Home General Discussion

Where have all the platformers gone?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
First I’d like to state that I’m an old school gamer, I grew up in the 8 bit and 16 bit golden era of gaming. By the time the original Sony Playstation came out I was already in my late teens, up until then my favorite genre’s growing up were platformers, RPG’s, fighting games, and shooters “ie” top down and vertical shooters! With that said technology has advanced further and further giving us much more realistic and immersive worlds to play in, and has bred new genres like shooters, sandbox games, etc! What has me bothered as I look across the gaming landscape though is the extinction on one of my favorite genres which is the 3d platformer, I mean the only game of its kind I see on the horizon is Mario galaxy! The new Ratchet & Clank while awesome looking isn’t really a tried and true platformer and leans more in the 3p shooter category. Something like Mario, Crash, and Sonic, even Nights represent the true essence of what I love about the genre.

As much as I enjoy fragging it up with my buddies in the latest shoot em up bang bang game I can’t help feeling deprived in my gamers diet! I fired up my PS2 and loaded up the original Jak and Daxter and had a blast, it’s been so long since I’ve played a game that just rewards me for getting from point A to point Z without firing a shot! It’s a truly relaxing thing to just runaround and play in an environment without worrying if you’re going to get sniped. I realize the new generation of gamers grew up on Master Chief instead of Mario but are all these kids today playing FPS’s and sports games? I had such high hopes for Nintendo but it seems like casual games hijacked the market much like FPS’s in there hey day and my hopes of seeing titles like this coming out of the big “N” are pretty much futile. Anyway I was just wondering if there are any other platformer fans out there and if you guys miss the genre as much as I do. By the way does anyone know of any game along these lines coming out, or better yet is anyone working on something like this?

Marcus

Artist - Kaos Studios

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Xbox Live Arcade has probably got some good stuff for you. Little Big Planet is looking to be great. Psychonauts was an amazing game, could be considered a platformer maybe. :P

I thought the new Ratchet and Clank looked pretty platformery... I dunno, there are quite a few games like this around. I'd definitely not say they're extinct. The genre was done a LOT back in the day though, so it's natural that it got phased out a bit.
  • Bort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bort polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, the traditional 3d platformer is nearly dead. Morphed into either mediocre licence affairs or action games. sign.

There is the new Banjo Kazooie but Rare have said they are 'updating' it. ;(.

On the Wii there is Dewy's Adventure. Borderline marble/platformer but the controls look a bit wank.

Ice Age 2 and Ratatouille (pc or ps2 version, 360 version was messed with) are reasonable licence ones.

Indie/freeware 3d platformers are rare. All the love goes to 2d ones. Endless amounts of them floating around.

Older 3d platformers you should try if you haven't yet include Klonoa 1 (ps1) and 2 (ps2); Stunning series. Billy Hatcher (gc).

And if you are desperate. Ty the Tasmania Tiger 1, not 2 or 3. Complete N64 era rip off.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I absolutely love the Klonoa series and I wish Namco would revisit it, can you imagine an updated version on the 360 or PS3 running in Unreal, yum! Yeah shame on me for not playing Psychonauts I need to check that out, I think it's on steam though I'd rather play it on a console. I'll keep an eye out for the titles you guys suggested.

Marcus

Artist - Kaos Studios
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'd love to see some 2d come back as well.. another 2d Megaman or Guilty Gear or Sonic or Castlevania.. in HD! on console.. now that would rule.

I mean, I don't mind just having them on handheld.. as long as they are still being made.. but I think a full console experience, especially in HD would just be awesome.. I miss it.

sonic especially needs a return to form.. ugh.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    did someone call?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd love to see some 2d come back as well.. another 2d Megaman or Guilty Gear or Sonic or Castlevania.. in HD! on console.. now that would rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/Games/s/sonicxboxlivearcade/default.htm

http://www.xbox.com/en-ca/games/c/castlevaniasotnxboxlivearcade/

That kind of thing? Not sure if it's full HD, but none-the-less...
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the links Tulkamir, I've been playing Castlevania SOTN since it came out on Xbox live and have beaten it twice already “with the inverted castle”. It seems that handhelds are the way to go for my fix but it would be awesome to see something truly epic on current consoles in HD. As for Sonic I have a love hate relationship with the blue blur, I had high hopes for the 360 version but slippery controls and a busted camera turned that experience in to a nightmare. Unfortunately most if not all of the original Sonic team has long departed from Sega and I don't think Sega gives a shit anymore, Sonics become the company whore they trot out to give the gaming public there annual head bob, sigh.

Marcus

Artist - Kaos Studios

PS: 2d anything would be awesome but a pipedream at best, especially from anything in the west!
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    This:
    [ QUOTE ]
    First I would like to state that I am an old school gamer, I grew up in the 8 bit and 16 bit golden era of gaming.

[/ QUOTE ]
    and this:
    [ QUOTE ]
    one of my favorite genres which is the 3d platformer

[/ QUOTE ]
    doesn't fit together.

Every true old school gamer (8 and 16 bit) loathes 3D platformers for they were the death of those immensely more enjoyable 2D platformers.
    Just compare Super Mario World with every 3D Mario that came after it... the latter don't even come close!

I for one am happy that they are dead, and hopefully for good!

