Home General Discussion

Balls out METAL. the wa it damned well should be!!

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
Last night i took my younger brother, his mother, my best friend steve, and a friend of ours, Alexia to see Metallica at Wembley Stadium.

the line up:
Mastodon
Bullet For My Valentine
HIM
Metallica

the event:
well, first about a week ago i found out Bullet had pulled out... bit bummed at that, but thought "oh well they will probably let the other bands play longer... but EW at HIM".

and then we arrive, and Machine ****ING head have taken over the bullet slot. JOY!!!

Mastodon opened up real good, and while the EQ in the stadium (we were up at the top) wasn't that great, they set the mood and played their nuts off, no mosh pits at that time... but it was only 4pm lol.

then Machine Head took the stage, and with some tweaking of the EQ, the sound was crisp, clear, and LOUD. they were ****ing insane, real hard playing, mosh pits starting everywhere, and people piling into the stadium. the band left to a large applause.

HIM.... were booed off, 13 minutes into their set (BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAA) after watching people throw cups of beer at them (waste of good beer?) a large portion of the crowd on the ground, and in the seated area (where i was) doing the YMCA, and then i whitnessed the largest conga line EVER, there must have been about 200 people involved, it was of epic proportions.
i also got to giggle when two emo girls (one was "male") started crying and being all upset when the band took off.

and then it happened, after making us wait an extra 10 minutes... extacy of gold started playing with the intro video for metallica... they came out... the intro for Creeping Death sounds out through the stadium, the crowd goes wild, and then just as all 70,000 people sing in unision with James "FLAME! hebrews born to serve!" they crank up the volume, the speakers sound like they might explode, the crowd goes nuts, and i started headbanging for what lasted about 2 1/2 hours. my god, it was the best show i've EVER seen, even better than download festival last year....

if anyone gets the chance to see them, take it. no one should go through life without seeing metallica at least once (Steve is a house/trance/electro DJ. and he came out sayng "**** me that was amazing").

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I have to agree. Metallica is really awesome in concert.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    70,000 people sing the wrong lyrics? wink.gif
    Just kidding, sounds like you had a lot of fun!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I have no use for HIM (wtf? why are they on stage with good acts?) or even Metallica.

Mastodon, though, are fscking amazing.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I have no use for HIM (wtf? why are they on stage with good acts?) or even Metallica.

Mastodon, though, are fscking amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Metallica bores me. So do all the other bands mentioned, with the exception of mastodawn.

Glad you had a good time though, sounds like it was a blast. (Gotta feel a bit bad for the HIM guys though. I mean, I don't enjoy their music, but it's gotta be tough getting boo'd off a stage like that).
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh i didnt know Machine Head were touring again! Their latest two albums have seriously redemed the past 3, and made me forget they even happened.

/jealous
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well they said before they left that they had just done the last show of their european tour, and then metallica asked them to play so they did. which i am supremely grateful for. their last couple of albums have been absolutely fantastic.

i feel i may not have given enough props to mastodon, who were great, it's just that being the first band on, and not having the eq right threw me off a bit. i'd much rather HIM played first so they could get booed off and i could have listened to 20 more minutes of each of the next bands.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Not a fan of Metallica's latest stuff, I would go for Mastadon and Machinehead. And HIM shouldn't be anywhere near that lineup, glad they were booed offstage.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    James Hetfield was stopped at luton airport by security, apparently the rest of the band joked it was due to his "taliban like beard" haha. quite amusinc laugh.gif

they played the night before too, for the live earth show. apparently twice as many people showed up to the actual metallica concert though... shows how much people give a crap about energy haha.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    For me, there are no good metal concerts for a while. The last was when Bury Your Dead and some others came, and the next good one will be Ozzfest in August. In between then and now is the Family Values tour, which I don't really like any of the bands going except for Trivium, and since they aren't as mainstream and crappy as Korn and Flyleaf and all that shit then they will probably only get like 15 minutes. Also, Warped Tour is coming, but I can't stand 99% of punk and for some reason Killswitch Engage decided to join Warped Tour (my fav band).
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I've been a huge Metallica fan in the past, but the last album aged too quickly. I hear the band's newest effort will be a return to form. So many bands (Megadeth, Slayer, Rush) are making comebacks. It's a great time to listen to rock again. Now if only Nickelback would split and remove itself from my radio.

With Machine Head taking Bullets place, and HIM getting boo'ed, that must have been a great concert. Those two sissy bands don't belong on that stage.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Even though HIM sucks, people there still get asshole points for ruining someone else's paid for part of the concert, glad you enjoyed yours though smile.gif

ps. grow up.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man I've been a fan of metallica since 91 and this friday I'm finally gonna see them in
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    im gonna see them here in sweden tomorrow. hoping for a good show!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    let us know how you guys got on, i should have pics + vids up soon. i have a SWEET video of us all singing to "The Memory Remains"... but then again it looks like everyone and their dog does too (looking on youtube).

i can't get over how much better they are live than everyone else i've ever been to see. i'm not talking about technical skill... we all know there are better bands out there (but to be fair... the speeds they play some of the tracks is pretty gnarly). i mean the atmosphere they generate, the energy, and the overall show... just wow.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    SOUNDS like a fantastic concert. bEAST_GTR.gif
  • Option
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Option polycounter lvl 18
    Last night I saw Symphony X, fucking amazing show, tiny venue, fog machines, light show was intense and the encore was 30 minute epic version of The Odyssey. Also met 3 people, one of which was this really hot girl Liz, got her number too, she was one of 3 girls that didn't look like a retarded emo whore. Awesome awesome awesome.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    that's the way forward dude. last year i went to see trivium at the london astoria. not a particularly huge venue, in fact, it was small enough for me to squash a bunch of 16 year old shits who said "dimebag darrel is over rated".

anyway, i met some really cool people there, kept in touch, slept with one of them, and went to download festival with one of the guys later that year, who was a legend, and convinced me that at festivals, Pear Cider is gods gift to the thirsty laugh.gif