Home General Discussion

Rescue the Nuke Scientist

Uly
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Uly polycounter lvl 15
Golly! I can't wait!

Special Operation : Rescue the Nuke Scientist

A hard hitting politically charged Iranian FPS will change the face of gaming forever. I think it's safe to say our future careers lie in Iran if this game is any indication.

Game Politics Article

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Well... atleast they're creative with their naming... :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy fuck is that some horrible animation
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    the big crysiskiller?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    That kicks ass. I am so importing that.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    is it me or are those guns ganked from Counterstrike? very unusual otherwise to have the models held left-handed; it was only an option from the start in CS because gooseman or whatever his name was is left-handed, too.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gauss is right those are CS weapons. It even looks like the map was made using Hammer and textures that shipped with HL1/CS.

Same trailer but with a small interview.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gp5t_bFOV4
    "We want to compete with foreign games which are imported into Iran and also use the game to present concepts such as bravery and devotion to the younger generation"
    I guess honesty isn't one of the values the game is trying to push?

EDIT: Now that I watch it again, the lighting looks UT-ish.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, these guys dont beat around the bush, they get right to the point. There's a big israeli flag in one of the maps .. smile.gif
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Found another one on Youtube. Some Hezbolla game called "Special Operations" or something. What it should be called is...

DESTROY JEW TANK
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Found another one on Youtube. Some Hezbolla game called "Special Operations" or something. What it should be called is...

DESTROY JEW TANK

The foreign market is booming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude! That game is totally next gen! Did you see the lens flair on that title... Amazing!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    It's uplifting to see the members of this community slam the efforts of students from a country set back 50 years by the following:

1. US funded, CIA operated removal of the popular democratically elected Iranian Prime Minister for the sake of installing a repressive dictator favorable to US interest in regaining control of oil reserved in 1951, for which the US apologized in 2000.

2. Iranian assets frozen in response 42 hostages (at least 3 of which were CIA operatives) taken in 1979 by Iranians at the US embassy, which were promised to be released upon return of the hostages, but still remain frozen today.

3. Chemical attacks from Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein supported by the CIA, in an effort to isolate Iran, which caused the lives of more than 100,000.

4. Continued sanctions on technology that have prevented the country from progressing industrially and effectively providing energy to a population that has doubled in the last 20 years.

5. Regarded as a sponsor of terrorism, while next in line to be invaded by the US if it wasn't for the failure of policy in Iraq, and Iran's willingness to cooperate with the UN.

I would expect a game like this to focus on action packed gameplay, and advanced graphics, instead of simply being a response to professional quality non-propagandistic games such as "Assault on Iran" , developed by New York based company, Kumas, which is a true example of the ultimate art form.

I bet those Iranians pirated the software used to create the game. Evil. Everyone knows games like this train children to be killers.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    So somehow this crappy game is the fault of the CIA?...THOSE BASTARDS!!!!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    CIA couldn't find next-gen if it hit them in the face.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elysium, I have nothing against Iran or Iranians, but if I see a game made there I'll say exactly the same about it as I would about the same game if it were made here.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    is it me or are those guns ganked from Counterstrike? very unusual otherwise to have the models held left-handed; it was only an option from the start in CS because gooseman or whatever his name was is left-handed, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I watched the vid and the first thing I thought was... That looks just like AK-47 model from CS1.6, then a few other weapons all identical to the ones used in CS1.6. They even have the same animation sets.
    They've just adjusted the angle the guns are shown to try and hide this. Poor form!

-caseyjones
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yup those guns are from cs
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX: In your perfect world, we should we give them special treatment for having a shitty game with stolen graphics?. Yeah, that makes *loads* of sense.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    What was the Al-Qaeda sponsored game? Night of Bush Destroying or something?

I downloaded it and watched a video of it on youtube while it was downloading, then never got around to installing it.

This is way cooler than it was.
  • Mark Dygert
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I used to enjoy a night of bush capturing in my younger days.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    In my perfect world, political discussion is fair and considerate to both sides of conflict when each is open to debate. I don't expect any political conversation to go over well in this community. I'm simply providing an interesting perspective on an issue larger than "look, they stole our gun models...theives!". The short Game Politics article, and the replies in this thread are cheapshots. Focus is placed only on the origin of the title, and its contents. The games released by New York based company Kuma, to which the Iranian game is a direct response, look horrible...but there is no thread about that. So, the Iranian game is, in fact, already getting special treatment. It was designed to influence the young people of Iran with a strong message, and that's worthy of discussion.

