Home General Discussion

Laptop time (again)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
Again for you guys - first time for me. I'm looking at getting a new PC and going for a laptop rather than upgrading my desktop machine.

I checked out the threads here, and found some valuable advice, and I'd love to hear what good/bad experiences anyone has had with new laptops.

As far as price and spec goes, I'm looking at something like a Dell inspiron XPS M1710 with XP pro, 17in monitor, 2 gig ram, fastest processor, 7,200 speed hard drive, 512MB GeForce 7950 GTX graphics card - which is coming in at about £1,700.

Damn, the dell machines are FUGLY though. I know Daz has a Toshiba satellite, and some of the Asus machines are good looking. Any further advice? It's my first time and since these machines are more or less 'frozen in time' as far as upgrades go, I want to make the best choice possible.

Ideally I'm after a gaming and 3d modelling machine...

Replies

• sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I honestly wouldn't recommend Toshiba. I had a Toshiba back in the day - brand new 1.1ghz PIII with all the fancy jazz, cost about $2k. It turned out that the laptop would overheat after about 15-30 min of heavy usage. Everyone who had that model complained to Toshiba and they never did anything. Finally they released a "fix" for it. Their fix was to cripple the processor so that it was the equivilant of a 500mhz PII. They refused to give refunds or do anything beyond that. A bunch of people got together and filed a class action lawsuit, and Toshiba finally had to pay everyone like $500 or $800. I ended up selling the piece of shit on eBay before the lawsuit was settled. My mom also had a P4 Toshiba satellite and the LCD has gone out 3 times and the RAM has gone bad once.

Asus and Dell I would recommend.

Check this laptop out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220182 8600 so that you can use DX10. And its about 1500 USD cheaper than that Dell model.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I've heard good things about Asus laptops, but haven't owned one, or know of someone who owns one, to get a really good judgement of them. Most of the info I've read/heard about them, has been online.

To help in the longevity area, go with something that supports dx10 like the one sonic suggested.

The Dell models are pretty good also. At least the standard Dells are. That's what they use where I work and they hold up to some pretty good abuse from these engineers. I would agree though, their XPS series doesn't have a very appealing design.

Also, I don't know what they have to offer in the area that you're looking to buy, but Gateway has some nice machines. I got my wife one earlier this year and it's been pretty nice. It has an awesome battery life, a beautiful screen, and seems constructed well. Her's is a very basic/standard laptop though.

One thing to remember: Look for screens that say "ultra brite" or some gimmicky name like that. The names change, and sound stupid, but typically it means the high contrast, shiny LCDs, which you'll love.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I've seen a dell 'ultrabrite' screen, and they are spectacular. I want to buy in the UK to get a UK warranty. I thought I might wait 'till I go to Florida in August, and get more bang for my buck, but I heard stories of folks having to send defective machines back to the country they bought it from - which could prove expensive... And then of course there's import tax..
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    yes stay away from Toshiba, my bro bought a new satellite one a year ago, it overheats and a gig of ram gone bad thus far.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    I have a Rock Xtreme CTX Pro. Given me no hassles so far. Has a full sized keyboard with numeric keypad. Specs are similar to the Dell XPS you mentioned and it cost me around £1500.

http://www.rockdirect.co.uk/
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 that I'm selling on craigslist to cut the cost of the laptop that sonic posted. Hopefully I can get it soon and tell you how it is, though the reviews on newegg seem to be very very good!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've been considering picking up a lappy sometime soon, so this thread has come in handy. I was definitely looking into getting a high-end Dell machine. Oh, and thanks for the warning about the Toshiba systems, I remember them being the shit way back.

-caseyjones
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Again for you guys - first time for me. I'm looking at getting a new PC and going for a laptop rather than upgrading my desktop machine.

I checked out the threads here, and found some valuable advice, and I'd love to hear what good/bad experiences anyone has had with new laptops.

As far as price and spec goes, I'm looking at something like a Dell inspiron XPS M1710 with XP pro, 17in monitor, 2 gig ram, fastest processor, 7,200 speed hard drive, 512MB GeForce 7950 GTX graphics card - which is coming in at about £1,700.

