Home Technical Talk

realistic faces look rubbish!

Hi!

One of these faces is realistic and the other is not. Can you guess which? confused.gif

faceyp8.jpg

Notice what the human mind finds good looking. The most obvious difference is the broad jawline, upwards curving lips, delicate nose, non threatening browline and a small chin. Also large lips like in manga style is often attractive.

Don't bother with photographic references!

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Thank you! I realise my mistake now.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    This thread is really, really silly.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    young japanese girls are more attractive than Brigitte Nielsen.

[/ QUOTE ]

AGREEIN WIT DIS
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    missing the top of the head is obviously not realistic. oh actualy neither has eyes, so neither is realistic.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed! Someday, hopefully, everyone will realize that this 'realism' is nothing but a horribly insufficient imitation of anime, and every single videogame character will look like they were made for Dead or Alive!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Genjix I am teh sorries but your skills lack. Perhaps the evil life drawing classes have molded your mind into something that can only do realism now? You must grow beyond it or suck forever.

This is how its done.

This_is_how.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    This thread is really, really awesome!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

This is how its done.

This_is_how.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! Dead or alive! smile.gif
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't confuse realism with ideal proportions. The second face most certainly is realistic, it just isn't the "ideal" proportion. But, in fact, I think it conforms quite nicely to the idealized form of 'cute' feminine, which is not so different from young girls (or boys, for that matter).

So, I'm not sure what your point of this is... your comparison of realistic faces is what's rubbish.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    If the right face is not real, then this girl must not really exist either.
    http://www.jmusic.blem.it/mkportal/modules/gallery/album/a_29.jpg
  • Genjix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Don't confuse realism with ideal proportions. The second face most certainly is realistic, it just isn't the "ideal" proportion. But, in fact, I think it conforms quite nicely to the idealized form of 'cute' feminine, which is not so different from young girls (or boys, for that matter).

So, I'm not sure what your point of this is... your comparison of realistic faces is what's rubbish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly this is what I mean. Most normal faces I've seen, don't quite turn out how they're expected when I follow them for modelling or drawing for instance.

This is strange since it seems the ideal forms are predefined. But what I was originally hoping was for other to also give their own advice to making better looking faces...
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Genjix, what do you mean by 'better'...are these two faces meant to be the same character? I doubt it. They're different faces for 2 completely different characters.

I'm confused...
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    What face is more realistic 101 you decide

faceyp8copy.jpg

Face mask doth not like.. looks like the right mesh fits the shape proportions better
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Anime has taught me that human anatomy is flawed. All women should have eyes bigger than their brains.

Any of you guys wanna join my DBZ mod?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    All women should have tits bigger than their heads

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed.
  • Genjix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Genjix, what do you mean by 'better'...are these two faces meant to be the same character? I doubt it. They're different faces for 2 completely different characters.

I'm confused...

[/ QUOTE ]

The left head is from an image of a real woman, and the right one is from a good manga image. I made them using the same technique but different image templates for modelling. They are used on 2 characters sharing the same body model (slightly more refined in one).
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    You have to take into consideration different anatomy of different race too tho. For example the nose ridge of your anime model is actually the kind of nose ridge you'll see on real asian girls too. So the left head would be way off if you're trying to do asian/jp/chinese girl while the right head would look very convincing regardless of it's style.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i really don't have a fucking clue what this tread is about?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's about 'Don't bother with photographic references! '
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    i really don't have a fucking clue what this tread is about?

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA I can't agree more. Young hot asian girls FTW!
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    To me... I would choose the face on the right. There's more opportunity to be more artistically stylish with it. "Realism" can be so restrictive.

Not to be a douche, but the profile on your realistic head is a little off. Careful with the cheeks
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well there is such as huge variety in the size and shape of faces generally, so i can't see the point of this comparison.
    There are infinite variations in both male and female heads.
    More often then not the artist will idealise a face he is making to fit in with his artistic vision, but still keeping to some basic ideas of proportion.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meh all faces follow a golden rule, its been scientifically proven.. thos sure you can have all the stylistic freedom in your art. But for realism theres an obvious limit to what is right or not. Look at the pic i made in my post before, the red mask i super imposed on the mesh. That is like a template for a perfect female face (used mostly to figure out "beauty"), but i think its perfect to get realistic proportions on faces, read more about it here its a nice read on face construction in general i think smile.gif
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't think its rubbish tongue.gif, well for people who want to learn how make realistic faces its a small helpful guide for proportions i think!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modeling humans is rubish, you all should be out there modeling big alien cocks. what the hell is wrong with you people
  • Genjix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ganjix.. are you.. do you... let me get this straight... ok.. Let's see.. you tried modeling a head after a photo, and the result didn't turn out the way you wanted.. so you.. here's the interesting part.. so you go on to conclude NOT that your model needs tweaking, but that.. omg.. that *all realistic heads fail to be sufficiently attractive*? In so case, that could qualify as the most narcissistic and arrogant post made on the polycount forums. Or it could just be that, dude, you REALLY need to go out and meet some real girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

What're you trying to prove? That you are a somebody with a life? haha.

I am concluding this. That ideal beauty seems to be non realistic. For instance a large hip to waist ratio is very rare but is supposedly an attractive attribute as it shows a womans child bearing ability. Wonder why women wear red lipstick and put red dapper on cheeks? I heard somewhere it was to enhance the vision of good blood circulation.

