Home General Discussion

xbox 360 VGA deal

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
Sharing a good deal laugh.gif

If anyone is looking for a vga cable for the xb360, Target has the Psyclone Essentials brand for $16. I had gone to Best Buy earlier and the official VGA is $59.99. This cable works great on my widescreen LCD at 1280x720 returning the other one to best Buy tomorrow.

Replies

• oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    bah, I just bought one for the higher price and the box is thrashed like hell, so I can't bring it back. Wonder if best buy would just accept me handing them the cable as a return XD
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    the 360's gay VGA output doesn't work with my Sony TV. frown.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    bah, I just bought one for the higher price and the box is thrashed like hell, so I can't bring it back. Wonder if best buy would just accept me handing them the cable as a return XD

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you don't need the box just the product and receipt. I worked there for close to 2 years. Just bring it on back before the 14 days or whatever it is.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    offical vga was 35 I thought. thats what I got mine for. it works great.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    been considering getting a vga cable just for the dvd upscaling, anyone tried it and noticed an improvement?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Well, although I'll probably sound like a tool... what's VGA? How does it compare to HDMI?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    vga is a step down from hdmi, but a step about component.

vga is what computers used to use. the format is an analog signal while hdmi is a digital signal if I remember correctly.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, awesome, I'm good then. Thanks a bunch Keg. smile.gif
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you don't need the box just the product and receipt. I worked there for close to 2 years. Just bring it on back before the 14 days or whatever it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet, thx for the info laugh.gif
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    if u guys have problems finding them, i can grab a couple from my local target.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I don't know about this specific cable, but some of the unofficial VGA cables don't have an optical audio out, if that matters to you. It did to me, so I got the official one, which is $40US.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mine wasn't the official but it had all the hookups. it works like a charm.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    the 360's gay VGA output doesn't work with my Sony TV. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

no? which model? works with mine fine.

I found that swapping PC and Consoles around on the Aquos here in the office makes it spin out a bit, but you just need to flip the analogue / digital settings one time and things come back to life.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawken, more precisely I should say that 1080p doesn't work on my Sony TV, via VGA.

TV model is KDS-50A2000
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but works at 720p right? strange
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It will go to 1280x720. But it's not scaled to fit the screen. So there's black bars all around it. Which is stupid, considering it's a SXRD set. It's not like a monitor or anything. The TV will only accept a 1080p signal via HDMI. Lots of people have this problem. That's why we've been harassing MS for a while now, asking for HDMI on the regular Xbox360, not just the elite. From what I've heard, it looks like a HDMI cable is being readied for release, so that's good news.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Ok sounds more like your TV has gay inputs...
    Its like saying oh no my diesel car doesnt drive with your gay petrol..

But whatever
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My TV has gret inputs. It just doesn't support the specific VGA protocol that Microsoft decided to use for their VGA (something called sync-on-green. That a crock.

My tv has HDMI, DVI, component, vga, and composite. It's great. It just doesn't support 1080p over anything but HDMI. It's pretty much how Windows Vista handles HD content as well. You need to have HDCP authorized hardware to play the full resolution HD content.

It just pisses me off that they've only released an HDMI cable for the Elite right now. It should have been released a long time ago, for the regular 360.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah that sounds more like an issue with the tv then with the console. Have you played with all the settings in the consoles system tabs?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not an issue with the TV!
    A lot of newer sets do not support the sync on green, as a form of copyright protection. MS dropped the ball. From the get go, they should have just released an HDMI cable. It's a 1080p all-digital signal got christ's sake. Give it an all-digital cable.

And yes, I've muffled with the console and TV settings. It's just not supported. I just use component and run it at 1080i for now. They're supposedly releasing HDMI for the regular 360. So that will be a happy day for me.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It is an issue with the TV, Vassago. A lot of newer Sony sets place that limitation on their screens. Most non-Sony brands don't hamstring their televisions that way. VGA input isn't supposed to be limited at all, because its usually used by computers. (which are capable of outputting any number of resolutions) And most screens don't place any limitations on the resolution that is accepted through VGA. Some Sony screens do, because Sony is so hot on pushing HDMI.

As to the VGA for the 360, I wouldn't have recommended it at first. However, one of the recent firmware updates for the 360 has corrected most of the problems with it, so its a viable option now. Especially seeing as most people have VGA capable computer screens, even if they don't have massive HD screens.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sync on green isn't a VGA "standard", it's an option. One that Sony chose not to use. Microsoft should have released an HDMI cable to provide the full resolution to those that had TV's without that setting. These TV's were out well over 6 months prior to the 1080p update, so they certainly would have known about it. And now after the fact (like 7 months now), they're finally going to be releasing HDMI for us. Just saying, it was a very poor decision on MS's part. And it's pissed off thousands of users.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, sync on green is a throw-back to the days of BNC connectors and completely seperated signals. It's kind of a predecessor to the slightly more modern component standard. (where the horizontal and vertical sync signals are transmitted on the same cables as two of the color channels) As far as I know, it's only real use is to allow for interlaced signals to be transmitted over VGA cables. Which wouldn't limit a VGA cable to handle 1080p input, just 1080i. And providing HDMI cables? HDMI is a standard originally developed by Sony. That's like saying Microsoft absolutely should have included a Blu-Ray drive in the 360. Yes, it would have been nice. But it would also have directly benefited their competitor. That's not good business.

