Home General Discussion

Car battery(?) problems

So my battery died a little less than a year ago, and i got a new one and its been fine since, but a couple days ago the battery light had came on, i didnt really think anything of it. And then when i got home from work, as i put my car in park and let off the brake it just shut itself off, and now it wont turn over, all it does is make a clicking sound like its trying to but nothing is happening. And i can't jump start it.... Just wondering if anyone could give some insight into what it could be, if i just need a new battery or if its likely that its something more serious?

Replies

• masterofbater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    masterofbater polycounter lvl 17
    If you can't jump start it, it could be a starter problem. Get that looked at first.. I don't think it would be the alternator/battery b/c it would have died sooner if the alternator wasn't charging the battery and you would be able to jump. Obvious part first, check your batter terminals to make sure they haven't loosened up... it happens. But yah if u can't jump get the starter looked at.. hahah or you can be ghetto and do what i used to do whan i had a miata, carried a stick and banged on the starter to get it going! hope this helps!
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    haha I used to hit the starter on my RX-7 with a broomstick as well. So ghetto, but it worked for months.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Good idea to take the battery to get tested, I've had mine die a few times. If the charge is gone maybe there is a problem with it or perhaps you accidentally left something on that drained it.

You can also get home chargers, you just take the battery out, plug the charger into the mains, hook it to the battery and leave it for several hours (or overnight). My neighbour has one and I've used it a few times.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    This sounds like a problem with your alternator to me. If you put in a fresh battery and it loses it's charge while running, you probably have to replace the "brushes" on it.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    hahah or you can be ghetto and do what i used to do whan i had a miata, carried a stick and banged on the starter to get it going! hope this helps!

[/ QUOTE ]

And Jay said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    haha I used to hit the starter on my RX-7 with a broomstick as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a Mazda thing? The starter on mine is a bit of a complainer as well smile.gif

Anyway, this definitely sounds like a starter issue. Even if the alternator is bad, the initial ignition charge comes from the battery, and the fact that it won't even try to turn over makes me think starter motor. Do other electrical components (lights, radio, etc) work if you have the engine turned off? If so, it's not a battery issue.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    if you're trying to jumpstart and it's not changing the way the starter responds, then you either have a bad starter or a bad cable going to the starter. That of course assumes that your other electrics are working(radio), like Verm mentioned. You said it was clicking, which makes me think you have power, and your solenoid is clicking, but the starter isn't doing anything.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    The clicking usually means flat battery.
    My current car tho acts weird when the batter is flat, it just does nothing atall, i freaked one morning when it just wouldnt do anything, then i charged the battery for like 15mins and the engine started on first turn.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    i've had similiar issues with my eclipse and my pathfinder. I replaced the batts in both. Eclipse ended up only needing an adjustment on the serpentine belt and the pulley to the alternator.

Pathfinder it was the starter. It was starting to start rough for a while and then it just went out and wouldn't start. I was able to roll it back a little and then forward down a hill and jump it and drive it to get fixed.

I would check all three components man. Battery, Starter, Alternator. But like someone else mentioned if it was the alternator not charging it would have gone out a long time ago.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I seriously doubt it's the starter. They usually start making very loud noises when they're about to die... if it's the starter, then it probably would've sounded like a screaming coffee grinder for the last few days.

The battery is the easiest one to check anyway, so you should check that first. If you have a friend who's willing to help you out for a few minutes, borrow their battery and swap it with yours. If your car starts, then you know it's the battery (which is my guess). Your battery is less than a year old, so it should be fine and probably just needs to be recharged.

As for why your battery got completely drained (to the point where it couldn't even be jumped), that could be any number of reasons... maybe you left your lights on... maybe you have some problems with your wiring... maybe you have a problem with your alternator (in which case your battery will probably go dead again very soon).