Large eyed characters have visual appeal to young children, which makes me think theres also some attributes in the female face which when enhanced can increase the beauty of the face. Realistic faces seem to only have a few of these attributes and so cannot excel in all areas.

Needles: This is the sort of thing I've been looking for. Maybe from here there can be some good facial templates. smile.gif
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    It looks like you modeled from a photo without using a perspective view (any photo, you might guess, has perspective). Because of this, the model on the left is less realistic-- the head is not wide enough, especially on the outsides of the eyes.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    In so case, that could qualify as the most narcissistic and arrogant post made on the polycount forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on now, it's got plenty of competition for that honor.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

I'm confused...

[/ QUOTE ]

The left head is from an image of a real woman, and the right one is from a good manga image. I made them using the same technique but different image templates for modelling. They are used on 2 characters sharing the same body model (slightly more refined in one).

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're really saying is that you prefer to create stylized (manga) characters rather than realistic ones? Is that right? If so, no worries...that's all you had to say.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    hehehe laugh.gif

I like a lot the characters from eternal sonata for example. The realistic ones in other games are too ugly for me, like they were dead corpses (uncanney valley?). Artists don't have that eye to do nice characters (me included), it's really hard to achieve something beautiful and attractive being realistic.

Is someone playing Granado Espada?? the character work in that game is superb, not realistic (very anime). People usually tends to love more the 2d look than the 3d look. There are too many discussions about this over the internet. For some reason the majority of people prefer the anime girls instead of the real ones. I like both.

I think this is a question of taste.
  • Revliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revliss polycounter lvl 17
    hmm i have meet a few girls that looks like the model at he right(anemi) hmm so i say realistic faces look rubbish. sine that how Asian girls looks like........... i think he just want ot say Asian girls looks Better that all But her say it in a very wrong way....
  • raydog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's an issue that's been dealt with even in animation. The right head could have more expression and more appeal because you can exaggerate it a bit more. The one on the left being on the realistic side would just look silly if you try to push the expression. Because of this, the head on the right could have more " life ". It's the same argument that you could have when you compare a rotoscoped or motion captured animation compared to a very nicely animated piece by...let's say Glen Keanne ( disney animator on Tarzan, Aladdin and other characters ) or even a clip from The Incredibles. The rotoscoped or mocap animations are realistic because you're just copying it from the real thing. But somehow it seems to be lacking that spark of " life ". A piece done by Glen Keanne in comparison has more energy and is more dynamic. So, as a viewer, you lean more towards the exaggerated movement. And I think it's the same in this case.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for fuck sake close leave the man alone.
  • raydog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In response to the last post, I wasn't bashing his models as I understand from your comment. I was simply in agreement with him on what he was saying, how the model on the right has more appeal. I don't have any problems with the left head.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my comment wasnt for a particular user . it was more of a general comment.

anywho.. instead of posting this heads in here. if you made them. you should instead post them on p&p and finished them.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    And why didnt you subdivide the realistic head but did so on the unrealistic one?
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never mind the fact that the face on the right is smiling, and has eyebrows that suggest happiness, while the face on the left has a look that could kill. Try adding hair, tweaking the expressions, and trying to attain a more realistic "realistic" model.

I'm sure you'll find the one on the left can look just as good, if not far better than the one on the right, with some artistic license. Realistic faces don't "look rubbish," if they're done right, and attention is paid to the small details of the face.
  • alyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We all have our own preference when it comes to style.
    I prefer real girls over the blow up dolls.
  • Genjix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think it's an issue that's been dealt with even in animation. The right head could have more expression and more appeal because you can exaggerate it a bit more. The one on the left being on the realistic side would just look silly if you try to push the expression. Because of this, the head on the right could have more " life ". It's the same argument that you could have when you compare a rotoscoped or motion captured animation compared to a very nicely animated piece by...let's say Glen Keanne ( disney animator on Tarzan, Aladdin and other characters ) or even a clip from The Incredibles. The rotoscoped or mocap animations are realistic because you're just copying it from the real thing. But somehow it seems to be lacking that spark of " life ". A piece done by Glen Keanne in comparison has more energy and is more dynamic. So, as a viewer, you lean more towards the exaggerated movement. And I think it's the same in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a cool argument. I remember hearing this applied to 3D animation wrt clay animation.

Its interesting to note this subtlety, which when we see exaggerated improves the quality of the image over real life smile.gif

Realistic is rarely perfect imo.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I like the girl on the left. Girl on the right looks like she would piss and moan and have the voice of a school girl.

Give me the husky bald one with the bigger lips.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Sweet baby jesus, just found this while I was out troll fishing.

So you mean to say that realism can't be achieved, or achieved in a pleasant manner? Ever heard of mental ray or vray? Or any ambient lighting system for that matter?
    I'm sure the cgi industry as a whole would be thrilled with your verdict on artistic and technological ability, so with that all considered, people would not go to see any more films, buy any more games, because the realism just isn't there.
    Do you realise how absurd you are making yourself look?
    This thread is ridiculous but it's damn funny!
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    christ on a pushbike!

this thread realy delivers XD

the marquardmask is a good starting point if youre starting to study faces buts its absoutaly rubbish if you actually want to do a realistic face.
    the marquardmask depicts the perfect face, which (also with some common sense applied) in reality there isnt!
    each face hase its flaws, they can be minor, but they are there.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    so GCMP you decided to revive an old thread to use retarded statements about realism to sound superior to the weirdo that created the thread ? you have mad sad skills.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Thread closed. That was a foolish move, GCMP.
This discussion has been closed.