Home General Discussion

Real Time for Web Applications

Hello, I'm looking for other programs that are similar to programs like Anark, which produce real time 3D for the web. My company has been using Anark for awhile and its been great so far, with the exception of no real time shadows. We've had to bake textures, which is incredibly time consuming. Can I get some suggestions on other programs like Anark, that would possible have real time shadowing?

Thanks!

Replies

• Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not sure exactly what you guys are doing, but if you're looking to do real time 3d web applications the next version of Flash might be useful for you. The new version has Action Script 3.0, a new version of the flash scripting language, which grants Flash access to the GPU. This makes Flash able to do a lot more than it could before, including actual 3d. I'd suggest looking up Papervision3D if you want to see some examples of whats possible with the new Flash.

Again it would depend on what you are doing, but the new version of Flash might be a viable option. Good Luck
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Shockwave 3D? I believe it's what http://www.maidmarian.com/ uses. Apparently they like it.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I used to use Electric Rain's Swift3d plugin for Flash to get 3D into flash format. Maybe that will help you?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    looks nice but swift3d is just vectored frames based on 3d.

for real time 3d your options are thin on the ground. Director can run openGL 3d quite well, however there are no fancy things like real time shadows. In all cases I think you'll be looking at NO real time shadows, and have to bake whatever shadows you want as textures.

I hear blender has a web plugin, you might want to take a look at that if you don't mind people installing plugins.

Flash is a tough cookie at the moment. the API for papervision is for genius programmers only. One day it will be a bit more digestible. Still no realtime shadows though.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    quest3d.com

for an example:

http://www.gamicalstudio.com/uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=88

I've been using it as rapid prototype for years for 3d apps. Easy to use, but its a bit costly.