Iran is a nation with no game industry infrastructure. If they had access to PS3's, they would be accused of using the CPUs to guide nuclear weaponry. The game being criticized is not the work of professional designers. It's the product of a student group with intent to provide a response to American cultural items. It's designed as a message. In a way, it is a new and effective form of peaceful protest. This protest has reached the international media. And successful protest can change the world.

[ QUOTE ]
    This is the first step to counter what the American companies are distributing...This is our defense against the enemy’s cultural onslaught

[/ QUOTE ]

In this community, we have agreed that games are not used to train killers. Games that depict realistic combat situations are top sellers in the industry. Most games portray American forces fighting a range of cultures and nations including Germans, Russians, Chinese and Terrorists (generic Middle Eastern guy). In the US, we have a game funded by the military, and openly used as a recruitment tool. Missions included tasks such as disrupting terrorist cells developing chemical weapons, capturing nuclear scientists to obtain secret files, and securing oil refineries crucial to the economy. Yet, when a small Iranian group releases a rescue simulation that allows the targeting of good ol' American forces, it's considered a "propaganda game". Are we to say that games don't encourage violence, unless it's developed in a third world country? Are war games designed from an American perspective aimed at dehumanizing our opponents? Will games become the most effective form of propaganda for future generations? Does Iran recognize US copyright laws?

The articles released by the mainstream media detailing the Iranian game could be used to enforce the movements in the US to restrict game content. Political parties describe violent games as a potential danger to society, and this could be spun in their favor. If games are said to be a recruitment tool for terrorism, how will that affect our industry and its defense?

Realize that the Iranian game does not depict bloodshed. It's does not allow civilain casualties, or the use of locations viewed as holy lands. This game shows a high level of detail from a culture that is heavily repressed. For a nation held back by decades, a game that appears 5 years outdated by our standards is impressive. There are worse examples of games from college students in the US. But quality aside, this is merely a defensive response to a threat against Iranian culture, written in a language we can understand. And I'm simply provoking the discuss this game was designed to instigate. Sorry for all the words.

Er...I mean, those Irani's are evildoerrs. Let's bomb them. Yeehaw! poly144.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Nobody is arguing (or even interested in discussing) with you, Elysium. We're simply poking fun at a horrifically low quality game getting attention. If Kuma got this kind of press we'd laugh at them too.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Guys lets shoot all the darkies because they make inferior games.

Or we can simply revel in the novelty of a politically charged (albeit low budget and with stolen art assets) game from a country so idealogically different from the game-producing world.

I think the game is laughably bad by our standards. However I do admire the political nature of it. My dream game would be a game that would subvert American culture in a way that would cause people to stand up and insist on certain political changes in a way that wasn't cramming shit down their throat or non-sensically tied in (like Dean's flash game.) I think the closest we're going to come to that in the next 5-10 years is going to be Haze, but I don't think it's going to be anywhere near what I'd like to see.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Admire the political nature of it?

Hey, let's take an FPS, and make the bad guys look like people from another country! Oh and we'll take out blood because then people aren't getting hurt despite the point of the game being to shoot the shit out of them!

How clever.

There's nothing commendable here other than the fact that some students made a student quality game.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dear poor delusional ElysiumGX,

We Americans are smarter and can recognize the difference between fake violence and real violence. However the common Iranian has an IQ lower than a loquat and is subject to all the flashing lights, moving pictures and secret hidden messages the magic box contains.

Of course WE (the west) are not subject to our own propaganda because we are enlightened enough to see through it. Too bad the same can't be said for the Iranians. We sir, can have our cake and eat it too. Because we are Americans! LONG LIVE HYPOCRISY!
    [/sarcasm]

But seriously lets not feel too bad for the repressed Iranians lest we feel like we need to liberate them from themselves, we know how that goes. Or is it because they have WMD's or are in desperate need to revive the democracy they overthrew? I hope someone makes up their mind before, not after, we go to war.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    There's nothing commendable here other than the fact that some students made a student quality game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey now, that was NOT student quality. That is an insult to all student made games. frown.gif

Other than that, I agree with you. That did not look political at all. There was nothing clever about. If they wanted to show they were politically clever they'd have done it in a manner that didn't involve running around and shooting their "enemies".