Home General Discussion

Call of Duty 4 E3 Trailer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
just found this on gametrailers.com and holy crap this looks like its gonna be one hell of a ride

visually it looks absolutely stunning and even though i was doubtful about the middle east setting it makes a lot more sense to me now.
also they seem to push the cinematic quality even further. i am definitely going to get this game. multiplayer is most likely going to rock as well, considering how awesome cod2mp was =)

enjoy

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21256.html

Replies

• Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    As much as I want to hate this game because I'm getting sick of the genre, I must that, it defiantly looks fun.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah that's looking pretty damn intense. That humungous nuke type explosion looked incredible. I'm still dubious of the phrase 'actual gameplay' though. I think the expression they're really searching for for some of that is more like 'in engine', and damn, I still hate that totally stupid velvet character shader! smile.gif
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    haha, those were pretty much the exact same thoughts that went through my head Daz. Looks beautiful, but there are some parts which I can't imagine are actual gameplay. And what is up with that stupid velvet shader anyways? I keep seeing it, and it keeps looking dumbassed.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    some of that action brings to mind the cinematic direction of games like MGS... looks real impressive, despite the velvet shader smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    uff, want. Want now!

poop.gif
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    i so glad i bought a 360 laugh.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Looking pretty nifty and intense, looking forward to it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah i can't wait to get this. i would be in line right now if it came out today.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, looks very nice!
    Again though, while I don't doubt it's "actual gameplay", I doubt that any of those cool cinematic camera angles are "gameplay", unless watching cutscenes counts as playing a game these days smile.gif
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    looks cool, although I'm not a fan of the heavy handed rim lighting on the characters...although that could be said for 90% of the FPSs coming out in the next couple years.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Have you guys played the Call of Duty games? Every last frame of that speaks CoD-Gameplay to me. CoD2 and 3 are very, very cinematic experiences that make you feel like you're right in the middle of a good action movie. They (Infinity Ward) enjoy taking control of your camera as you play to show you things through a first-person perspective that you'd normally NOT see if you left it to the player to watch.

'In-engine' is probably more accurate, but to the average player it's all the same. Right?

I heard this time around IW has hired some Hollywood writers to do the story for CoD4. The reason being WW2 is easy to write a story for, but being something from a present-time war (or a not-so-distance future) they wanted to bring in professional writers to keep up with the story quality of the previous games.

Looks badass, those particles swelled me up a little.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, and I'm confident that the scripted style gameplay that the series is *very* famous for doesn't need to be explained to anyone in this thread.

I still happen to think that the term 'actual gameplay' is misleading when you're not controlling the camera or any events occurring, that's all.

The game is looking killer, and I can't wait to play it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Had to make sure we were speaking about the same thing. Game-play/in-engine, or "Holy shit theres a lot going on"?.

2 sides to the coin on this one, you know.

And luckily you're on me like a fat kid on cake tonight. And here I was bored not 10 minutes ago...
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    awww, i quite like the velvety shader and the heavy rim lighting. I know it's probably not a conscious decision, but it lends it a slightly painterly feel - they can't quite pull off hyper-realism, so this sort of thing fills the gap with a certain style. Personally, i still like to see games that styistically remind you it's a game. Kinda like the Interstate 76 cutscenes writ large
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think i finally know what rim lighting is!

but yeah, the graphics are looking great, but the gameplay. no offense to cod fans, but cod 4 looks like another run and shoot game. but then again, only id and epic have ever excited me about FPS games.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i think i finally know what rim lighting is!

but yeah, the graphics are looking great, but the gameplay. no offense to cod fans, but cod 4 looks like another run and shoot game. but then again, only id and epic have ever excited me about FPS games.

[/ QUOTE ]

since both epic and Id are known to make fps that are not run and shoot eh?

i think it looks pretty awesoem. Wish we could see something that was a bit more hands on though.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah.. hopefully CoD4 is not on rails as much as CoD3 was.

At least if it is, its safe to the multiplayer will be fun.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @motives: lol... okay i shoulda spent more time on that reply. the most exciting run-and-shoot games i've played are from id and epic. possibly because of the originality? im almost sick of seeing the same /close to same setting etc. etc. with all the WW fps games. CoD, Medal, Battlefield [the first one or two i think?] etc. etc. no _real_ story lines except "hey its WW2, you know the story, now just go shoot some "insert enemy name here"". but then again, my reply was incorrectly phrased... sorry.

this one does seem to be different from the traditional war though, i might rent it when it comes.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, that looks awesome. I hope it has a lot of non-linear level design, I loved clearing the towns in CoD2.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    Is there some sites that gives some concept art (screenshots) for call of duty ? i'd love to play with this style.