Home General Discussion

Autodesk acquires Skymatter

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=9931455&siteID=123112

So, this is interesting. Autodesk buys Alias first and now Skymatter. Discuss.

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    could we see sculpting inside max anytime soon?

in the words of Lois' dad:
    that'd be sweeeeeet
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Real sculpting in Max would be awesome, for sure. First they'd have to rewrite the viewport so it doesn't explode.

I've actually done a decent amount of sculpting in Max using the paint deformation tools. Not super great, but it gets smaller jobs done.

I don't know how I feel about the buy-out all together, though.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    so Autodesk to planning to replace Max with a strange Maya-Mudbox mutant hybrid. good news is they at least have 2 apps now that export objs properly. *snicker snicker* ^_^
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Well I just hope mudbox doesn't turn to shit mad.gif
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    ack. maxabox R1 coming out before christmas.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not so sure I like the trend of "if you can't beat em buy them out". I have a sinking feeling that this will squash Mudbox development, I hope I'm wrong. The buyout makes sense for Skymatter, ZB3 was a Mudbox killer.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Wow. Skymatter was only like 4 dudes or something wasn't it? I'm sure this will make Max/Maya users out there happy. My main concern would be changing the development of Mudbox into a less-friendly user application, more expensive and integration into into Autodesk's existing software (for those that don't use Max or Maya). Should they choose that I can see pixologic getting an ever larger customer base.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Wow that was unexpected. I'll believe for now that the only effects of the buyout is they'll be able to throw more bodies on mudbox and keep the original skymatter guys as directors of development.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think the most useful thing they could possibly impliment into mudbox, would be to open .max or the equivilent maya file natively. and allow max/maya to open up those same files after editing in mudbox.

it would save a lot of time if done right. no need to worry about import/export problems. no problems with UVW map issues. and it could even lead to better use of normalmap generation etc.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    One standard file format that doesn't require importing/exporting and data loss is all that I ask. I want to take stuff from Max to Maya to Mudbox to Motionbuilder cleanly.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    It'd also be nice if some things like baking of normal maps behaved the same in Max, Maya, and Mudbox.

I don't see this acquisition as a bad thing though. Autodesk didn't have a digital sculpting tool and was missing out. I don't think they'd buy skymatter and stagnate Mudbox, I think they'll actually pump more money into it and increase development. It's not like buying Alias and have both of the big 3d modelers... they only have ONE digital sculpting program and they're going to want to make money from it. With ZBrush 3, there's still BIG competition and version 2 of Mudbox is going to have to be very impressive.

I honestly don't see integration to the point of merging mudbox into max... Max wouldn't be able to handle the polygons. Now I think it would be bad-ass if they continue a standalone version of Mudbox, and create a new program the is solely a modeling/texturing program... Think Silo, but with the power of Mudbox, and texture painting capabilities... now Autodesk needs to acquire Adobe and integrate photoshop into Mudbox.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I want to take stuff from Max to Maya to Mudbox to Motionbuilder cleanly.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    It'd also be nice if some things like baking of normal maps behaved the same in Max, Maya, and Mudbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn straight. Max needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, in a serious way. I love the app, but it's buggy as all hell, and it's still got it's wacky ass Z-up axis setup.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Another thing is viewport navigation. It's not a big deal, but something little that would be nice. With Maya and Mudbox having the same viewport navigation, it would be nice is Max change to Maya's way of navigation or at least offered the ability to change between the two. I mean, two against one... and yes Josh, I hope this means when Max if FINALLY rebuilt from the ground up that they fix the axis directions and have thins coincide with Maya and Mudbox.

Has anyone else read the Q&A session about the acquisition (available on the site linked in the first post)? It's amazing how there's 22 questions and absolutely no answers that matter... even some of the answers aren't really answering anything. LOL. Oh well, the sucky thing is that I'm sure we'll have to wait at least 2 months until the deal is done to find out any news on Mudbox 2.0
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    So Autodesk has finally got the missing 3D piece of software, theyd already bought the leaders in everything else 3D oriented. Im sure I learnt some stuff in economics at university about monopolys being bad and competition being good?

I really hope that this just gives skymatter the resources they need to kick some Zbrush rear really fast and repeatedly haha! I like both apps but mudbox is a winner for me just cause of its interface, if it got integrated into another app(max or maya) I for one would not be impressed.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    whoa.. I hope this turns out good for all of us.

they gonna take some time and make an ultimate package?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    eh, since when has any of these companies ever started to integrate anything this complex into another package? you can bet that maya nor max are unable to marry with this. logistics all aside. besides, autodesk has so much unconsolidated stuff, why should they start it now? i bet they're preaching the usual ... things about not alienating the user base, blah blah.

it will just turn into shit, like motionbuilder. wink.gif watering-down the core featureset, bloating it all up, bugs, price increases/support decreases - up front or through subscriptions, whatever. actually, alias had a good chuck of hand in that as well, if i'm not mistaken. buyouts suck.

