Home General Discussion

Trying to find a Creative System/Place w/o Burnout

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
If you want to skip my whiny emo, just focus on the bold sentence. Yes, I saw that thread a few weeks back; this isn't exactly the same question.

I kept hoping to find some sort of housing situation with fellow artists if not game artist students without luck since I am moving. Im in the process of moving the end of this month (today really). I have found a spot where the room is a bit small, but the house has lots of storage and a garage. Its in a quiet neighborhood except for passing overhead planes. They will even allow me to move my computer into a basement area for a den of sorts to help separate my work space from my sleep space. But its also by the same token out of the way for peer interaction. I will be living with 2 other guys, who happen to be gay (not lovers). The only reason I really mention it is the lack of gender balance. If I am stereotyping, please call me on it, but its not like I expect many female visitors. I admit to being one of "those guys" who can talk to a female easier than to a male.

I just found another last minute alternative location that they will let me move into tomorrow though my application isn't sent. Its on Capital Hill, so near downtown and easy access to many shops and buslines. It would be living with 1 other person on the top floor of a three story apartment complex. The 2 room apartment is decent size, and there is a spot where I can separate my computer from my room. The downside is that it is the top floor, so all the heat will rise. There are only stairs, and the noise level Im unsure of. There is also no backyard or such. The positive will be at least both sexes around, though only as neighbors.

Which of these sounds most feasible to you all as a creative situation? The best luck I had so far was when I was able to rent a art studio space at a local art school and move my computer in. I was able to go and work at it everyday to 12:00am or so, then ride home. They eventually kicked me out however as they didn't want the clientele put off with a computer based tenants in a school which prided itself on traditional methods. The problem is though I was outputting, it was at a pace that was extremely slow. Now, I no longer can afford a new studio, or at least one as secure with 24 hour access.

I know many are proponents of living alone. I did this for awhile in a studio apartment when in Tucson, and that worked pretty well. However, I always had the University to go to work in the art and computer departments versus trying to create at home. That, and I was able to have peer and creative face to face interaction through school. Both which helped keep up enthusiasm without burnouts. I would not have this outlet if I lived alone at this time. I believe many fail to appreciate the difference between living alone versus being alone. As such...

<font color="green">A: Where and how do you find you work best and keep up creative enthusiasm?</font> What are the situations that allow you to see yourself through your projects? With distractions? Without? With interaction? Hard and fast deadlines? I myself get distracted and off track easily.

<font color="orange">B: When/How do you find stopping points?</font> When are you able to call it a day? What is the best stopping point for you to allow yourself to easily comeback. I can only talk for myself, but it's extremely hard for me to stop and start again. Perfect example, yesterday at work someone was willing to let me leave a few hours early, but I declined because I was in the middle of some projects, and didnt want to leave them unfinished. Even though I found them dull and there wasnt a rush, it would bug me if I left them undone.

Something related to both is when something happens and I do get distracted or caught up in something else, it becomes harder and harder to get back and depression sets in. So then I get fearful of starting again with the frustration of finding where I was and the fear of the eventual downfall cycle. I crashed hard this last time. I really need this attempt to work, Im already on meds partly because of the fallout of this last time.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    I personally work best everywhere, if i have laptop or not etc , whe i first moved to my tiny room in spain the day after my birthday and knowing i wouldnt see my friends and family for 5 to 6 months i picked up the laptop and did a speed lowpoly model to distract myself of it ( and took a walk of around 4 areas of Gran via in madrid ).

What i usually hear from you im sorry to say , but its a great ammount of no confidence and hoping that things get done by themselves , if you want to polish your art skills , then the environment shouldnt matter, listen to music when you are working or watch a movie , but make it your number one objective and everything else secondary ( i personally am not like that, only if i were in a crappy place ).

