Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
Someone played it? It is fun to play?

I cant play it because im from germany. frown.gif

Replies

• raydog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the demo is a bit short to my liking. However, it does give you some idea as to the combat and (unique?) fighting mechanics that they've employed in the game. I downloaded it on Friday and I've been replaying it ever since. I'm currently playing Ninja Gaiden so my first assessment of it wasn't fair because Ninja gaiden has a more frenetic pace because he's a ninja after all. So when I first played it, the lack of a jump and block button was uhh...lacking. But then, when I looked at the combo list. There's just so much , that it would take time to master all of them and know when to implement them. So there's some depth there, which I like, because I'm into fighting games. I have yet to pull of an aerial move, of which there are several. Finally, I wanted to be able to move the camera around like in Ninja Gaiden, but I didn't have that option in Heavenly Sword. You can only pan the camera from right to left. I wanted to be able to zoom in or even get a first person view so I could just check out all of the heavenly goodness. Anyway, this will be a must buy for me.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Hoho. Such a good cutscene.

Watch the 2nd Video
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, best cutscene ever! smile.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Demo was great imo, but very short.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Great vid and awesome characters!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    That cutscene was wicked. The facial animation was awesome!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    watched it 5 times over so far.. love that cutscene haha
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    That was great.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serkis is absolutely outstandinding as that King dude. The man never ceases to amaze with his talents and roles.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    here's serkis behind-the-scenes
    http://www.serkis.com/heavenly/index.htm

that is a fucking cool cutscene
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    really excellent performance out of those characters!
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    This game is starting to look pretty fucking good mad.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The framerate is still ass though frown.gif
    Hopefully it'll be revamped by the time it ships. The new MGS4 trailer had a much higher framerate than the ones shown in the past, so I'm hopeful...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Did anyone else find the basic movement to be a little overly unresponsive. She seems to take far too long to change direction when running which while perhaps realistic feels really nasty in a game that really needs to be fluid. The lack of jump kind of bugged me too, but I imagine that'd be something that wouldn't feel quite so irksome if the game was played from the beginning through the introductory sections.

I hope they take some time to refine the controls before release. It'd that they be left as they are in a game that otherwise seems pretty polished.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Damn, I do believe that's the very first convincing acting ive seen in a game cutscene. thats some damn good creative direction if you ask me.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Fuuuuuck. Thats a perfect damn cut scene. I was completely entertained.

going to have to get a damn ps3 soon...
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't agree more Chaos smile.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hoho. Such a good cutscene.

Watch the 2nd Video

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell if we've leaped ahead a few years there, or finally just caught up, but that was brilliant.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    That's the best game cutscene I've ever seen, I'm stunned.
    Shame the game doesn't look like my kinda thing, those constant slash combo games bore me to tears.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    awesome cutscene

just so you guys know, weta made those. That's why they're so farking awesome.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Finally games can compete with movies!? smile.gif ...I have to buy it!
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that was an impressive cut scene! I don't ever watch the same video twice, but i had to watch this one 3 times, Great stuff!!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if ever there was a game that made me wanna buy the PS3....

that cut-scene ["the second one"] was awesome. i love the whole "cinematic-experience" that games are moving towards. The only thing i'm thinking is that, gameplay wise, isn't this game just Devil May Cry with a girl and a different story? those with the demo please spill the beans crazy.gif
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Watching it again, anyone else catch shades of the Big Lebowski in the laugh montage?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Its more like God of War with a girl and different story, right down to the chained blades and annoying timed button sequences. Not that theres anything necessarily wrong with trying to stand alongside the best of the genre, but it does set them up for people to compare the two games and in terms of gameplay I'm not convinced it can beat its PS2 predecessor. Mind you thats based on several plays of a 5 minute demo.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Completely pwns GOW in the cinematic department IMO, if they can get close with the gameplay then they've got a great game on their hands cool.gif. I think the story telling in the cut-scenes is whats gonna get people hooked, I'm already amped.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I completely agree with you Jackablade, that it just feels like God of War with a girl character, especially with the chained blades. The environments looks nice, but I still like the look of God of War 2 slightly more. Especially seeing as it was made with ps2 specs.
    But the cutscene... WELL! Different story altogether. Great lip sync, stunning characters, looked completely amazing! Hopefully the gameplay can match the quality of the cutscenes.

