Home General Discussion

harry potter 7 --> !!SPOILERS!! <--

i won't make this a spoiler filled thread, unless others have read it too.

but:
oh----my----GOD!

if u _have_ read it, and want to insert spoilers, just mark them clearly like so:

SPOILER!!!
didn't like the epilogue... to childish-type
SPOILER!!!

if enough of u have read the book... i'll go crazy with my review of it

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    It's odd, i've read all the spoliers and I still want to read it.
    Why? Because I want to see which is true.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Read it. It's amazingly well written to not read. People might think that JK got lucky with an appealing book, but this book shows that she's definately got skills.

SPOILER
    Snape being nice was the biggest 'shock' to me. i knew it would happen, it was kinda' 'obvious' but the way it was shown was still amazingly done.
    Hedwigs sudden death was a beautiful yet sad way of showing how death affects all.
    Moody's death shows the same. No matter how strong a 'dark-wizard-hunter' you are, one mis-step, and ur doomed.
    Fred shouldn't have had to die. Neither of the twins shoulda died. _i_ nearly died when i read that... by far the saddest part of the book.
    Lupin and Tonks didn't need to die. Bellatrix' death by the hands of Molly was great. Another act of love i guess?
    I loved how the 2 times that the hallow hit harry with the killing curse, it worked out for him. made sense really... both times, "Voldemort died."
    Nagini [which is "female snake" in hindi smile.gif] was killed by Neville... good. That may have been a step towards showing that both harry and neville were the ones [or the two i guess?]
    The prophecy still remains unexplained though. Wasn't one supposed to kill the other? But didn't voldemort just kill himself in his arrogance? it was well done though, voldemort killing himself, but was... weird at the same time.
    While i hoped that Harry woulda used the kiling curse, just to show his determination, and how much he 'meant it,' it was great to see harry's 'signature' bring about the end of the dark lord.
    SPOILER
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]

Hedwigs sudden death was a beautiful yet sad way of showing how death affects all.
    Moody's death shows the same. No matter how strong a 'dark-wizard-hunter' you are, one mis-step, and ur doomed.
    Fred shouldn't have had to die. Neither of the twins shoulda died.
    Lupin and Tonks didn't need to die. Bellatrix' death by the hands of Molly was great.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never read a harry potter book and have no idea who those characters are, but Jesus, that sounds depressing.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    I might make a harry potter model for UT3, just so I can blow him him the fuck away with a rocket lawn-chair. Harry's a fucking dork (the actor), I don't mind the movies though they are a bit of fun. Got to 3nd base in the movie theater while watching one when I was younger, probably scarred some little kids for life frown.gif sorry
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    whats 3nd base?
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Woops I meant 3rd confused.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ic, i had some weird ideas percolating in my head...
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got to awesome'nd base at Snakes on a Plane
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    /me flails around like Kermit the Frog yelling "YEAAAAAAAH!!!!"

lots of good stuff in it.

though i do agree about the epilogue but i think, like i've seen talked about elsewhere, that it may be due to JK Rowling having written it so long ago. her writing ability has greatly improved as the series progressed. i think she only did a small re-write on it when she was writing Deathly Hallows.

SPOILER

[ QUOTE ]
    Nagini [which is "female snake" in hindi ] was killed by Neville... good. That may have been a step towards showing that both harry and neville were the ones [or the two i guess?]

[/ QUOTE ]
    but then wouldn't that make Dumbledore, Ron, Hermione, and Crabbe (or was it Goyle that cast the curse fire spell?) also be the Chosen Ones too? they all destroyed a Horcrux.

End of SPOILER
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did snape turn out being nice?
    Elaborate.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah good point Asherr. i'll zip my lip now. i read the book too fast methinks!