[ QUOTE ]
    if you're trying to jumpstart and it's not changing the way the starter responds, then you either have a bad starter or a bad cable going to the starter. That of course assumes that your other electrics are working(radio), like Verm mentioned. You said it was clicking, which makes me think you have power, and your solenoid is clicking, but the starter isn't doing anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to drive an old '88 Suburban, and that's exactly how it behaved when the battery was completely drained... couldn't be jumped, wouldn't turn over (just clicked), and the radio still had just barely enough juice to turn on. Of course, this was on old 4x4 3/4 ton truck which probably had a pretty beefy starter that needed a lot of juice.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10

Could be the cells on the battery. Check and see if they need water. could be the reason its drained. With the weather we have been having they could have dried up.

If there empty top em off with distilled water and charge it up.

Check connections for corrosion as well and clean with steel wool if necessary.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, I've had starters die with absolutely no prior sound. And true, if the battery is deader than dead, then it could take it a few to charge up before being able to start. The click IS the sound of the solenoid, but it takes less juice than the starter, thus the reason you hear it and not the starter. So again, if you are SURE the battery is taking a charge, but it still just clicks, then your starter is dead.

Also, what kind of car is this? You can blow a regulator and the battery won't charge. Typically that is built into the alternator these days.

Either way, I don't suspect your battery... it may be toast now, but I don't think it's the main problem. If you can manage to get the car to start, or atleast if the start bumps over a few times, then your alternator is probably bad. Replace both it and your battery, because the battery will be weak from supporting a low/bad charging system.

Edit: I keep forgetting to add... yes, definitely check the corrosion on your terminals, as several people have mentioned. I have had a car that just built up too much corrosion between the terminal and the cable. Make sure to put a thin coat of vaseline(or buy the little packets they sell at the store) on the terminal when you install a new battery.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    sounds like the same problem my truck had a month ago. went to start it and all i got was 'clickclickclickclickclick'. i didnt even get the battery light before hand.

had a mechanic friend look at it, said it wasnt the starter or alternator. was a bad/dead cell in the battery. a new one fixed the problem.

definately try a new/different battery before having it hauled to a garage and paying much much more than the cost of a battery.

then, if you're still paranoid you can take it to a garage and have the other stuff checked out. wink.gif
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I just replaced the batter in my car monday. Same thing. clikclikclik...nothing. Radio worked and interior lights worked, but just didn't have enough juice to start the car up.

Replaced the alternator a month ago. When that went you knew it went. Like Keyser said above, it was like the most horrid high pitch metal scrapping sound you can imagine.
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    I've replaced alternators in 2 cars both Nissans. The alternator doesn't necessarily malfunction by undercharging the battery, sometimes (as in the case with one of my cars) it became "stuck" on charge and basically overcharged the battery. All replacement alternators are rebuilt (so the mechanics told me, as it's too expensive to put in a brand new one) so bear that in mind when you shop around for replacement. I had the first car done at a garage I trusted and it took about 3-4 days. In retrospect I would've had that particular alternator changed at a dealership as it would've been done in a day and the extra expense of about $75 would've been worth the convenience.

Good luck!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I had the clicking when my battery died. My first warning was when I unlocked the door and only that door unlocked, like there was no power to auto unlock the other door.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for all your input! I'm hoping its just the batter so i'll bring it in somewhere to get tested this weekend i guess.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Another factor to consider though this may not apply to you, is when you change any audio gear. For example I have heard stories of guys connecting new amps and doing it wrong so that they don't turn off when you turn the car off and remove the keys. This then empties your battery overnight.
  • masterofbater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    masterofbater polycounter lvl 17
    haha... maybe bangin on the starter is a mazda thing.

But I think this is how it goes from what I remember..

If you turn key and it does nothing.. it's battery
    if it clicks.. starter

alternator wouldn't affect allowing the car to start since all it does is charge the battery (for eg..even w/ dead bat and bad alternator in a stick u could still pop the clutch and go) .. so if the battery isn't taking a charge.. easiest would be to get the battery checked than starter.