P.S.: Yeah, a great HD 2D fighting game (Last Blade 3!!!!) would be a dream come true.

P.P.S.: Off to play on my GP2X, which got a great Amiga emulator lately (among lots of other great new programms).
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well yes JKMakowka 3d platformers were not only the death of 2d platformers but 3d was the death of 2d period and I'm not holding my breath for any new 2d platform games. It's one thing to hope and dream that Nintendo or any other company would venture into the realm of 2d again especially in a major way but at least with 3d there's a chance, games like Jak and Daxter, Kameo, Tak, Sly Cooper, etc. were only a few years ago so I'm hopeful that they'll still be made. As for the Mario Games, well there’s only been one true 3d Mario and that's Mario 64, I'd say Mario 64 was as good as any of the previous entries and pioneered navigating through 3d space better than any game at the time. Hopefully Mario Galaxy captures the same magic Mario 64 did!

Marcus

Artist - Kaos Studios

PS: Last Blade 3 in HD on consoles would be awesome, here's hoping that the Samurai showdown series makes its way to the Xbox 360 or PS3 as downloads!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again... Little Big Planet? I'm not super hyped for it, but as far as platformers go it's looking like the best that'll be coming out soon...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well, now that there's a studio working on Street Fighter II in full HD, i don't imagine it'll be long before someone thinks to rework the other classics, like Sonic, Mario, Contra etc.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    sonic and contra are available on the XLA, so is prince of persia classic, which is quite neat
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    those are still in their old resolutions though, and i have those on my PSP =]
  • Bad Sector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bad Sector polycounter lvl 17
    I made this 2D platformer a couple of years ago. It has 30 levels, five "themes", new monsters and/or gameplay elements every few levels, etc. Works in Windows and Linux (source provided, if anyone knows how to port it to MacOS X feel free).
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Am I the only person in the world who has been a gamer since the 8-bit era and who DOESN'T miss 2D whatsoever? I feel like I'm weird, because whenever this discussion comes up, everyone is always going on about how superior 2D fighting games were, or 2D platformers or 2D shooters, and I just don't get it.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]
    As for the Mario Games, well theres only been one true 3d Mario and that's Mario 64

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like Mario Sunshine was so shit everyone's forgotten about it. I know I did until just then
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Am I the only person in the world who has been a gamer since the 8-bit era and who DOESN'T miss 2D whatsoever? I feel like I'm weird, because whenever this discussion comes up, everyone is always going on about how superior 2D fighting games were, or 2D platformers or 2D shooters, and I just don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's nostalgia. Pure and simple. :S

I'm of the same opinion as you though. smile.gif

Oh, and Gir, PoP Classic on XBLA is not in its original resolution, it's completely new graphics, 3D actually.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    just in case u r not familiar with these -
    upper_logo.png
    mame.png

i love particularly the 2D quest games, i wish they made more of those
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Pitfall...for the original xbox, ps2 or cube was awesome fun and very funny. I'm really excited about adventure games making a comback on the wii.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I miss pinball machines and arcades :-(
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super Contra this week on XBLA!

yay for achievements!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    This is for the computer, but it's sort of NextGen for 2d wink.gif
    http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque/tgb/
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Didn't they just release a new Tomb Raider? Well, the original one all fancified? Why yes they did - Pretty sure that qualifies as a 3D platformer.

Also, any of the Prince of Persia series (with the exception of Prince of Persia 3D) are very replayable - I just finished working through Sands of Time, for the umpteenth time.

They're working on a new Mario too.

Sure, platformers are the minority these days, but they're healthier than the space shooter sim and the graphic adventure wink.gif
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny you should mention Tomb Raider HarlequiN, I was talking to a friend today on how it was the first mature "aesthetically" 3d platformer. I'm eagerly awaiting the Xbox 360 downloads to come out and I think there going to release them in three parts. Personally I wish they would have released the game at retail or as a complete download but I'll take it anyway way I can get it I guess.

Marcus

Artist - Kaos Studios
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a big fan of platformers and have been since I was a kid (not that being 24 is old or anything). What I miss most are the arcade 2D beat'em up platformers. Like Alien vs Predator, TNMT, Golden Axe, Double Dragon, I could go on for ages!
    I guess why they don't work so well now is because of how simple they are. Walk from one area, fight a bunch of dudes by mashing your keys, arrow appears, walk forward and repeat.
    The latest game I played that took this genre a little further was 'The Red Star' on PS2. Which is a typical arcade platformer mixed with Ikaruga. I enjoyed playing through it. Its definitely not the most brain intensive game, but will entertain you for a long enough time line.

-caseyjones
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    super mario galaxy ! it looks incredible...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Also Getting Up, that Graffiti game, was mostly a platformer.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    all the platformers are being hosted at fileplanet now, we can't host them at polycount any longer.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also Getting Up, that Graffiti game, was mostly a platformer.

[/ QUOTE ]And mostly rubbish.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

It's nostalgia. Pure and simple. :S

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure to a certain point it is, but especially 2D fighting games are actually a completly different type of game compared to 3D fighters.
    Comparing them would be like comparing a jetski racing game with a submarine simulator (yay, strange comparisms FTW).
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    You tried the Tak series?

I LOVED the humour, the art style was/is one of the best I've ever seen and the game was _just_ fun.