Home Technical Talk

photoshop padding?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
anyone know of an action/script/plugin to "pad" a layer or selection within photoshop(CS2)? i want it to act in the way 3d packages pad element edges in UV bakes. would be nectareous if i could choose the pixel thickness.

or can someone post a picture of a sweet looking dragon?

thanks Dewdslawl!!1

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    when I want to do this I select the black area around the uvs, invert the selection and run a recorded action that copies and pastes the layer twice, and on the underneath layer blurs slightly, then duplicates and merges down loads of times so its thick colour. you could alter the blur ammount to change the thickness.

theres probably slicker ways but it gets the job done smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Maximum usually works fairly well provided your background outside the UV areas is dark.

Select that "background" part with magic wand or whatever, then do Filters -> Other -> Maximum.

It's not a perfect representation of what padding from Max etc. does, but it's probably good enough for mip-mapping.

Rooster's method is the same one as I have an action for, does almost exactly the same thing... but I don't use it much anymore smile.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    when I want to do this I select the black area around the uvs, invert the selection and run a recorded action that copies and pastes the layer twice, and on the underneath layer blurs slightly, then duplicates and merges down loads of times so its thick colour. you could alter the blur ammount to change the thickness.

theres probably slicker ways but it gets the job done smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

omgz, stolen from t3h BoBo. smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    heh, its quite a logical solution tongue.gif
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i honestly don't find the result of blurring and overlaying a copy of the texture in PS too exciting. colors don't match exactly and thus seams still show up in a distance really quickly, if all, it's only a slight improvement to flesh out the texture border.

i prefer importing the model/texture into zbrush and using the FSborder/FixSeam thingie in the tool palette. let's me set the amount of padding and does a proper job. poof - seams gone!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have an Action that does what MoP mentioned.

http://www.ericchadwick.com/examples/files/uv_edge_filter.zip

Works great as long as you feed it the right image. The black area must be hard-edged no AA (or you get dark streaks in the pad), and you must select the black area yourself before running the Action.

Non-destructive, puts the padding on a new layer.

If you pick it apart, you're welcome to get rid of the blur filter, or anything else.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah, mentioned this in another post...

After running it once, you can run it again and again for an ever-thicker pad, as long as you start each time with a selection of the new empty areas. Each time it makes a 4-pixel pad.

Or you can edit the Action to push more/less pixels, by copying/removing the steps.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    you could just put the layer you want padding on through max's render to texture. You can load individual PSD layers in max and re render them with the padding you need. just a thought:)