Home Technical Talk

tablets

Sarccasmm
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Sarccasmm polycounter lvl 17
Yeah I am considering on getting an tablet and I was just wondering what kinds of tablets some of the fellows at polycount have.

Replies

• TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I heard Wacom tablets are the best ones.

I have a wacom graphite tablet, pretty cheap compared to my buddies intuos tablets.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There was a pretty good discussion about this a few months back. Lots of advice and opinions from different people who had different tablets. The general consensus was that a Wacom tablet is far and away the best brand you can invest in.

Take a look at it here. smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Wacom Intuos3 6x8
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    if you have many riches get a cintiq, if slightly less riches get a intuos, if you have verry small riches, get a graphire.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wats the problem with a graphire? i have one of those, and it seems just as great as anything else? i haven't really tried much of a intiq or intuos though, so i wouldn't know... somebody care to elaborate please?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The graphire's are smaller, have less pressure sensitivity, no tilt functions.

I used a 4x5 graphire till i got my 9x12 intuos3.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    i've recently picked up the 6x8 bluetooth graphire and it's great. I've used the intuous as well and the tilt function doesn't do much for me and the difference in pressure sensitivity I'm sure for some really makes a huge difference but I didn't feel the difference and it didn't justify me paying almost 300 - 400 for a good sized tablet.

Cintiq if you have the cash though. I missed one on Ebay a month or so ago that sold for 650. Guy sold it to him to cause I followed up on the feedback. Damn I missed that deal.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I bought a graphire and an intous 2. The tilt options are very useful for me, and actually had never set them on to something useful on my Intous 2 before until earlier this year, and for me the difference was night and day. Now my tablet behaves more like a pencil or pen would.

Alex
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I bought a graphire and an intous 2. The tilt options are very useful for me, and actually had never set them on to something useful on my Intous 2 before until earlier this year, and for me the difference was night and day. Now my tablet behaves more like a pencil or pen would.

Alex

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm maybe i never activated the tilt functions then. If not then I would like to see the difference now. Maybe later when I upgrade again...
  • alyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have used a Artz II (discontinued) series with only 256 levels of pressure and a Intuos 3 with 1024 pressure. The higher pressure sensivity is not that signifcant if you are only using it for 8 bit RGB painting. It didn't seem to make that much of difference for Zbrush sculpting either.

Tilting is a nice feature, but I have to admit after 8 years of using a tablet with tilt I only started making use of that feature just last year. I only made use of tilting with Cinema 4D/Bodypaint since you can actually custom the pressure/tilt and strength curve to your liking. Photoshop tilting feels like crap to me, but Painter has some tools that work well with tilting.

I have been considering getting a Cintiq, but they are so expensive and I'm worried I might ruin the screen. How many years does the LCD with pressure sensitivity last?

I would stick with the Wacom label, but Genius brand tablets are cheap. I read they use a battery in the pen, but no one knows how to open them up. Not sure if that is true or how their support is.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    thanks guys, i've been looking at a tablet for a while now but since i've never used one its always been on the low end on my priority list. however after hearing you guys talk about them i decided to buy my first one. you're now looking at the owner of a intuos 2 6x8 tablet! should be here in around 3 days.
  • Sarccasmm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarccasmm polycounter lvl 17
    Well thanks, yea I am just gonna get the cheap hundred dallor wacom 4x5
  • alyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't buy any size less than 6x8 since I prefer to use the mapping in pen mode which sets the tablet area to function like the screen area. 4x5 would probably only be good for mouse mode if you like lifting and dragging the pen around like a mouse and if you like taking notes. A small size is not good for an artist needs. Just spend a more and get a 6x8 if you are on a budget.

Does anyone paint in mouse mode with a 6x8?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    alyen: actually, the 4x5 really isn't too bad. I used it for about a year with no problems. You do have to zoom in for any accuracy, though. I didn't see it as a problem for the most part, as it was the first tablet I owned. I got a good deal on an Intuos3 9x12 (got it nearly-new from a friend for $200 cash) otherwise, I probably wouldn't have upgraded for a while.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Just keep in mind how much desk room you have, though. My first tablet was an Aiptek 6 x8 but I had a small desk to use it and it was a pain for two reasons, it was crap, and it was too big for the damn desk as well. If you have a tight space to work at maybe the 4 x5 would be a good fit. The 6 x8 seems to be ideal from what I gathered from talking to other artists because it's not too big and it's just big enough. I use a 4x5 all the time and happen to like it, however I usually don't use my entire arm to draw so it's no biggie. That said a small tablet might be limiting depending on how you draw and paint.

Alex
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to disagree with a lot of points on here and assert only one: use what you are comfortable with. I have used a 4x5 graphire(first tablet years and years ago) a 6x8 intuos 2 and 3(my current tablets at home/work) and an intuos 1, 2 and 3 9x12(all at turbine). I was most comfortable with a 9x12. I like to paint so full arm strokes felt better. 4x5 is not for me since its almost all finger motion to draw when you cut off your tool work space. 6x8 is just fine for me. I dont cramp up much. I prefer a 9x12 to all of them, but that's because I paint. Try them out. If you are unable to try them all, try drawing on similar sized papers. Decide what works for you. After that, decide what works for your wallet. =)
  • alyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoofoo - If I tried a 9x12 I probably would have prefered it over a 6x8. It is a lot easier to work from bigger strokes.