Throw away those meds and cheer up and go do some art wink.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny, unless you live my life, I really feel you cannot make that judgment call. We are not all the same. What works for one, does not work for the other. That said, thanks for your input of your system if nothing else.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    While I don't agree with Johny about meds(it can be a crutch, like anything, but some people do have a medical need), I think that he has a good point about how much importance you are attaching to your environment as something that determines your ability to do art. It does play a role, sure, but in the end the torch is in your hand. It seems like yours is a philosophical problem more than anything else.

It's good to set yourself up in a nice comfortable space to work in, but it wont help you if youre not already pumped to do work to begin with.

Waiting for your muse just wastes more time than you can afford. If you're not inspired, draw anyway. It doesnt matter what. Sooner or later you'll hit on something that you like and you'll get back into the swing of it. You really have to be your own fuel.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    this kind of reminds me of a friend who refused to even try to make art if he wasn't "inspired". So he barely ever made art. I told him time and time again that you can't just wait for it to "come to you" and you have to MAKE IT HAPPEN. Your environment doesn't make your art. Your girlfriend doesn't make your art. Your friends, your music, your food... those don't make your art. YOU MAKE YOUR ART. SO GO MAKE SOME FUCKING ART.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again you do not know me. By saying as such you might as well say we are all the same, or more, like you. So I appreciate your "Advice", but would prefer keeping such opinions to ones self and letting me know what you find works absolutely the best.

After all, it would be hard to say truthfully that working in say a construction site under a earthquake versus next to a pond is going to allow the same amount of creativity and ability.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    man what a bitch
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You asked for advice, but you dont seem very open to giving any of it a chance. Cant help but notice your sig right now. The best advice is rarely the advice youd choose to hear.

None's claiming to know, but everyone here deals with the same creative blocks, so maybe they can give you some insight. You're not really doing yourself any favors by being so immediately dismissive.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    You ask for advice, and push it away. People can only offer what they know, you should be more accepting of that. Instead, you tell people "you don't know me". What's happening there is you're talking to yourself. YOU don't know YOU. This is your creative block. You seek to fill the void in your life that is attention. Instead of giving yourself the attention you deserve you try to get it from others. This thread is an example of this by asking for help, then trying to make people feel worse about you or feel guilty for not knowing how to help.

Your challenge is simple. Get away from it all, and give yourself the attention you require. I'm sure there's a little boy in there just wanting to go play on the monkey bars. Your journey begins when you stop posting, and ends when you start posting (art).
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Jonny made a good point with out even noticing it smile.gif

Beeing bored can be a good motive to start making art, so unplug your internet and get working wink.gif

Overall slowing down your lifestyle and eliminating distractions probably helps too.

Disclaimer: I did not read all that emo stuff smile.gif
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the above posts about being too dismissive, but with that said, i think the thing I agree with most, is that you put too much emphasis on your environment, even though it does play a part.

I'm in school (for game art) right now, and I hear stuff like this all the time, how they have no time, or they don't feel inspired or that the assignments aren't creative, but really it comes down to individual drive to want to accomplish something. In my life, the biggest difference I see between the people who are inspired and uninspired (or creative/productive) is KNOWING what you really want to be doing. For me, I've tried to be a computer programmer but dropped out of school (even though I was getting really good grades) because it wasn't what I wanted to do...I've done construction work and other really hard jobs, and I've been in many different social situations and so...I KNOW that where I am now, is where I want to be. When it's a Friday night and people are going out to bars or to parties...I don't feel bad and sit around watching VH1 or whatever because I KNOW I want to 3D model, I want to work on stuff...that knowledge gives me the ability to focus on what I really want...If I was unsure, I'd probably be distracted all the time...and waste most of my time 'thinking' about what I want to do or about other avenues in life.

So my advice to you is...really take some time to get to know yourself and see if this is what you really want to be doing...would you rather be working on your social life? Also, maybe try getting rid of some of your 'comfort'...get rid of distractions. Also, make sure you live a balance life. On our hierarchy of needs, creativity isn't really that high up there, so you have to make sure all your other needs are met first...such as your basic needs, social needs, etc...and when those are met, we can be truly creative because we're not worrying about the other stuff. Balance is the key.