Damn, the dell machines are FUGLY though. I know Daz has a Toshiba satellite, and some of the Asus machines are good looking. Any further advice? It's my first time and since these machines are more or less 'frozen in time' as far as upgrades go, I want to make the best choice possible.

Ideally I'm after a gaming and 3d modelling machine...

[/ QUOTE ]

you could get the same spec mac book pro and enjoy windows and osx on the same machine. The battery will last longer, the screen are now brighter and come in super high rez on the 17" machines.

thats my advice anyway

Don't get a HP.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    hey man. i went through this in december and looked at so many different laptops. I ended up getting the Dell XPS M1710. The same one you mentioned for a few reasons. I can upgrade my ram to 4 gigs (newegg has some patriot memory that is really good stuff right now for under 400 for 4 gigs.)

I got the core 2 duo and the 7950GTX. The best screen they offer and I got this thing loaded minus the blu ray drive because it would have driven the price up a bit and delayed my order.

I got the best warranty they had so if i decide to get mad and punch a hole in my screen i can get a new one.

So far I have had an amazing experience with mine. It plays any game I toss at it and my work in max, maya, mudbox, zbrush hasn't been any issues.

I like the lights on it and the built in bluetooth and wireless-n.

Also take a look at newegg and compare the price on the best core2duo for the dell. I'm about to buy the newest one off newegg since I didn't get the best one they had when I bought my laptop because they are upgradable. Next year the quad cores will be out in their mobile glory though.

But let me find that link for the 4 gigs of ram for under 400.

EDIT*** OK HOLY SHIT IT'S A LOT CHEAPER NOW.
    $259.98 FOR 4 GIGS OF RAM. (2 STICKS OF 2 GIGS)

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820220229
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    i don't recommend going with dell, they're somewhat poor quality, my wife has one and she's had hers replaced a few times till she got one that actually worked and had all the specs she actually ordered. She has one of those 15" inspirions and it feels really cheap and clunky.

i guess i'll recommend asus... i have one. the best one right now is probably either the G1 or the G1S. they both have 15" screens, core 2 duo cpus and good video cards for pretty decent prices. i used to have a 12lb 17" laptop before and ... lugging that thing around wasn't very fun, the 15" is much better. as for video cards the G1 has a 512mb 7700, and the G1S has a 256 8600, which from what i hear is a really good card and its like one of the first DX10 compatible ones out there, not like dx10 is really that important right now, but still, kind of nice to have. and ... i guess both of these laptops look pretty sweet
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    you could get the same spec mac book pro and enjoy windows and osx on the same machine. The battery will last longer, the screen are now brighter and come in super high rez on the 17" machines.

thats my advice anyway

Don't get a HP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I forgot about the new Macbook pros having the 8600. The cheapest one is $2000 USD and it has a 2.2ghz Core2duo, 2gb RAM, 120gb HDD, and 8600m GT. Not bad for a Mac! smile.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i don't recommend going with dell, they're somewhat poor quality, my wife has one and she's had hers replaced a few times till she got one that actually worked and had all the specs she actually ordered. She has one of those 15" inspirions and it feels really cheap and clunky.

[/ QUOTE ]

You gotta keep in mind that he is thinking of the XPS which is a much nicer laptop than the standard inspirons. I was scared to go with Dell at first as well and was lucky to play with one of these before I bought it because a buddy from school picked it up.

Dell even took off over 700 dollars when I had it built just because I asked if they could cut the cost a little bit. It was a total random question and the guy was like let me see what I can do and blam he gave me the new quote. That's a lot off. BUT you gotta get whats best for what you need.

What are your main focuses on this rig?
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    What are your main focuses on this rig?

[/ QUOTE ]

3d and games, plus maybe a little video editing. Basically everything which thrashes the processor, memory and graphics. smile.gif

I just had a look at the Aurora m9700 from alienware, and could get the dual 512 gforce go 7900gs with sli - giving me 1 gig of video memory! I've heard conflicting reports of Alienware though - especially of late...

