hello,

Been working on this model still, taking it back to modelling and aiming to put some more curvy action back into the model. I can see what you mean that the feel has gone from the concept a bit. i'll post an update a.s.a.p