Think of life as "The Sims"...all of your meters are falling and you can't focus on just one because even that one will be affected by the others...(haha...so deep)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I can't make art unless im in a decent mood...
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Think of life as "The Sims"...all of your meters are falling and you can't focus on just one because even that one will be affected by the others...(haha...so deep)

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG so true...

The Sims made me realize doing the dishes and getting 8 hours will improve my general quality of life.

swear to god...thats also the moment i stopped playing, so i could do the dishes and go to bed.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My eyes glazed over and started to bleed about the 15th paragraph of emo BS so I skipped most of it. It takes a lot for the king of long winded posts to give up on reading one...

A: Where and how do you find you work best and keep up creative enthusiasm?
    For me I don't find it by interacting with others. I'm more of the type that likes a nice quite place. Being around other creative people is nice, but I find it distracting. When I'm at my most creative its when I'm the most cut off. Just me my brain and what I'm working on, maybe some tunes.

Personally its not so much where I do my thing, as much as what I've been doing/thinking before I sit down and create. Walks are a great way to shift gears. For me, as long as I don't have someone tapping on my shoulder every 2min, I'm golden.

B: When/How do you find stopping points?
    Work gets what they pay me for. Being salary that means I put in my required time and finish my projects but I don't keep going and going even if the juices are flowing. Outside of work I call it quits when I've finished what I set out to do that day. Mind you that means setting a goal to begin with. Which means throwing out the "I'll make what the wind blows at me" attitude. Naturally if I keep going, something more important pulls me away. But I find that I can get larger blocks of free time if I know how much free time I need.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    A construction site under an earthquake sounds fine -- tons of inspiration for art involving construction and earthquakes, at least. tongue.gif

Basically, I think you should find your own inspiration. My only places to work are a computer that doesn't meet max or photoshop's minimum requirements or someone else's computer, surrounded by people I don't find it easy to get 'inspired' near. I need to learn art though, so I make do where I can.

I get that it's hard for you to focus, but in the end you're making excuses and holding yourself back. Go do art, and you'll get better. When you're better, sell art, and buy a place by that pond, so you can focus more comfortably.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Some advice that was given to me in #model_design about a year ago:

"stop being a cry-baby and start being a try-baby"
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Oxy, you've got the tendency to overthink things often times, and this can kill you when it comes to art. I have a bit of the same tendency, questioning whether I have a good enough idea to pursue artistically, or whether I feel like I'm in the proper mood. When this happens, the best thing to do is to force your own nose to the grindstone and to get at it. Fuck the feng shui of your apartment, or your emotional state, or the smell coming from the dumpster outside. Just get to it, and force a re-alignment of your focus from all of the external bullshit that surrounds all of us on a daily basis, and redirect your energy to just making art.

I find art to be an internally driven process for the most part, and by just forcing a kick start to it I can usually distract myself from the outside stimuli, and end up doing some nice work. Sometimes it's tough to get the process started, but if you can manage to force yourself to get started, it gets much easier as the process continues.

Oh, and headphones can do wonders for getting you in your own little artistic world.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    A:I do much beter when I'm not distracted by people. My wife and myself share the same computer office, and it is nice to talk to her intermitently while we paint and whatnot. But beyond her, I prefer to have a space to myself. As far as enthusiasm, it has to do with the project. When I'm working on something that I feel excited about, that I think is a good idea, it's hard to NOT work on it. Of course it can be hard to keep that going and when it starts to wane I just tell myself not to let all the work I've put in so far go to waste. If it's something at work that's a drugery, well fuck enthusiasm, its a paycheck. I give 'em what they pay.

