Home Technical Talk

favourite training dvds?

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
we're looking at work to get in some maya dvds but I don't know where to start.. I've been browsing gnomon and digital tutors so far and theres some interesting looking stuff, but the tiny clips just arent enough to go on..

we're looking for stuff on modelling, both complex and the basic stuff you could miss just 'learning by doing' - and stuff on advanced materials/nodes, realistic texturing etc

can anyone reccommend some dvds you've seen and felt taught you something valuable?

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    3dbuzz had a bunch of free videos on how to mod UT2k4 that included modeling a vehicle and some other stuff - it was designed for beginners so it covers a lot of the important things like tool names and such.

I've got a Gnomon DVD on highpoly subdivision modeling cars in Maya but I never got around to watching it because the problems I would encounter while subD modeling I solved before I ever got a chance to watch it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    i have a ton of the gnomon dvds thanks to good old AI - San Diego and I think they are great. While they may not be something that can teach you a complete way to do something (although I think some could) it is the little things you can pick up on and learn that are really helpful.

I have a pretty cool set on how to cast a sculpture and make a mold from it and make resin casts that you can sand and paint for display.

Pretty neat stuff.