Home Technical Talk

Unpredictable Arcs

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Hito interpolator
I'm doing some animations recently and run into Bones doing unpredictable flips and rotations. For example the right arm starts at relaxed position at the side of the body, reaches up and touches the left ear. Then return to original position.

There are no IK solvers, strictly FK.
Standard arm structure with clavicle->Bicep->forearm.

On returning to original position the arm tends flip out of wack and arms wildly before settling to final frame.

The bones all have Euler XYZ as default rotation. I can solve this by setting the bones to use Smooth Rotation; but then I don't have access to the keyframes in the curve editor. I've run into this with Biped as well in similar situations and usually resort to keying it out manually, sometimes ending up with a stop motion feel. Which isn't best for everything.

How do you animators deal with this?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Were the curves all fine in the track view curve editor?

I think this sometimes happens if you copy a keyframe from the start to the end of an animation, because it takes the absolute rotation from the copied frame rather than the relative - you might find it's doing a large negative translation (like -350 degrees instead of +10 degrees). This is a value you can check in track view too.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    yeah that's what I'm doing, copying frame 1 to the last frame since the arm returns to the same position. and it shows in the curve editor, the channels have a large shift going to the final frame that is a copy of the 1st frame. I see the issue, but am not so sure how to solve it without giving up being able to edit the curves later.

How would you achieve the same position at the end without copying the frame from the beginning? I guess what I'm really asking is whats the proper technique to create a good cycling animation with Max Bones or Biped? Before now I make a cycle and then copy it so there are two repitions of the cycle and then crop it down to a good cycle with the timeline.
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    I've run into this before and its usually an issue with the rig not being setup properly. Your curves are getting messed up after you copy your keyframes, like what Mop said. You should be able to fix this with the curve editor though. Just make sure to set your key's tangents to custom and you should then be able to adjust your curves and smooth everything out.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    there aren't any setup on the rig, just skeleton. All FK animation. Seems like its just an issue with Euler method.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    rather than copying frames just start off by seting a key at the first frame, then scroll the time slider to the last frame and set a key before moving anything. see if that fixes the error.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IIRC, Eulers get compounded over time, so if you suddenly try to reintroduce an earlier value, by copying an early key to the end... even if the last key and the first are pointing at the same angle... the Euler values are actually very different, thus the sudden extreme rotation. Or at least that's what I remember.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Did you try doubling the keys at the beginning and end of the animation sequence? Usually this fixes TCB controller problems with looping sequences, don't know about Euler though. So it's not just the first and last frames that are the same, but rather the first two and last two frames are identical. Then just specify your timeline/game engine to ignore the very first and last frames, they just act as "padding" in this case.

Like I said, this works with the biped's TCB controller, but might still be worth a try with euler as well.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Did you try selecting all the offending keys and hitting the "Auto Curves" button?
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    I set the bones that flip to smooth rotation and then back to Euler XYZ. This caused the 1st frame to disappear. I copied the last frame to the 1st frame, and for almost all the bones that solved everything. I only had to completely rekey one bone after this.

Vailias - I'll try that with the next round of animations.

eric - yeah I remember something like that now that you mention it. I don't know how it would have helped if I remembered it. I think I'm just really rusty animating with maxbones

hyrumark - I tried it and it didn't seem to do much. But I'll remember it when I animate with biped in the future.

mop - yeah I tried that the first time around and the little hiccup when the cycle turns around remained, but after I set the bones to smooth and then back to euler, that worked. well sort of, auto curves sets the bias bar to the tangent at the key, which is the same as setting slow in and out manually for the key.

I got alot of refreshing to do.
  • Genjix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm doing some animations recently and run into Bones doing unpredictable flips and rotations. For example the right arm starts at relaxed position at the side of the body, reaches up and touches the left ear. Then return to original position.

There are no IK solvers, strictly FK.
    Standard arm structure with clavicle->Bicep->forearm.

On returning to original position the arm tends flip out of wack and arms wildly before settling to final frame.

The bones all have Euler XYZ as default rotation. I can solve this by setting the bones to use Smooth Rotation; but then I don't have access to the keyframes in the curve editor. I've run into this with Biped as well in similar situations and usually resort to keying it out manually, sometimes ending up with a stop motion feel. Which isn't best for everything.

How do you animators deal with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Use IK and bake them to FK
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    It's probably because over time values of one or more axis could go beyond 360 degrees, causing extreme rotational value changes when going back to the original frame. The easiest way to fix this, if this is indeed the problems, is add or substact 360 degrees from the copyed keys that are way off, so they're as close to the previous key as possible. A graph editor shot of the keys that are causing the problem might help...

If that's not the problem it could also be gimbal locking: http://www.anticz.com/eularqua.htm which is a far more annoying problem to fix afterwards.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX for the win!