I've seen the Dells and know that they're fine, friends have had no issues with them. I'd far rather have something which looks like a ferrari than a hummer though..
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I have a Asus g1... I love it too. Nice little powerhorse, relatively cheap. the 15.4 screen is perfect.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I still wholeheartedly endorse the HP nw9440. Quadro 1500 (nvidia 7900 gt chip) for the win!

It's also the thinnest lightest 17" laptop with a serious graphics card in it. 1.3" and 7.5 lbs

poop.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll definitely take a look at Rock, Asus and HP. Is there any point going for a 1920 x 1200 resolution on a 17" screen? I would imagine you'd have to have 20-20 vision to get the most from it. Do you think a 1440 x 700 display is good enough?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Personally I wouldn't pay any extra for it, but if it's the only difference between two comparable units, then I'd get the higher res (not that you have to run it there). But as you said, it would be rediculous to look at. My only thought is upping the res, then enlarging all icons, just so you can get cleaner detail :/
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    there is also Falcon Northwest which I have heard some decent things about. http://www.falcon-nw.com/

Haven't heard any reviews for or against them in a while, but they do have VERY customizable rigs.

[EDIT] After further review...WOOOWEEE have their prices went up. o.o I'd avoid these guys (I think...) unless you have a lot of cash you just really don't have anything better to do with. $5,000 for a laptop. ooof. [/EDIT]
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I've been reading some reviews on the Alienware Aurora m9700, one of which stated that the sli bridge on the dual graphics cards was effectively redundant unless you wanted FSAA and ANISO filtering, and that the single Turion 64 bit processor was a real bottleneck. Sheesh - it's never easy huh?

The Dell is looking favourite on graphics/processor power at the mo, but the alienware might just win it on pure sex appeal. smile.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude don't get the alienware. The core 2 duo is by far a better processor. Alienwares are made by dell too fyi so I don't know why they don't come with core 2 duos and the dual gfx cards.

I have the 7950 GTX in mine and it is great. Don't know if you saw the link I posted above for the cheap ram on new egg. Under 300 bucks for 4 gigs of ram for the xps. Such an awesome deal.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    dude don't get the alienware. The core 2 duo is by far a better processor. Alienwares are made by dell too fyi so I don't know why they don't come with core 2 duos and the dual gfx cards.

I have the 7950 GTX in mine and it is great. Don't know if you saw the link I posted above for the cheap ram on new egg. Under 300 bucks for 4 gigs of ram for the xps. Such an awesome deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Jesse. Yeah, I saw the link. I think the alienware stuff tried some voodoo shit on me, and looks ain't everything...

As I said to a friend "I've been reading reviews of the alienware aurora machine. Apparently, the SLI bridge does very little, since the graphics cards aren't being taxed enough unless you start to use FSAA and the like, and the single AMD Turion processor is a serious bottleneck. One reviewer recommends dropping one of the graphics cards and just buying one.It looks like the Dell machine has more graphics AND processor grunt, so I have a clear choice. Do I go for the fugly Ukrainian female shot-putter, or the dolly bird who can't do the dishes without cracking a nail...."

Seriously, this machine has to be a workhorse in games AND processing power, so it looks like Dell m1710 FTW.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    I've done a lot of research on this too. Having used a 17inch dell inspiron 9300 for 2 years now, i have to say, size and weight isn't an issue if you are using it as a desktop replacement and provided you don' use it on the go, the thing is like a brick.

I would go with the asus G1s, since you are getting the same specs as with the G2s, it's lighter, connect a monitor and you're done. I'll be getting mine in a few weeks when I head back to Singapore, I simply cannot stand the 18% EU tax ( I am presently residing in the Netherlands)

So.. asus, for the dx10 card, upgradebility to 4Gb if need be. and a decent processor. OR you could wait for the asus c90, which is a totally upgradable 15inch laptop, runs on desktop cpus.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    I believe the Dell XPS M1710 is a good system. Don't think you could go wrong there. It was my first choice but unfortunately Dell were only accepting credit cards and I didn't have access to one at the time. Not sorry though. Very happy with my Rock lappy.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I've decided to go for the dell inspiron XPS m1710, with 2 gigs of ram (I could have gone for 4 gigs, but I'd rather spend the money on an extended warranty and accident cover right now) the 512 mb GeForce 7950 GTX, the biggest hard drive, XP pro - and a widescreen intuos 3 a5 tablet. I'll let you know what I think of it when I get it (could take a couple of weeks yet).

