Home Technical Talk

Cameras using JS_NormalMapper for MR

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dnorth polycounter lvl 18
Doe anyone know if there's a way to render normal maps in Mental Ray for Maya using JS_NormalMapper in anything other than the default perspective camera? In other words, everything works great until I create a camera and try to render using it.

Replies

• Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    theres a mr and a software version of js, just visit jan sandstroms site and they're both there.
  • dnorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I've got both of them. The MR one works fine in perspective view, but doesn't seem render normal maps in a user-created camera.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure, I never had any problems with JS. What happens when you try to render through a camera? Error message, or just bad renders?

You're using the same JS version as your Maya version I assume, don't think a different version would work anyways.
  • dnorth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I've always had really good success with the Maya software version.

With the MR one, I'm using it in Maya 7 - it doesn't seem to have all the different version for different versions of Maya - just one. My Maya version could be the issue.

As far as results, no errors, just renders the model as if it didn't have normal maps hooked up at all.

I may just have to work with the persp camera for the render. Thanks for the replies.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can actually attach your persp camera to a curve or whatever for animation, but still thats not a solution.