B: at work when it's time to go home, lunch or whatever, I just find a decent stopping place. If it's something involved, I leave myself a note. personal stuff can be much harder, and I never feel finished.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Big Daddy Justice, was I the one who gave you that advice?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I just work buy habit these days. I am not working in a job right now, buy am working on my stuff from about mid day til about 5 in the morning. The motivation to succeed and the fact that I enjoy art are enough for me.
    I did loads of stuff in my hotel room on my laptop ladt year , which was hardly the most inspiring place, but i find it easy to shut the world out when I pick the tablet up
    If i do get bored, uninspired i look at other artists work for inspiration.
    I have lived alone for about 2 years now and its ok when you get used to it really.
    just have to avoid the evil jelly beans:)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On subject thanks to those that listed what helps them. If you can, some details about how you find stopping points to pick up easily again would be extremely helpful as well. If I could find ways to not burn out or methods of keeping up with artwork without too much fuss it would help as well.

::::::::::
    ChaosEidolon and Cholden (and others in same mindset)

[ QUOTE ]
    You ask for advice, and push it away. Your journey begins when you stop posting, and ends when you start posting (art).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, first I was asking about the questions in highlights. If A makes no difference to you, thats great say that and be done. But please, then dont try to make a global attribution judgement of what I "need" when I never even asked for such. I asked about you, not me. I gave my situation in part though in the hopes I could maybe find someone who has been in mine and found a method. Unless you can state me in this thread you have been diagnosed with mental problems, and take medication, and found a way to balance all this. You really are speaking about something you cannot possibly understand.

Im sorry, I believe I know myself more than you. Im my hardest critic of them all, do you not think your socially common advice of gritting your teeth and "just" do it does not run through my head every single day? I may be many things but I am not ignorant. Do you understand what happens when I cannot follow through? Im asking for your creative systems. So then maybe I can get some ideas of how to build my own that doesn't fall apart.

PS, I already mentioned in the original post I do not particularly like posting online versus real life.

::::::::::::::
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    also oxy, i read this thing and now I wanna try it. you might like the idea

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102695
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I've been diagnosed with a cornucopia of mental disorders and have a couple medications prescribed to me. I weened myself off them about eight months ago. Best way to do art for me is in the work environment, surrounded by other badass artists. Given new shit to learn with a definite deadline gives me a raging boner. I stop when my work day stops, unless I'm in the groove. I start again the next morning. Never had any issues about it.

If you want to be surrounded by chicks, go for the second apartment. Doesn't really seem like a hard decision, considering what you've stated. heat rising? get a fan. easy access to downtown and other shit solves problems.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a link to an excellent article that has motivated me many times.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/articles/do-it-now.htm
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    man what a bitch

[/ QUOTE ]
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

Every time I read your replies to any of the posts here, I just cringe at how stupid and selfish you sound. You ask for advice and you crack the shits if someone suggests you try something. THIS IS POLYCOUNT DOUCHEBAG! Not a psychiatrist's office.
    No one is constantly inspired to create art, and yes some people will be more inspired in certain environments. But once you limit yourself to working in these specific environments, you'll never be able to get inspired anywhere else.

Feel free to dismiss anything and everything I've said, I honestly couldn't care less. The sooner you kick this emo mindset, the better you will be. I did and haven't looked back since.

-caseyjones
  • Rick Stirling
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Oxy, I think you need to realize that art sometimes just comes when it wants. But that is after serious practice and time, and you also need to see that it isn't the place that creates the art, but the person that puts in that time and dedication. Honestly you can give every reason under the sun to as to why you cannot suceed, but until you pull your thumb out of your mouth, and put it on a pen, then you will never be an artist.

Spark
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Oxy, imho you need to work on your personality and preferences before even beginning to work on your art. You are very defensive, argumentative and overly particular about your needs. At least half of getting in the business is your personality. And by all the posts you can see here, your personality would not be one appreciated by teammates.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Gay guys often have a lot of female friends, and they're not sexing them so you have clearance for landing. But it depends on the individual of course. My 2c
  • vertexrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think when a person is starting out in commercial visual arts, they approach it with more enthusiasm/idealism than the type of art deserves. You have to learn to balance your personal life and work. Most of the game work today involves the virtual realization of adolescent male fantasies (in mass) that aren't worth the effort and money that goes into them.

