Home Technical Talk

How do you view normal maps in Maya

How do you get maya to render normal maps in the viewport? Can't seem to find a good answer, but knowing me it might be a snake that would bite me.

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    assign the normal map to your material in the bump slot, ensuring to set it as a tangent space normal. Turn on 'high quality rendering' in the viewport.
  • PolyPutty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks That was so obvious, hehe.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Also if it doesn;t seem to be working when you turn it on, make sure you changhe the program's compatibility to say windows 2000 and it should render properly, I had this problem once with a different PC
  • PolyPutty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what if when you turn on High quality rendering it makes everything look like the lights are off even though default lights are on?
  • alyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hardware lighting does not look the same as default render. You have to adjust the parameters if you want to make them look good in hardware or default, it doesn't work both ways.
  • PolyPutty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I even tried to put a light source in my scene and it is still showing up black in my viewport.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I have no idea if this will help, but you could try Vailias' Maya CG Shader. It looks very useful. Haven't tried it myself, but I will soon enough as I'm having similar problems over here.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    it could be that your video card doesn't work with high quality mode... my ATI card at work doesn't... well it half works... I see the normal maps but the model is covered in ugly black crud.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Unfortunately there are a number of funky issues with it. Try viewing with default lights instead of scene lights (the 6 key), and delete any vertex color sets from the object in question.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    An odd solution... but it might work:
    If you have Maya 7.0, you should be able to view normal maps in your viewport okay. Maya 8 has issues with some video cards, and compatibility doesn't always work.
    With me, Maya 8 doesn't view HQR, but Maya 7 does. However, Alpha sorting in Maya 7 is crap, but works like a dream in Maya 8. I hate it.
  • Honolulu_Ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honolulu_Ninja polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe you forgot to check that hardware texturing was on?
    I tend to forget sometimes to turn it on again after I use the numerals to switch between wires and shaded and it always gets turned of automatically when i switch this way.

1.Hardware texturing checked
    2.high quality mode on
    3.Check so that you use atleast one lightsource

If it does'nt work it might be something wrong with the graphics card or drivers, as mentioned above. :/
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Ati cards screw up with high quality rendering. its why I wrote that shader to begin with. They might do ok if you have a very recent model, but I've had trouble on my X700 and other cards. (nvidia included but that was a few gens ago)

Its showing up completely black because when HighQuality is turned on with an ati card it interprets the normals backwards. To fix it select your model, go to edit polygons->normals->reverse and it will look better. You may still get horrid black artifacts though.

Do try the shader. Latest version and additional documentation is here.