@Jimmies:
    SPOILER
    After snape dies [witnessed by Harry and his posse] harry goes upto him and sees a floating 'thought' [like the ones in the pensieve]. Snape says something like 'take it' so harry puts the 'thought' in a little container. Snape speaks his last words "look at me" and he ends with harry looking into his eyes [how touching]. Then the group go to the headmasters office, where the password is "dumbledore" as set by snape. When harry puts the thought into the pensieve and sees it, he sees the following:
    snape used to love Lily Potter since 'before school'. During school, they got divided into different houses, but still met each other. Snape hated James, Lupin, Sirius since the start. Lily [who has slit-like eyes by the way?] slowly started liking James [even though he was explained to be a jackass]. Lots of things happens, there is a fight between lily and snape [he calls her a mudblood by mistake]. Thought flashes to way in the future. [i dont recall entirely but this is how it goes]. We see snape the deatheater begging to voldemort to spare lily and take the others. Ultimately they all, but the boy, die. So now snape goes to dumbledore [rather, dumbledore comes to him] and he explains how, if he truly loved Lily, then snape wuold do his best to help Harry. Snape agrees to look after him. Then tidbits are explained. We see that parts in which we were made to believe Snape is mean, were actually parts where snape was helping harry. A couple of memories later:
    we see snape running into dumbledore's office. Dumbledore has an injured hand, and next to him, there is a broken ring and the gryffindor sword. [i assume u know im speaking of part six and the broken horcrux?] in an exchange, we learn that dumbledore has less than a year to live. dumbledore then asks a favour of snape. In simple terms, he wanted to die by snape's hand. I have a theory of why that is, but i won't elaborate. Anywho, snape didn't want to, but "for the greater good" he agreed to it, and hence,dumbledore dies.
    Even after this, we see that Snape has been helping harry along all the way through the 7th book. He helped him find the sword of gryffindor using his patronus [which is a doe, much like Lily's] among other things. Snape is ultimately good, as we see.
    !!!spoiler spoiler spoiler!!! MAJOR ONE
    oh and snape also reveals in this 'thought' that harry has to 'die' by voldemorts hand as he is the last horcrux.
    !!!spoiler spoiler spoiler!!! MAJOR ONE
    SPOILER
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was a great ending to the series.

SPOILERS

I thought it was pretty weak when the Weasley's mom ended up killing Bellatrix Lestrange. Really, the only kind of magic she ever does is when she's preparing dinner, and then she's able to take out the second most powerful dark wizard on her own? I thought it should have been a Hermione/Neville/Lestrange showdown, where Hermione hits her with a stunning spell (a bit of payback for what Lestrange does to her earlier in the book), then Neville comes in and stabs that bitch in heart with the sword of Gryffindor, finally getting revenge for his parents. That's how I would have wrote it...and then Fred wouldn't have had to die.

END SPOILERS

I was really wondering how she was going to finish this one off. It seemed at the end of the Half Blood Prince, Harry and the gang had so much left to do with the whole Horcrux business. I was thinking the last book could easily be the longest, and most 'by the numbers', one, but Rowling make it work. And she threw in enough twists and turns to keep it interesting. I thought Half Blood Prince was a little flat (except for the Voldemort origins parts) but the series ended on a real high note for me. Ok, enough nerding out...
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man, I knew that he would be
    lawl
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    SUPER SPOILERIFFIC (for reals)

FunkaDelicDass >> Harry himself explains (indirectly) how Mrs Weasley was able to take down Bellatrix. When Lily gave her life to save Harry as a child, her "love" acted as a charm to protect him. Similarly, Harry gave his life to protect everyone and therefore they were all unharmed during the final showdown. If not for that, most everyone would be dead because Voldemort was going nuts.

Silly, really. Lots of characters die to protect other people and they don't cast crazy invincibility spells over everyone, but Harry Potter is not a good series for obsessing over details to begin with. Lots of plot holes and inconsistencies and that sort of thing.

As an aside, the epilogue was childish, girly, and lighthearted but that is how the whole thing started so I found it appropriate. Ultimately Harry and Voldemort both dying for good would have been the most powerful ending, but I can appreciate a well-done happy one too.

/SPOILARZ
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Harry Potter is not a good series for obsessing over details to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehahah you've obviously never looked at the Harry Potter fandom. wink.gifsmile.gif