The important things in life are health, friends, family and community. Get tough. Learn to kick it out the door in as close to 8 hours as possible and move on with different life experiences. I think it's those other experiences with your friends and the rest of your life that will a) prevent artist burnout and b) provide inspiration.

A: Where and how do you find you work best and keep up creative enthusiasm?
    Work with music in a studio-- a studio being not your bedroom. In an office, other artists are good interaction during breaks, but virtually useless while working because folks need long periods of face time with the pc to get their own work done. People end up telecommuting between cubicles.

B: When/How do you find stopping points? This a place planning comes in. If you plan your week from the start, I really doubt you're going to plan for example,
    Monday-- spend the entire day with the computer until my eye starts twitching and I get headaches.
    Tuesday-- same as monday
    Wednesday-- etc..

Also, what you're experiencing by wanting to work a bit more every day is a need for "closure." With an overall detailed plan, you'll see that stopping work say at 6pm with planned work complete is part of finishing the entire project without burning out.

So, in short music in a studio with a plan and go smell the roses.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Draw a tight concept, then model and texture it. Okay, now do this over and over and over and you will discover how all the other great artists improve. Do it in your bathroom or dumpster, don't matter. Creativity, enthusiasm and inspiration come from within. Sorry, I know this isn't the answer your looking for but I think it's the right one.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    You guys are pretty harsh man crazy.gif

Personally as long as I have a nice computer to work on and a TV next to it, my morale is at a decent level and I can work 10-17 hour days no problemo. I also have a console on the other end of the room for when Im waiting for clients to send me stuff or whatever.

When do I call it a day? I usually work from about 10am till 2am, with breaks whenever I feel necessary. My work station is down stairs from my bed so my hours are whatever I choose. I work freelance and I am very independent when it comes to work. Im basically a workaholic so I don't know if what I do will be of any use to you, I just make sure I have the right equipment and a comfortable environment, and let teh work flow through me shocked.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I find I'm most creative when I'm either by myself, or with one close friend, with water/tea at hand, and some good music. Often times I like to come up to work on the weekends when no one is here. The feeling of getting stuff done while others are relaxing actually gives me a bit of creative fuel.

As for stopping points, I normally have too many. Time to make dinner, go to bed, lunch break is over, a friend calls to hang out, etc. I rarely have an 18 hour period of work available where I need to invent a reason to stop working or I'll burn out. If you mean how do you know when to stop on a particular area: I work it up till I like how it looks, then move on to something else. If I think it looks ok but could use more balancing, rather than work it to death, I work on another area first, then come back to it later with fresh eyes.

poop.gif
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    full on agreed with you per, that pays your bills, that will get you further jobs, you are a human resource!

I'm sure some people feel they are doing art and being creative to their extent and are happy with that.
    If you know shit, small steps and surprises seem like a trip to the moon with Ronald Reagen congratulating you on your first abstract thought.

If you are fast and good at what you do, you will naturally have more time to be 'creative' (yay!) within the boundary's, unless you are incredibly boring, stuck up in what you think looks good etc.

You should be able to focus when needed (in a professional context mainly) and yeah, stop whining, and understand what situation you are in.
    The more you know about yourself and how you relate to your environment, the better you can predict, adjust, argument, try, see, etc.

blablabla

do what you like, there is no key, there is no final goal where you are like, yeah now I'm there with all the others and always will be, it's not a race, get your act together and meet the demands because you are the only one that can do that.

Find what works for YOU, that requires a bit of thinking and adjusting but that can be fun and interesting to.

If you never think you are being a retard you will probably never find out when you are being a retard.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    I can't do art unless the art pees on me and tells me I'm its Stupid Little Whore.

