Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
  • Rick Stirling
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Open beta too, is that new? I haven't checked up on Silo in a while. Dissapointing to see that the uvunwrapping produces upside-down UV's though. Checked the forums and it's apparently not even a new bug...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Upside down? I've never noticed that, they've alway been correct for me.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    I'm liking the new site design. There are new Silo 2 videos on the site (at least I think they're new, because I haven't seen them before). There's also now a help file in the new Silo 2 beta, which I imagine will be added onto before release.

As for the logo, I think it looks cool on the site. As a logo for the program though, I think it sucks. It doesn't read when it's a small icon, and it has nothing to do with Silo. I just think there were so many fantastic and professional looking logo icons that were created and it's a shame that none of those were chosen.

Personally though, it really doesn't affect me if the logo isn't very professional looking because I'm still going to use the program. I just don't think it'll be a good image to use to help promote and sell Silo.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    It's not obvious at first; when I say upsidedown I mean rotated 180 degrees so the normals are facing down on the W axis, the result being that they're backwards. This is easily confirmable by turning on backface culling or with just a simple selection: like so (Edit: Or more inteligently, with a non-symmetrical model

Mentioned here and here on the Silo forums, where they recommend scaling by -1 instead of rotating by 180.

This happens ten times out of ten for me and as mentioned in the threads I linked, it's re-flipped any time you (re)calculate the UV's with either "Unwrap UV's" or touching anything at all with Live Unwrapping checked-- so you basically have to layout everything backwards and then flip it when you're done. If behavior is different on other systems, there might be a workaround, but I haven't found anything that effects it.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to try the uv-ing to see if it doesn't just fuck up at every other step again.
    That's pretty much the only niggle i still had, that the uving really didn't work for me (three versions back, i might add)

edit: I sounded snarky there, didn't mean to. Silo's been developing into a great program, and i love it.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I think the real improvements to UV mapping will come during the 2.x cycle. The big hurdle was getting something in. I still don't use Silo for UV work yet as I'm quite happy with UVLayout for the most part. With the sculpt tools and the UV tools all going into this release they bit off a lot for just 2 people. It'll be cool to see what they do to smooth out what's there now in the coming releases.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I use Silo for my UV work and made a macro that flips the texture island 180 on the z axis through the numerical editor. The macro fixes it every time for me. Pretty minor bug compared to the others they have been working on.

When slide goes wonky and I'm caging in sections for hard surface sub d work thats when I start cussing.

Logo is lame I have to agree. There were 4 on the forums we were voting for wish they would have picked one of those.

Love the program though for sure! They will get the kinks worked out no doubt.