Home General Discussion

Minneapolis Bridge Collapse...

Replies

• Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I'm amazed how the cars held up at the bottom of the wreaks, I wonder if the acted as a safety capsule on the way down?

Although I last heard there are reported 7 deceased.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I had a friend who missed that by 7 minutes.
    His grandpa decided to pull off for gas. A roar, and screaming followed.
    The bridge was gone, and they were lucky enough not to be on it. I live about an hour from there
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn you flash galleries... DAMN YOU!!!

sigh... printscreen, CTRL-V, printscreen, /shoot self
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I was worried when I tried calling my brother after this happened, as I couldn't get a hold of him. He ended up calling me back. Was lucky enough to have left the area sometime earlier.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I take more pics this weekend once I can get close on bike. They have it all blocked off right now. Tried getting there this morning before work.

Usually I take that bridge to work when I do actually drive. However with all the construction I haven't used it in a month.

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm amazed how the cars held up at the bottom of the wreaks, I wonder if the acted as a safety capsule on the way down?

Although I last heard there are reported 7 deceased.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Here are some interesting things I learned on my morning ride. My good friend is an engineer.

He told me it was luckily a steel bridge. Since the structure actually folded in the way of house of cards would if you pushed the top layer from the to the side just a bit. Sure it drops fast but it doesn't disintegrate like concrete would. If it was concrete he doesn't think anyone would have lived.

I also found out the bridge was one of the cheapest to build at the time for what was needed.

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Thats a tragedy..it definitely makes me wonder about some of the raised roadways around here that are under constant scrutiny by both the government and the media. I hope this never happens to the viaduct or 520 bridge, because I'm sure the resulting casualties would be even higher.
  • Eric Chadwick