Many thanks for all your suggestions!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey no problem. I was just playing Quake Wars today on mine with max settings on everything and I had no issues. Played very nicely.

I am a huge fan of this thing and actually enjoy the appearance of it and don't think she's ugly. I enjoy the lights on the sides and have messed with some of the scripts people have made to get different effects.

I also go the warranty and accidental damage coverage. 4 years worth so when my lappy takes a spill at 2 years wink.gif I can get it replaced.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I honestly wouldn't recommend Toshiba.......

[/ QUOTE ]

hah too funny, I was going to counter your story earlier with saying how incredibly happy I was with my P105 Satellite. Performance is awesome and I loved everything about it....until yesterday smile.gif The power cord broke at the neck where it goes into the pc. Did a bit of googling and found this!
    So it seems to be an unaddressed fundamental design flaw. Awesome. Will probably stay away from Toshibas next time, but that might depend on my customer service treatment when I call them tomorrow.
    Anyhoo, glad you made the right choice for you Gmanx. There are so many thousands of laptops out there, its dizzying trying to make a choice.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    My intuos 3 turned up last night!
    Sorry for crappy pic - cameraphone.

intuos.jpg

The Dell's gonna be another week... frown.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I'm looking at the same as you. At least 2gig of ram, 1.8ghz dual core and at least 120gig space.. but whilst I want it as a desktop replacement, I also don't want a massive screen and a clunky system. I also want less than a 13" screen and less than 2.2kg. The Dell XPS M1210 looks great to me laugh.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    im sorry to derail thsi thread man, ill remove my message if you want to.

Im also looking for a good laptop , i searched pctorque and Sager, but the laptops are huge, and i bet it would be a matter of minutes before it fried and melted in my hands, i searched all the DElls , etc but they dont ship to Portugal , so any recomendation for a somesort of light laptop but with good power to run games life bf2 and command and conquer 3 in max sets ?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I already told you via PM Johny. Lightest thinnest 17" laptop is the HP nw9440. 7900 gt, core 2 duo, etc etc. It's thin, light, and awesome. I love it.

poop.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    yeah i know, but they dont seem to ship to Portugal, and no way im buying a laptop in europe since it would cost me 75% for the same model.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have it shipped to one of your US friends. (I'd do it if I still lived there) and then have them ship it to you.

poop.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    great idea ! thanks man.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    "im sorry to derail thsi thread man, ill remove my message if you want to."

NP Johny, less of a derail - more like an on topic shunt!

I'm pleased that other people can find useful info in here. I still have a week to wait if Dell are honest with their shipping dates.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken: I did a quick price comparison between 2 of the notebooks listed here as well as the macbookpro - mostly out of curiosity, and partly because I'm thinking of getting one myself (I bought my gf one and love it, and would much rather have control over my windows install and what extras I put in).

Here goes: (all direct from manufacturer sites)

Model: HP Compaq nw9440

.Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1500 256mb
    Processor: 2.44GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4MB cache, 667MHz FSB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Hard Drive: 100 GB 7200 RPM
    Display: 17" WUXGA (1920 x 1200)

Weight: 7.5 lbs
    Thickness: 1.3 inch

Cost: 3735.00

Maximum HD size is 100 GB @ 7200 rpm. 512 meg gfx card optional

Model: Dell Inspiron XPS ml1710

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS 256mb
    Processor: 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4MB cache, 667MHz FSB
    Hard Drive: 160 GB 7200 RPM
    Display: 17" WUXGA (1920 x 1200)

Weight: 9 lbs
    Thickness: 1.7 inch

Cost: $3149.00

Notes: Definitely the most configurable. 512 mb gfx card optional, as well as larger hard drives
    Casing looks uber-retarded.

