Home Technical Talk

Cover Letters

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
I am applying for a job at EAMythic. Before I send my resume in I was wondering if I should include a cover letter along with my resume. With any other industry I wouldn't have any second thoughts, but my theory is that a cover letter might scare off an employer with all the formalities since the games industry is usually so laid back.. then again this is EA so my resume might also be filtered first through some business-type doing paper-work all day.

Any advice before I make my move?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    So you're mailing in hard copies of your portfolio and resume? If so, yes a simple cover letter explaining why such archaic methods are being used is in order. Otherwise the bomb squad might be called. I would guess that 98% of what we see new hires submitting is an short email (cover letter) with a link to a demo reels or a website.

Advice:
    - Keep it simple, keep it friendly, and keep it semi pro, let them know you have a pulse and you aren't John Q customer #11954 but don't let all of your personality disorders loose just yet.

- Don't copy/paste some stiff cover letter you found on the web. It's easy to spot a phoney when you look at dozens a week. If you copy paste a cover letter what else do you butcher from the web?

- Don't assume that everyone especially the filter people are as laid back as the people you'll be working with. It is a business and someone has to have a stick up his/her ass to keep the money flowing, normally the guy/gal that cuts your checks gets stuck filtering the incoming email. They hate reading it as much as you hate writing it, so do them a favor and be friendly and short, giving them what they need. Side note: Remember this job is kind of boring, often filled by a female that might not like hearing how many strippers you can get for your new hire party.

- I highly recommend if you haven't already, post your portfolio in P&P and let the wolves tear it to pieces and then build it up better than ever. I don't normally recommend letter writing by committee but you might want to post your cover letter/email also?
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    - I highly recommend if you haven't already, post your portfolio in P&P and let the wolves tear it to pieces and then build it up better than ever

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering 99% of the artists at Mythic are posters on this board, I'd say this would be a good idea if you're trying to get a job there.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I have never made a cover letter.

Post your portfolio.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have never made a cover letter.

Post your portfolio.

[/ QUOTE ]

There straight from a guy that happens to work there.

Gotta agree with whats been said. post your portfolio and have it torn apart.

email them. don't send stuff in the mail.
  • JDinges
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    I've always hated writing cover letters, but I'd definetly say they're good to include. It lets the company get a little insight into who you are and what you're looking for in a company.

Although I have seen a few where rather than just introducing himself the author only writes about how awesome he is and why that company -must- hire him. That always comes across as egotistical and fake in my oppinion.
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, while you have to convince the company they have to hire you, there are ways to do it without coming off as egotistical and fake.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think its good to have an introduction and a few sentences before you put a link to your portfolio in an e-mail, but I don't think you need to do anything in depth..
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    As much as I hate writing cover letters it's always been kind nice to write one up for a company that you happen to like. or admire the work that has been produced there.

Alex
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Somewhat in the same vein...

Should you include 'shot notes' that tell people which assets are yours?

I normally present my work as a level with all the assets I've made in it in groups according to how they're meant to be seen together and I'm wondering if this is the most effective way to do this.

However I've never worked on a game where I've been able to make an entire levels' assets or even an entire section so these groups don't really show how they fit the area they're made for.

So do others show their assets in isolation? or do you show combined screenshots/video and include notes telling you what's what?
  • chrismaddox3d
    Offline / Send Message
    chrismaddox3d polycounter lvl 17
    this is a good post,
    should the cover letter be made in a .doc or .pdf
    just wondering is all,
    im looking for a new 3d job starting today,
    Thanks,Chris
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Actually the cover letter ideally should be the body of your email and you should treat that email in a professional manner . What I mean by that is write it like it was a letter. If for whatever reason you had to provide a actual document it should be in .doc since not all computers can read a pdf. Good luck.

Alex
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i aint 'fraid of no cover letters.
    a cover letter is still good to have, we like to pretend we're professional and take ourselves seriously. it wouldn't hurt.

well, unless it was a shitty cover letter; riddled with spelling or grammar errors, you typed in the wrong company name, or added pictures of yourself naked. even then, it all depends... maybe your employer is looking for a bad speller? maybe you look good naked? you can never tell with these things, they're so delicately complex and deep.
  • sub_roland
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    I had a question related to cover letters so figured I'd just put it in this post instead of starting a new one. I was wondering who or how I should address my email if I don't have someones name. How do I start the email to Dear Human Resources, To who it may concerns. Any advice here would be awesome. Thanks guys
  • Eric Chadwick
    Just the name of the company is enough.
  • sub_roland
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12