I blame my father.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I usually seem to get into arguments with oXY about stuff, but understand where he's coming from on this. I am the undisputed heavyweight champion of finding reasons not to create. It's not deliberate, it's insidiously subtle - I don't feel up to it, the room has bad fung shui, I've got other things planned, I feel restless, I don't feel I have enough time to do anything productive... The thing I create the most are excuses smile.gif The weird thing is that it's a subconscious process, I manage to talk myself out of starting before I really even get around to it.

Anyway, after years of searching for the holy grail of creative environments or development schedules or inspiring concepts, I read a pretty good book (one mentioned before at PC, I believe.) It's entitled The War of Art, and it explains the peculiar resistance to create that we all get in a very understandable way. I recommend it very highly for any creative person, but especially those who find they spend more time thinking about and talking about and planning their art than actually creating it.

http://www.amazon.com/War-Art-Through-Creative-Battles/dp/0446691437
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies. I had a family emergency come up so no time to look/respond until now. I have moved into the new location with the two gay guys. I really feel relaxed there. I have the computer up now separated from my bedroom (yaeee!), I just had to figure a schedule (below) now based on my crappy hours between working overnights and then trying to get back in day schedules for the rest of the week.

I should mention its not like I have done nothing or not an Artist. I did Art almost everyday in one form or another. I just had done nothing with 3D.

I really appreciate the feedback/insites some of you gave. Based on your responses, I think a schedule would help. The problem is everytime something happens that puts off the schedule, it disrupts my concentration.

Sectaurs: Yes! "Best way to do art for me is in the work environment, surrounded by other badass artists. Given new shit to learn with a definite deadline gives me a raging boner." You know what I mean! God if only I had such a situation!

Per your other suggestion, I cant wean off as you did, is it's a long long long story, but I unfortunately don't mesh as well without. Trust me, I tried for 7 years without and only ended up running in circles. I totally had the same mindset as you on them, but in reality, it just didn't workout.

Vermilion: Looks interesting, I might check it out.

Per: I eat healthy, and exercise regularly.

Ebagg, you say that about me, yet you met me in person and I don't feel you felt the same as you seem to online. Do I have a Jekyll/Hyde syndrome to you? PM me.

Oh and Casey, a pure and simple Fuck you is all I have to say in response. Sit on the toilet next time you want to spew out pure idiotic shit. At least when Rhinokey does, he has the courtesy of flushing.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh and Casey, a pure and simple Fuck you is all I have to say in response. Sit on the toilet next time you want to spew out pure idiotic shit. At least when Rhinokey does, he has the courtesy of flushing.

[/ QUOTE ]
    emo.jpg

-caseyjones

EDIT: I just had to leave another comment, because your response was just plain hilarious! Which further proved the point I was trying to make as well.
    But seriously now, good to see you're on your way and seem to have sorted some things out for yourself.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, vertexrain...

I totally understand what you're talking about...we're people not robots! It stands to reason that every now and again, you might need a break!

Happy employees make good workers. Just look at Insomniac. Sure, they still have crunch etc, but they take care of their employees and they make amazing games.

Stepping back every now and again definitely helps imo. If I'm working on something at home and I've been spending every night for a few weeks, a few days off definitely helps to recharge the enthusiasm.

Don't you love how SOME turn these sorts of discussions into who has biggest man-jubblies? Seriously though, if you are posting hostile messages on forums, maybe that's a sign that you need a hug! Or to take a break at the least wink.gif
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Oxynary!

Ahh yes Capitol Hill...I lived over on Denny/Belmont just down a ways from the B&O Restaurant. As far as work environments go, you are pretty much stuck on that hill. Seeing as parking spaces are almost impossible to find (I luckily had a parking space but i paid a ridiculous amount for it). So trying to actually GO anywhere to work will be more of a problem than trying to think of something to work on.

