Home Technical Talk

Max 8, Some physique questions

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Turoid polycounter lvl 17
Heya guys,

I'm currently rigging a character model using biped and physique. I have some questions about physique in combination with other modifiers.

1. Is it possible to ajust the UV's (Unwrap UVW etc)of a model after it is rigged with physique?

2. Is it possible to add bones to the skeleton if the biped is already initialized? (and keep the weighting I already had)

Thanks already tongue.gif

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I urge you to use the Skin modifier as an alternative. If physique is required, I have a script that can convert Skin to Physique and vice versa.

http://monsterblues.wordpress.com/2006/04/27/skin-2-physique-and-back/

But to answer your questions:

1. Yes. I recommend keeping the unwrap modifier under the physique or skin modifier. You can do this simply by drag and drop after you add the unwrap.

2. Yes, there is a re-intialize button, doesn't always work properly though. One thing you can do, if it resets the weights, is save the physique weighting out with my script before you re-initialize and load it back on to physique after you re-initialize.
  • Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Juan, I'm going to experiment a little with the skin 2 physique. Your mirror weights plugin is awesome btw wink.gif

I don't have that much experience with skin.. Should learn it indeed.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Physique is soooo last-gen. (Seriously, it's not being developed any more. They should really just remove it from the modifier list)
  • Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It does work for me blush.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't get me wrong, physique stills works, and in some ways is better than skin, but it's not being actively developed by Autodesk and most newer game engines don't support it. So it's in your own best interest to at least know how to use skin.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Ha! I feel like a moron, I've been putting Physique on top of Skin so that the bones will attach to the mesh. I didn't know they should be used independently confused.gif Well, I'm just new to max.

So I'm wondering, how do I attach the skin to the mesh? I added the bones under Skin -> Parameters, but it didn't do anything. Linking the mesh to the root bone just slammed a rigid skin on to the root bone only--the child bones didn't move the mesh at all. What am I doing wrong (or just not doing)?
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To answer my own question, just delete the Skin modifier and attach it back, perhaps several times, until it works--it eventually will.

I hate max so much right now. I don't think I'll ever stop hating it though, the thing is so painfully clumsy and downright retarded. The interface makes no sense and I'm required to jump through so many unnecessary loops I feel like punching a baby in the face. And so many modes! mad.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I remember that frustration. Then you get over it and know how things work. This too shall pass.

F1 is your friend for the next few weeks.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The skinning in max is 100 times better than anything else I've used. Rigging in Maya is great, but for pure vertex weighting to bones (as most games use right now), Max is my fav. Painting weights and binding is a bitch in whatever program one uses, just keep practicing.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    To answer my own question, just delete the Skin modifier and attach it back, perhaps several times, until it works--it eventually will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I've never once had to delete the Skin modifier and re-apply in the hopes that it would work this time. Just apply it, add the bones, then adjust the weights and/or envelopes. I don't remember, did you say what version of Max your using?
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah I remember that frustration. Then you get over it and know how things work. This too shall pass.

F1 is your friend for the next few weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Neither Max nor Maya are as good at selecting geometry as modo is, and selecting is 1/2 of what modelers do. Beyond that, it's a million little things that turn into a tital wave of shit that hits me every time I open either of those apps (after I wait 5 minutes for them to fucking LOAD). But yeah, I'll probably get over it after a while.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I've never once had to delete the Skin modifier and re-apply in the hopes that it would work this time. Just apply it, add the bones, then adjust the weights and/or envelopes. I don't remember, did you say what version of Max your using?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think it had to do with the fact that I had stacked Physique over Skin or some such nonsense. I'm using max8.