Home Technical Talk

Creating DS Textures

Penzer
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Penzer polycounter lvl 17
The DS has supports 18-Bit (260 000) colors. In photoshop, how do you tell your color palette to only display colors that are 18-bit? I don't know if its something totally noob of me to not know, but I can't find it in the photoshop help files either. Thanks for any help

Replies

• Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    Your textures actually use 15-bit color. That's five bits per channel. Just set your desktop to 16bits for a fair preview. You should be fine working at 24bits in photoshop and downsampling later.

cheers,

-Ryan

edit:

On second thought, your desktop at 16 bits might NOT be good preview, because of dithering. Instead, save your image as a 16-bit BMP, and reload it. That will definitely work!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Penzer I PMed you this already but decided to post it to see if others can elaborate and correct anything I said if I'm wrong. The last thing you need something that's incorrect. Hope that helps. Later.

Here is the answer....

Hi, it supports 16 bit textures and depending on the format that is just for the ds you can use 24 bit color. That said you need to show you can do the 16 bit colors. What you do is pick 16 colors. Three colors are already going to be used one is white, black and another usually pink for transparent areas. I'm not clear if black and white have to be in there but I assumed they didn't I just take out 3 colors for planning purposes and if I happen to need them I use them. You paint with a tool that doesn't blend colors and is 100% hard. The pencil tool is your best bet for this.

To save your pallete once it done you go in photoshop

under Image/mode/index color

go to the drop down menu and set that to custom and your pallete table shows up. the first three colors I think are forced. I suggest you ask on the boards. then you have free reign on how many colors you add and thats it. I think if you go and save as bmp it will let you save as 4 bit texture.

Ideally you want to paint at res, the idea of downsizing at ds res doesn't cut it, it looks like crap and the time cleaning up is not worth it. Experiment so you can get a good workflow going. Then have a uv wire representation in vectors. If you have Max use the uvw unwrap to paths pluging if not then render your wires at high res with black and white, copy and paste that in quick mask mode into a new layer by pressing Q. This may or may not work cause I have not tried it. But either once you leave quick mask mode you should be able to turn your selection into paths, (vectors) or used the stroke option in layer fxs. When you resize your texture to say 32 x 32 it should scale down fine. then you can use that guide to paint at the res.

I'm curious to see what you are working on, so either post it in the pimp section show me. I love to talk about 3D stuff. Hope that helps, take care.

To answer your question I didn't set it to 16 bit color I just use 16 colors knowing it would look good while I painted.

Alex
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can use a 16-color palette. You can also use a 256-color palette or full RGB if you have enough space.

In any case, the colors in your palette or image will get truncated to 5 bits per channel.

For more about texture formats, see http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#ds3dtextureformats
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    16 bit and 16 colour aren't the same thing. Don't get those confused. If I remember rightly, 16 bit is 32,000 colours.

Personally, I'd very seldom if ever use the technique that Sage suggests picking the pallette before you begin. Paint the texture in full 24 bit, keeping in mind that you don't want to use too many different colours on it and then reduce it to indexed 15 colour (black is forced, which is annoying.) If you've got a transparent colour, select custom and pop it in the first slot. This will result in far better quality textures. You'll br surprised how much detail you can keep in a 16 colour texture.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    16 bit and 16 colour aren't the same thing. Don't get those confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are different things, but not mutually exclusive things.

In this case, you can have a full 16bit RGB texture, with 32768 colors (Format 7).

Or you can have an indexed texture with 4, 16, or 256 colors out of a possible 32768 (Formats 2, 3, and 4).

In both cases (indexed and RGB) photoshop shows 8bits per channel while the DS sees 5bits per channel.

The 16-color format is enough for some images... but in many cases I think the 256-color format represents the best compromise between space and quality.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so if I take a random image as an example, and convert it to indexed 256 colors. Now it has 256 colors, but if I want to keep painting, and i open my color picker it still displays a full range of colors. Is there a way to set it so that the color picker will only display the 256 colors in the color index? I suppose once it's set to indexed color, I could just use the eyedropper and only pick colors that are already in the image, but it would be nice if theres a way to set the color picker to only show what's in the color index.

colorpickerexample.jpg

I'll use Optimus as an example in honor of the movie. Suppose this were the concept art for the character, it would be nice to be able to use the window labeled "color table" for my color picker. You cannot do anything while the "color table" window is open, including using the eyedropper. I'm starting to feel that I'm making this more complicated than it should be....
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    You could just take a screenshot of your color table, and then paste it in a new layer or image.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ......yes....yes I could... that would do the trick. Thanks
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Just leave it in 24 bit until you're ready to export it to the game. You'll wind up with a better image and save yourself a lot of mucking about.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    also if you can, get access to optpix- its much better than photoshop at creating palleted textures.. its pricey but does the job
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    There is a ps filter that will preview your textures at ds colour depth (and affect pixels, allowing you to paint at depth, so to speak, if you pick the right colours). Writing this on blackberry so don't have a link, but if some kind person can find it on the modern internet and post a link that should do you