Home General Discussion

An Evening With Epic Games

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
http://www.autodesknews.com/epic/

Monday, July 23rd, Leicester Square, London. Doors open 4:30pm.

I guess it's some kind of Autodesk promotional thing, seems to be free entry, Chris Wells from Epic will be showing off Gears of War artwork, tips and techniques.

I think I'm in, anyone else heard about this or going?

Edit for clarity: I say free entry, but you need to sign up on that web page to get a valid email "ticket" to print off. I don't think they'll let just anyone walk in off the street.

Replies

• RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Tempted, london gives me a headache tho, so I probably won't.
  • KRakarth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KRakarth polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah, Thanks for the tip off MoP. I am so going to this, Its just become feasable as im moving down to Wales from Glasgow next week.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers for the Heads up.

Ill be hoping to get down there.

John.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Shweet, I'll try to make it. I only live about an hour and half from London, so I could probably get the train in and get lost/mugged/sodomised on my way there.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Hey, sounds great. I will be moving back to london very shortly , so this could be a lot of fun.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Chris is a cool guy, very talented too so he ought to be able to make it a worthwhile trip for anyone that's on the fence.
    r.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, sounds good Rorshach.
    Everyone who makes it a definite should let me know, we can meet up for some drinks afterwards or something. Expensive drinks.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I worked with Chris at Redstorm, good guy and talented, just wish it was closer ( like in the US:) ) so I could go with you to check it out MoP, along with grabbing some expensive drinks:).

Spark
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    I really wanted to go whan I saw this but looking on the map, it scares the shit out of me having to get to the venue and going in the car would be out of the question given the whole 1 way system in that area. frown.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asked today and I've got the go ahead to make it smile.gif, a co-worker might be coming too.

Now to see about actually getting there...

So I take it it's destruct...er...party at MoP's place afterwards and BYOB? tongue.gif

If anyone has any suggestions for travel please feel free to drop them. I'm planning on getting the train from Birmingham New Street, not sure what station to arrive at in London, and I'm guessing get the tube from there to Leicester square.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I havent had my registration confirmation email yet,and I registered 2 days ago frown.gif

Anyway if I can get registered im gonna come up on the Oxford tube to Victoria station,then taxi/walk it. Might just take the entire day of and spend aday in London.

John
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just registered, so if i get a confirmation, count me in!
    If anyone's coming to London for this, i'd love to go for drinks with you lot.
    And if we're in a group, Fordy wont get raped laugh.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What makes you say that?
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Couldnt possibly be further from me, unless it was on another planet. Like it was gonna be anywhere near me anyway confused.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Err, the way i read Fordy's post, i took it to mean "The area between where i live and the venue scares me".
    Also: you're right, it depends on who else comes along. If it's Frankie, he's none the safer (i kid, i kid!)
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, I can happily live with being raped ooo.gif it's the route in inner London through the 1 way system that scares me. I'd be shitting bricks as I always get stuck in them.

Then the car would probably get nicked even though it's not work the effort. confused.gif
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe if there are a few of us that will all be arriving at the same station we can meet there and all get at taxi together, maybe if we split the costs like that we won't need to sell organs.

Also helps sort the problem of getting lost between there and the venue.

PS. If Fordy sits on someone's lap the raping can be performed on the way there, efficient or what eh?
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    PS. If Fordy sits on someone's lap the raping can be performed on the way there, efficient or what eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, be even more efficient if we can take speedbumps at 60 mph, that way no one would have to do an jiggling either grin.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    umm, you could just get the train fordy, then the tube. can't see the point in driving there.
    anyone tubing it should get an oyster card. damn sight cheaper. Its 4.50 for a single tube journey these days
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So we got a list of who all is going and where to meet? Might also help to have contact details (mobile phone numbers or something).
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't go,I registered for the wrong darn show I belive. never got my confomation email and now its fully booked . Sorry guys would have loved to have added to my list of counters ive met. hopefully soemthing else will come up soon.

John

*yes I am with stupid*
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got an email that you gotta print out the email (that was just sent) as proof of registration and it's first come first served basis.

I'm actually wondering whether it's worth going as it seems it's only 45 minutes from epic (ie. hoping it's not mainly stuff from D'Artiste Character Modeling 2), then the rest is autodesk stuff.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I'll be going (early night off work laugh.gif) plus the venue is only 20 minutes from me. Probably get there around 4:15 just to make sure I get in and good position etc.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well i can make the drinkies, if you give me a shout. need some notice as i have to book a train for monday
    ah well back to family guy
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure whether I'm going to book a ticket or not, the past several times I've taken trains no one has ever asked me for a ticket. Also not sure what time I'll be heading home (if we're meeting up for drinks after), so wouldn't know when to book that ticket for.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well lupus, i used to live in brum and they always aked me for a ticket/ anyway man its ony 17 quid return. you could always get the last train home.
    anyway if anyone is definitely going give me a pm and i will give you my number.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    £17 return eh, things have changed smile.gif£37 is minimum return now, though I could buy single tickets there and back for £23.