-caseyjones
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    The facial expressions of the snake woman are incredible! PS3 price is still too high to justify buying one yet though; still incredible cutscene!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh god of war... good point... not devil may cry...

if im not wrong, its being made by sony themselves right? so its like zero chances of a 360 release? dang
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    AFAIK It's being developed by Ninja Theory, who are based in England. I think they just signed a contractual agreement to Sony that it'll be exclusive to PS3.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    exclusive... or "exclusive" like devil may cry 4 and gta 4?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    from what microsoft said - they passed on the game.. I think it's gonna stay ps3 only
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    exclusive... or "exclusive" like devil may cry 4 and gta 4?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sony is the publisher, so, exclusive.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I loved the cutscene, very awesome facial expressions. I can't help but feel that this is a step in the wrong direction for games though. The cutscene feels so separate from the actual gameplay, it might as well be a short or movie in itself released, if their goal is just to tell a story well. From looking at the gameplay, it looks like they could have spent that time/money/effort on making it a lot more fun, which is what a games primary directive should be anyway.

Who cares if the king's lips move correctly, if her legs don't actually impact the characters in game? I'd rather see that time spent on making the animations in the game match up 100%, the art direction work completely, and the gameplay be smooth and fluid. Right now the art direction of the main character is really wonky. Her face has tons of photosource when you get up close, and looks fairly realistic, but if you get back even a little, it blends into flat flesh tone, and she looks almost cel-shaded.

I just feel like this is another case where gameplay is taking 2nd place to story, to the detriment of the gameplay.

poop.gif
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I loved the cutscene but think the game looks boring. I'd check it out if someone had it fired up next to me, but I would never buy it as it stands.

Ben, I don't think that the story being well acted and written is hurting the gameplay really. They simply paid a lot of money to have the cutscenes done right by a very solid studio. As we both know, throwing money at the gameplay doesn't really equal a better game. smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I think I'm the only person I know that wasn't bowled over by the cut scene. I appreciate the fantastically fleshy, fluid looking facial animation, but I found the mocap awkward, and the extreme over acting a little uncomfortable to watch and hard to follow.

I think what Poops driving at, is that you're in danger of going down a dodgy path when you put that much effort and dollars into cut scenes, and I'd be inclined to agree. EA spend millions in this way, on both rendered and in game cut scenes, and it was everything that I hated about the company /mumbles something about dressing mutton as lamb.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    gahahh!
    Finally cutscenes that arent just the general parade of lame, and bad animation.
    There is nothing worse than a bad framerate....
    In a cutscene.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Then again, Blizzard and Square Enix are even worse offenders when it comes to spending bajillions on cinematics that are even less important to the gameplay and it sure hasn't hurt them much.

Then you look at a game like Metal Gear Solid that can actually be beat faster than it takes to watch all the cutscenes. Did the focus on cinematics make it a worse game? Does it matter? MGS is totally awesome. Is it necessary to be totally awesome +1?

I'm really playing devil's advocate though. I would prefer the money invested into better tech for animation/physics/AI/etc than fancy movies. I would prefer the money spent on a longer, less crunched up development cycle. I would prefer it spent on hiring top talent to create the game instead of act in it.

But some companies can pull off good stuff even while wasting tons of moolah on movies, and good movies can help enhance the game, so it doesn't appear to be an inherently bad thing.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice cut-scene. The characters look really stylish.
    Its very well written, nicely acted and the overall scene just feels right for me.

But I am afraid, from what I seen and heard so far, the game will play 3 - 5 hours or so? For a player that might be a high price to pay for fancy cut-scenes.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darn... it is exclusive...
    but still, now that i've thought about it... its not only the graphics and cinematic experience that make a game for me... the gameplay has gotta rule, and this is just the same [looking at least] as quite a few other games on the shelves that are non-exlusive....
    360 it is.

it still looks sooooo great!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I don't like the look of the gameplay which is indeed the main thing (too many *paf *paf impressive looking but pathetic feeling attacks..) but still find myself liking/identifying with the 'brand' because of the cutscene.. I *want to like it, which is quite a powerful effect since before seeing the cutscene I couldnt give a monkeys either way. So I would say that the money was well spent, if I was even halfway inclined to buy it before I'd have been swayed now. I'd need a ps3 first of course tongue.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    From what I've seen of the gameplay, it hasn't swayed me to buy this game. In fact, it has done quite the opposite. I'd need to see something really impressive before I fork out a thousand dollars to buy a PS3 and this game.

-caseyjones
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    It played ok, fairly decent framerate some/most of the time. Nice finishing moves. Nice waterfall.

I saw her pants.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I dont like her hair, it looks too clayish/cartoonish, like it were from different game. I think on the old screens the whole game was more cartoony and the hair was bareable but now it distracts me way too much. They should have done something about it even if its "important" element of the character cause they obviously cant pull it off technically but whatever.