For me i came out of college with some bull shit New Media degree...when i moved to Capitol Hill i was contracting web dev stuff and freelancing graphic design, when i figured out that that industry was a load of shit, and that games are where I really wanted to go (3D scared the shit out of me at first). I took the "How to model a character in 3DS Max" course up at Seattle Central Community College. It was on Saturdays from 9-5 and it was awesome. I was totally pumped to learn and with other people there i met friends and quickly started to get creative. For the first time in a long time i was drawing cool characters! I'd rush home that day from class and stay up all night working away in my ghetto apartment with a tall irish creme latte as company. If i got bored or needed to get some inspiration I'd go walk around Broadway, or have a friend pick me up (since they couldn't find parking).

Sorry man i don't know your situation just hearing that you were up on Capitol Hill brought back a lot of memories. Seriously, if you are looking for cool environments to work, (this was a couple years back) but I always liked the local coffee shops. Most people were working away and if I got bored i could people watch. Victrola's was cool, B&0 was fun but a bit too noisy, Zokas over towards Wallingford was cool too.

Hope that helps.

I work from 10pm - @2:30am then go to my real job at 10am. Rinse/repeat. If I get bored/burnt out i just look at work
    that that is totally awesome and makes me think "wow i need to practice", or I watch a totally cool movie (usually fantasy based).
    B
  • OGRE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What an odd coincidence. I just moved to Seattle and live with two gay guys too! Unfortunately they don't have a lot of female friends though... so that's quite unnerving. But hey, less distractions while I'm getting on my feet right now - and from my progress so far, I am not complaining (much).

I actually work from home most of the time and rarely go into the studio save for the occasional meeting. I have trouble working anywhere there are people to tell you the truth. I'm a very sociable person, but I'm also very keen of my surroundings. Meaning - just knowing there is another person in the house, and could come into my room and bother me at any given time - bugs me (mostly cuz I jerk off nonstop). I don't like it one bit, I like complete solitude and plan to move into a studio apartment downtown in the coming months. I tend to plan my work hours around the night and early AM hours to truly be in my element when it's most important, but that's not to say I can't do great work on a Sunday afternoon while my roommates are cleaning, blasting (gay) music and giving eachother rim jobs.

Obviously flexibility is key for creative positions - you need to work on this. There is no way around it, you need to improve that aspect of your work ethic. All of us have ideal environments and mindsets to work in - surpassing that little problem will put you in the upper echelon of truly marketable artists.

As for meds and problems, becoming depressed, etc - I know how that can affect work more than most. Personally, I am useless without my zoloft. I've struggled through bouts of extreme depression and creative droughts for years and years; thousands of failed creative attempts and 5 different medications later - I am happy, have a medication which totally and completely addresses my inherit bias towards a sad and lethargic existence. I can pump out a character in a day or two now (although admittedly my out of date portfolio doesn't reflect all this new art Im doing) - and it's a great feeling. I think you may be putting your art on a pedestal as well...just remember, it's only art and it will never be perfect.

As for stopping points - I usually stop when the sun rises. More realistically for your case - try to stop when it's still interesting. If you've got some tedious points coming - and it may be hard to start on them, save some interesting areas to work on inbetween the boring parts. It might screw with your pipeline a bit, but it will probably help as well. I know I like to stop working on something when I hit a milestone... obviously this is common, and hopefully you've tried that.

I'm goin to point you towards www.liferemix.net - there are plenty of posts/blogs from designers on how to streamline work processes, keeping inspiration, taking breaks for the better of the project - leading a happier, clutter free, minimalist life style.

Apologies for the extended reply, but hopefully this helps.

Oh, and for the record I don't jerk off non stop - that was a joke. kinda.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I find the ancient tantric art of kitten dousing helps me reach the dizzy heights of creative euphoria.

Failing that i shout a lot til my work comes right

• IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10

Per nailed it. If you cant get your things in order and get down to business you need to figure it out.

I struggle with some of the Arch Viz stuff I do but it really comes down to sitting down and rocking out. Doing suburban remodels isn't the most exciting work. I just push hard because the faster its done faster I am back to working on my portfolio or doing something else I enjoy.