I'm looking at national rail now, looking at return times trying to see what one to get for the return. The talks end at half six, so what, a coupe of hours for drinks you reckon? Then tube back to Euston and trian to brumland. Spose I could just not bother booking the return ticket and buy one at the station whenever I get there.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well i thought there was a cheap deal from birmingham snow hill, 17 quid if you travel before 11 am and 26 if you travel after.
    there again its almost a year since I left birmingham so it has probably changed a bit.

I will be in london anyway on monday, so if anyone fancies a few beers and a meal, give me a shout. if not i will just hang out with the missus.
    hopefully the floods don't get any worse by then
    There is a good pit and pendulum pub just off oxford st BTW
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thar we go, booked my ticket to arrive in Euston at 15:36, so I should hopefully arrive before Thursday.

Checked online and it says the tube ride should only take a few minutes to get to Leicester Square station, so if things go to plan I should be there before 4. I'll PM my mobile brick number.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm going to take a walk on the wild side and post my number online, so let me know what the plans are:
    I'm all set to go. Got my registration thingy, i'm in London, and i'm up for drinks afterwards (and meeting up beforehand to go?)
    I'll be there around 4, but if anyone's going for drinks or food beforehand, i'm up for that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, we've got work beforehand, so I doubt we'll be there much before 4 smile.gif
    Got your number though, will give you a shout when we're headed in.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, have fun and wish I was able to make it there with you!

Spark
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Bugger, won't be able to go - of all the bad luck, two of our main artists are off sick today so I'm not able to leave early, as it wouldn't leave enough people on the art team to fix any bugs arising from fairly important stuff we're working on at the moment. Sorry folks, wish I could get out of this but management say no. frown.gif
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys

How was it?

Hope some of you went?

John
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Lupus was definitely there. Dunno about anyone else though, I couldn't get Pea's number to work, what a knubbens.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odd, that. I probably just posted the wrong number. How knubbensy of me.
    It was... alright, i suppose. The bit with Epic was good, but for the imagery, moreso than any indispensible information. The maya-presentation was interesting because i didn't know their cloth-system was so awesome, the presentation on max was horrible. Free beer, though!
    And the market's divided between roughly 50% maya, 50% max, and 10% xsi. err...?

edit: too bad i didn't know what Lupus looked like, and didn't have his number. Maybe i saw him, but just didn't know it was him.
    Pasty skin, unkempt hair, rather unelegant? I just described about 70% of the people there.
    I was sad to hear there was a much more interesting autodesk event a while back, with ILM speaking.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, if I lived locally it would have been ok, nice to pop in and have a look (particularly at them awesome UT3 models), but since I don't live close, it wasn't worth it. I left home at 12:30pm, got home at 11:45pm, I was either walking to or from a bus or train, on the bus or train, or at the event. Cost me feckin' £36 pound single from Euston to New Street on the way back, and the bloody train stopped at basically every stop (ie. literally about 16 stops before mine), cost me £50 for a return ticket from Birmingham to Edinburgh the new year's eve before last.

So spending about 8 hours travelling and about £60 on transportation wasn't worth it. The maya stuff wasn't of much interested as I already use some of what he showed at work, the max stuff was of no interest to me, the Epic stuff was, but there was little new information over what is in the D'Artiste Character Modelling 2 tutorial. Did I mention the UT3 models were awesome? They were awesome.

@Pea: I was sitting at the back, just up on the step up bit, second from the right (when facing the screen).

That's another thing, unless you were in the first coupe of rows, you could only see the top half of the sceen, though you could make out some stuff of the lower half by looking at the reflection on the wobbly ceiling.

I'm also wondering when the stuff in the Autodesk booklet was reading. The bit about Epic it says that GoW is due to be released in 2006....er....that's SO last year yah.

PS. He said UT3 was exclusive to PS3 this year (didn't say PS3 and PC grr).

PPS. Apparently Ruz was giving me that "I don't want to have anything to do with you, but I don't want you to know that" schtick, as he gave me a phone number that didn't work. Schmuck!

PPPS. The UT3 models were awesome.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    [ QUOTE ]
    PS. He said UT3 was exclusive to PS3 this year (didn't say PS3 and PC grr).

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/unrealtournament2007/news.html?sid=6174170

have no fear smile.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    lupus, i texted you 3 times and phoned but you were engaged.
    if your number was correct that 'you' posted in your pm, then all you had to do was reply to my text(s).
    I am sure I gave you the right number.
    anyway, less of the shcmuck stuff man. why would I travel all that way to hang around the west end like a nob.
    I was looking forward to having a beer with you man, but obviously some gremlin or other spoiled all that.

luckily I had a 'plan b' to meet the missus and we ended up having a good time anyway.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was just kidding man :P Meant the schmuck bit in an non-offensive, inappropriately bum-grabbing (not quite 10 year prison sentence) way smile.gif

Aye it seems we each ended up trying to contact the other but missed out a digit in the phone numbers lol.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well I am bit 'bumbly' of late. no worries. yea,what a carry on man.
    I should have walked around asking people, 'do you know lupus from polycount?'
    BTW I saw 'prince' on the undeground station. he had 3 really small friends with him. i am sure it was him man ha ha
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lupus: i was sat right in front of you then, i think. Short-ish hair (you heard it here first! hah), purple-black striped longsleeve, glasses. I was sat near the right side of the last line of chairs. I might go and see the next one of these (on Siggraph spoilers)