i'm glad i stayed on zbrush all along. wink.gif
    glad for now, that is.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm i kinda glad. but wat im worried about is:
    less competition is less need to develop oneself.

i hope 3d Studio Mayabox is good and not just 3ds Max with certain changes, which is what it'll most likely be.

as of now, the only thing i could want is proper 3d texture painting directly onto my model [bodypaint doesn't support normals maps i believe?]
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    oh great. They screwed up Maya 8+, Hope they won't screw up mudbox frown.gif
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Can we call it MayBox instead? Pronounced My-Box, we could end up with some awesome inappropriateness.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "so wat are u doing dude?"
    "playing with 'my-box'"
    "aaaargh!"
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    "dude can i come over your place? i need to show you something in my-box, i think you'll love it"
    "sure man, but i have a huge load in my-box right now, can you give me half hour to clean up?"
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I sincerely hope Autodesk doesn't fuck this up. To be honest, I preferred the clean, simple interface of Mudbox over the convoluted mess that is ZBrush. Combining 3ds Max/Maya and Mudbox just doesn't seem right.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    They're buying Pixologic too!

Whiners are a bit quick to judge this time around, eh? smile.gif Autodesk's done a fine job with Maya so far, and the next version will have improvements to the viewport geared towards game art. Apples and oranges, but Autodesk isn't the touch of death exactly, so wait and see... erm, motion builder users might beg to differ.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    This will be interesting, though we'll just have to wait and see whether Mudbox will rise again to whoop the shit out of ZBrush, or whether it will just wither away to nothingness.

-caseyjones
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Autodesk seems like an old desk drawer with 50 different old pieces of software in it that may or may not work still.

While the opportunities for combining the best of Max,Maya, and Mudbox are there, I don't have a good feeling about this currently. I'm not whining, as I don't use Mudbox right now in any case. I'm just looking at the history of Autodesk, they collect software. Take a look at their products page http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=8909451, it's fucking obscene.

I'd have never said this a couple years ago, being the Maya fanboy that I am, but Max and Maya really have no reason to be separate products any longer. A sculpt and this generation paint feature brought into the modeling package would make them a one stop shop that we all want.

The best thing that could happen is Autodesk is mum on the subject for a couple years, then comes out with a new product, built from the ground up in a lot of places that combines the best of all three products. Keep what works, drop what doesn't. Maya's sculpt for example, it's a POS in comparison to Mudbox (as I'm sure many here know)

I'm hoping for the best, but expecting a mediocre result.
  • minilogoguy18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minilogoguy18 polycounter lvl 11
    they really need to put performance first, mudbox seems to only be able to handle half the polygons that zbrush can from what ive experienced. mudbox also doesnt seem to have nearly as much tools as zbrush, they can do similar things but with zbrush having 3d painting they arent even similar programs in a way. well thats just my 2 cents but it is my first post so it probably wont count for much. :P
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd have never said this a couple years ago, being the Maya fanboy that I am, but Max and Maya really have no reason to be separate products any longer. A sculpt and this generation paint feature brought into the modeling package would make them a one stop shop that we all want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the more I use maya the less likely I think that's ever going to happen. Now that the both ship with mental ray out of the box, max really has nothing going for it when it comes to serious animation, save perhaps some poymodeling tools. Since maya will only set you back about half of what max costs, you can easily get nex.

Obviously for gaming this isn't as true and the renderer doesn't even come into play, but most people who use maya probably wouldn't want any of max's functionality infest their beloved software.

I think it sucks autodesk purchased maya. With mudbox it's hopefully a different thing though, since autodesk doesn't have a product that used to compete with it there's a big chance it might actually get better. Then again they'll more likely fail to implement any of the wishes from the userbase and release an overpriced update mainly based on some obscure notion of 'improved viewport speed'. smile.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Well after reading all this I think it was a matter of time before this happened, cuz that's how places like Autodesk practice their business policies.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    most people who use maya probably wouldn't want any of max's functionality infest their beloved software.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know theres one area that sticks out to me like a sore thumb to me having used maya for a few years after learning max. mayas history sucks compared to maxs modifier stack.. I would love to have it replace history. Its clunky, doesn't work nearly as robustly and regularly throws a bunch of junk nodes into the outliner
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Well as a zbrush lover I think mudbox was overrated, slow buggy piece of software.
    good for messing around with,making rough sketchy sort of sculpts but not for serious production pipeine work IMHO, so I am not too bothered personally.
    zbrush 3 has everything I need
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone want to play a game of monopoly?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    mayas history sucks compared to maxs modifier stack.. I would love to have it replace history. Its clunky, doesn't work nearly as robustly and regularly throws a bunch of junk nodes into the outliner

[/ QUOTE ]
    How I hate Maya's history!

-caseyjones
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I am sure Mudbox 2 will be cool. I've got lots of faith in those guys, even if they are working for Autodesk now.
  • minilogoguy18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minilogoguy18 polycounter lvl 11
    i was reading on the old skymatter website that their main focus for mb2 was to greatly improve performance but well have to see now.