Model: MacBookPro

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256mb
    Processor: 2.4 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4MB cache, 800 MHz FSB
    Hard Drive: 160 GB 7200 RPM
    Display: 17" High-Resolution Widescreen (1920x1200)

Weight: 6.8 lbs
    Thickness: 1 inch

Cost: $3098.00
    Add a copy of win XP to this if you want a windows machine ($145.00)
    New Cost: $3243.00

Notes: Larger hard drives available. Awesome looking case, and very sturdy build (personal experience).
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gwot, that nw9440 price is misleading. For some reason they rape you up the butt if you order your ram from them. My nw9440 was only 2400, and I added 4 gb of ram for 240 dollars. Admittedly, I only have a core 2 duo 2.0 ghz, but that's much cheaper than 3,700 bux. That, and HP has reps all over the world, so they were able to fix my computer even when I was in Switzerland, for free. (3 year warranty with the HP)

poop.gif
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I did notice that if I tried to configure for 4 gb it was over 1k extra for the other 2 gigs with the HP, compared to 750 at apple. I just tried to keep the comparisons fairly even by keeping the specs similar and sticking with the manufacturer sites, as that is where I would be likely to order from. Company locations are definitely something to consider, especially if you live outside of north america, as apple has less support outside the americas.

BTW, how was your machine for extra software being installed? I noticed that with the dell you had no choice but to accept at least a trial installation of an antivirus program. Not sure about other stuff like cd/dvd burning or playback bundles, etc that tend to get added as well. That's one reason why I would prefer to install my own OS.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Daz I forgot to mention that about the Toshibas. That was probably the number 1 complaint on people bringing their laptops into best buy to get fixed. The power cord and the plug in back as well. Some of the customers were lucky and I was able to solder / fix the port in the back but others it had to be sent out. I wanted to get a Toshiba so badly for a while until I started seeing all the issues from working on them and I was just put off.

Yeah on another note. Don't buy too much ram from the company that makes your laptops. Like Poops said you will get ass-raped. Newegg has amazing deals on ram all the time. I just orderd my 4 gigs for my Dell for under 300 bucks. Patriot Memory too so it's good stuff.

I also ended up going with the mid range core 2 duo but now that the prices have dropped a little i'm gonna pick up the higher end one and upgrade my notebook.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gwot: When I got mine it was completely devoid of everything but Windows. I think. Either that, or I formatted first thing. HAH!

poop.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    so what you advise is that i buy everything but not the ram from them , like i choose the lowest ram, and buy on neweeg higher ?
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you get the nw9440, get the cheapest version, which comes with a single 1 gb stick. Either get a 2nd 1 gb stick if you want 2 total, or get 2x2 for a 4 gb total off newegg.

Dang, now it's only 2k for the nw9440. Such a great buy.

poop.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Johny look at the type of ram you need for the laptop and then just go to newegg and look around at the prices for the same type, speed, etc. You will save a lot of money in the end.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Last time for digging up this thread, honest.

It came today. Pics here:

http://www.gmanx.com/album/laptop/XpsPack.jpg

http://www.gmanx.com/album/laptop/XpsOpen.jpg

On first impressions I'm very happy with it. I installed Stalker to give it a stress test and it ran fine. Both the laptop and my new Intuos wide tablet 'just' fit into the targus bag I ordered with it. Now I just have to figure out how to change the colours on the LED displays.

Thanks again to everyone for their help and suggestions..
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hey people just to let you know that i bought the alienware M 9750 and it was cheaper than any computer with the same specs ehehe , i know the costumer service sucks etc, but if i ever get anything broken i have a "friend" that will take care of it smile.gif

thanks all for helping me out !!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to change the led colors in windows in the task bar in the lower right find the dell quickset toolbar. double click and it will bring up some options. Click on gaming and you will see the control panel for the leds. there is a few different options to play with, strobe, pulse, beat to music, etc.

Nice laptop by the way