I am considering going a 9x12 since I have a dual wide screen setup. Is there a better way to work with multiple monitors? Or I might just start looking for a 6x8 bluetooth to make it easier to move my tablet around.

I just started monitoring Wacom tablets on Ebay. There are a number of people selling new ones. The sold price look rathers low compared the the suggested retail, but I don`t know if you get the Wacom 2 year manufacturer warranty.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Depends on how you draw/paint.
    Wacom is the only way to go, however. They are the best.

6x8 is what I use, because that's what I can afford. Though at work I use a 9x12, which is what I prefer.

If you draw or paint mainly from the wrist, then the 6x8 is likely big enough for you. If you use more broad strokes from the forearm, then I'd suggest the 9x12's larger work area.
  • Silva_Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    There's nothing like a Cintiq!
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    I'll cut you Bryan! Cintiq having muh'fucka. *shakes fist*
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Stoofoo on this one. I love my 9*12 Intuos despite the fact that it takes up vast amounts of desk space and I have to shove it between my monitors when I'm not using it so that I have some mouse room without reaching way across the desk. Actually come to think of it, maybe you'd be better to get used to the 6*8 instead.

The dual widescreen setup is going to be a bit of a pain. You'll need to lock your tablet to a 4:3 section of one of your monitors otherwise you'll wind up with distorted images. I've seen people get used to this, but I imagine its still always anoying trying to draw a circle. Personally I held onto a good quality, 21 inch 4:3 CRT for my texturing and drawing work and keep the widescreen for Maya.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    The new wacom drivers have a switcher for multiple monitor setups.
  • Flat Tires
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've used Wacoms for a while now at school they're very nice. The larger versions may tire your wrist a little, but it's all preference. Personally I like 6-8 so I can span the whole screen without moving my hand much.
  • alyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What new Wacom drivers the current ones? I've been wanting to switch between monitors for the pen quick simply with a hot key.

I saw a program called WacSwitch or something like that, but all the links were dead. I managed to find one, but it didn't work. I thought maybe the links died because the app looked like a hack of the original Wacom drivers.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly it's not hard to find. This is the June 6 2007 update of the driver:

http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/download.cfm?id=175&product=PTZ

Monitor switching is intuos3 only.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Hold the phone. I upgraded my drivers and don't see any Display Toggle option in the Wacom Tablet Properties.

Edit: seems you need to remove the current drivers regardless of the version.
  • alyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am aware of monitor switching in the Wacom control panels, but it' not functional enough for me dual monitors. I would prefer to be able to use pen mode with both monitors and be able to switch between which monitor is for the tablet with a push of a button.

But for now maybe I`ll just rotate my 2 wide screen monitors to make up a work area to be squarish since it might be closer to 4:3 display. smile.gif

Wacom is the best and most popular tablet manufactures, but they could adapt their drivers for pen mode to scale tablet area to wide screens and multiple monitors. I hope they come out with some new drivers soon than add more different tablet sizes.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure what you're talking about, since Display Toggle does exactly what you want it to do - switch between all monitors or individual monitors at the touch of a button. You have assigned it to an express key, right?

-oh wait, you want the pen to span all your screens...duh. I don't get it though, the documentation says you can set the pen to work on all your displays.

http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/bulletin/6.04-4_Windows.pdf
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    sweetness, just got my tablet and really love it. right away i was able to start doodling without having to press undoa billion times because my mouse magically floated in a different direction.
    that and the setup is very quick, in about 10 minutes of installing the software, and configuring i was in photoshop having fun.however, only negative thing is i feel i'd like a slightly larger tablet, but my 6x8 is large enough to still work fine. i've read around here that you must turn on the tilt function? where do you go to do that? i have an intuos 2.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    It's in the wacom control panel but I think the location and options changes depending on the driver version. In the computer I typing at, it's version 6.02-1 and once you get the pen grip to show up it lets you set the settings. It has 3 options low, middle, high. In my home pc I had updated the drivers I think and had a bit of trouble getting the pen grip icon to show up. If I remember it has more options and lets you gradually increase the tilt. I had photoshop open at the time to test this out, and it seemed to make a difference.

In photoshop go under the different options and switch the controls around and see what you like best. It might be tilt or pen pressure that does it for you. At times I do turn off all the options for certain things, like when I gradually build up highlights for metal bits. I just click where I want to the highlight to start and hold shift to where I want the line to go. I think I set pressure control for shape dynamics and flow to tilt, but this depends on the user so you'll have to test this out.

The only anoyance I had with large tablets is the amount of space they took up, since I never thought it would be a problem. If you have a nice large space to work at like you would at good game studio the bigger the tablet the better. I always wanted to get a 12 x 19 myself but money and space are the concern. By the time I can afford a 12 x 12 I should have a nice large computer desk to paint and draw on. When I had my 6x8 I used to put cardboard from a drawing pad on top of it and used it as a mouse pad. I think if you put a piece of paper between the tablet and the plastic cover the wacoms have it would be mat enough to use the table as a mouse pad for the laser tracking mouse and you could still use the pen on that. I never liked the mouse that came with my wacom so I never use it.

Alex