Home Technical Talk

Toy-like Rocket ship WIP

This is a rocket ship I did and I was wondering if there was a way to cut back some of the geometry on it. The problem is that it is skinned so i can't get rid of to much. I included a pic of the bone structure so you can see what i'm working with. If you have ideas on where i can cut back or even a more optimal way to skin it I'd like to hear it. Ship.png

Replies

• jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All the extra loops on the cylinders (where they aren't actually affecting the silhouette) aren't adding anything to the mesh whatsoever. I'd start off by deleting those.

The "fins" also appear to be adding a lot of unnecessary geometry, but that can largely depend on what you plan on using this particular model for. If it's for a real-time environment, I'd lose every second loop on each fin, or potentially even more. It would cut the polygon count of those fins in half.

I'd also suggest deleting the faces of the "thrusters" that are colliding with the inside of the ship. They won't be seen, because they are behind other geometry, and they're really adding quite a few extra polygons.

This object is really quite simple, if you break it down into pieces. You can afford to lose some of the silhouette, because a texture is what will really make it "pop." I'll do a quick paintover to show you what I mean.

shipcopybn4.png

I apologize for the sloppy job. I didn't have a whole lot of time to do it, as I'm going out soon. I hope this better illustrates my points. grin.gif
  • RobotRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok the faces on the boosters and every other loop on the wings i can see but i don't think i can get rid of all the loops on the hull if it's going to be skinned. it has to be able to deform nicely.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I misunderstood your question. Hehe. I see what you mean now. I had assumed, being a rocket ship, that it wouldn't really be deforming at all.

If you were to just get rid of the other unnecessary loops, I think you'd be fine. I don't really see much reason to get rid of more geometry, in a case like this. If you're trying for really low poly, you'd have to lose some of the silhouette to keep it deforming well. Or you could keep the silhouette, losing the deformation. This is why low-poly modeling can be hard. tongue.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    The caps of the cylinders can be reduced; instead of having all edges meed at a point int he middle, delete those edges and manually cut in the triangles, cutting across the cap.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The caps of the cylinders can be reduced; instead of having all edges meed at a point int he middle, delete those edges and manually cut in the triangles, cutting across the cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poly efficient, yeah. But having that center point there is actually really useful for UVs and texturing.