Providing a VGA cable makes high-end graphics available to anyone with a PC screen. A much better choice for pushing high-def graphics quickly and affordably. Give them a taste with the hardware they have, rather than push them to purchase much more expensive TVs. HDMI is usually available on high-end HiDef screens, and is only considered a standard feature on Sony screens. I'm sorry, I just can't fault them for this decision. It seems perfectly reasonable to me. HDMI wasn't important than, and it isn't important now.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    So I have been plugging my 360 into my 2405FPW monitor and it looks GREAT with analog. However, I can tell that the edges of everything are pretty jagged and can really benefit from some AA.

Anyone know if a VGA cable could help this? Anyone have any experience with analog vs VGA?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard, HDMI has been standard on nearly all plasma, LCD and DLP/SXRD sets since before the 360 launched. How can you say that it's helping the competition? Sure, it's a Sony developed tech. But if nearly all HDTV's have it, why the hell not use it?
    I mean, it's pretty simple. Every single 1080p capable set supports 1080p via HDMI. Only about 70% of 1080p sets support 1080p via VGA. So MS chose to alienate 30% of their customers. That's pretty much bs if you ask me.

Striff, I have the 360 plugged into my benQ FP202W right now. The 360 doesn't support most 16x10 resolutions though. So I have to run it at 1280x1024 on a 1680x1050 native screen. It looks okay, but certainly not great. Lots of ailising. frown.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i play my 360 on a 19" widescreen gateway lcd at 720p. It looks amazing. I don't notice anything that looks bad.

I'm using the vga input as well.

No problems here.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can use the VGA on my TV - just not for true HD resolutions. The highest I can set it is 1366x768.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HDMI is just hype, few years ago the cables cost like $100+ the picture quality is not really improved with it. You could send same quality picture over ethernet cable just fine.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it's like this Vassago. 1080i qualifies as a High-Defintion resolution, yes? And 1080i capable screens have actually been out for quite some time. HDMI only started use two or three years ago, and still isn't being used in all HD TV models. So there are millions and millions of HD screens in people's homes that don't support HDMI. Those people already have HD screens, they aren't going to want to rush out and buy a brand new screen. Microsoft caters to the existing HD owners by providing component cables right in the box. And VGA has been included in HD screens long before HDMI was.

Microsoft made its decision based on HD screen owners that already existed, rather than on HD owners in the future. From a sales and marketing perspective, this was a good decision. It wasn't a forward-thinking decision. But then Sony is showing us how forward-thinking decisions turn out in an active market. It's not always wise to cater to the cutting edge.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a cable, Richard. It's not like they're reinventing the wheel here. They've even included it on the 360 Elite, while leaving existing owners high and dry.

Look at it this way, "1080p" was one of the biggest sales words pushed around by MS when they released the HD-DVD add-on last year. I bought my TV shortly before then, thinking I was going to be ready for it. It said 1080p was going to be supported via VGA. I thought "cool, I got that". But there was NO MENTION of this synch on green issue, or what sets were compatible with it. It wasn't until well after I bought the HD-DVD player, that MS issued a statement on the matter.

On the Xbox forums, there was a list of the top 100 HD sets sold in the US. At least 35-40 of them were NOT compatible with 1080p over VGA. Yet low and behold, it was supported over HDMI. These were sets that have been out for over 2 years. That's a 35-40% margin. A majority owned the sets that DID work, but STILL - it's a complete ass move. They were already developing the cable for the elite model - yet they never gave one to those of us that needed it.

And their solution was to release a whole new console that had HDMI? That completely alienates those of us who bought the consoles prior to that. I'm not spending $400 when a $20 cable could fix it.

Seriously now, can you not understand why people are pissed?
    We need HDMI, they say no. Then they release a new console that has HDMI. We ask for HDMI again, they say no. So people buy the new console for HDMI. And now, they're saying "yes", they'll sell original 360 owners a HDMI cable. So people have been rejected multiple times, ripped off, chains pulled. "Smart" move by Microsoft? I think it's completely retarded.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my sony telly does 1080p on the 360 just fine through the vga cable.

it does crash though, a lot.

I'm guessing it's just your telly. did you try running a pc at a high rez though vga on it?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm guessing it's just your telly. did you try running a pc at a high rez though vga on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

360 doesn't support 1680x1050 - so I can only run it at 1280x1024. On my TV, it will run at 1366x768 on VGA.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how about a pc?

anything, to varify that your TV can handle more than 720p through the vga port?

my 360 goes up to 1920
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When hooking up my PC to the TV, I'm given the same options. It will go up to 1366x768. I can set it to 1920x1080 on VGA, but the screen turns black and flickers with noise. Same thing with 1080p over component. 1080i works fine over component though.

Works:
    - 1080i component
    - 720p component
    - 720p VGA (doesn't display full screen though)
    - 1366x768 VGA

Doesn't work:
    - 1080i VGA
    - 1080p VGA
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was reading some reviews of the TV and some guy is banging on about running his 360 @ 1080i saying it looks superb.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the more you describe your problem, Vassago, the more your screen sounds like a lemon. I've heard of screens that don't handle progressive scan well at higher resolutions. But your screen should be new enough not to be having such issues. And I can't imagine any screen that handles 720p fine taking issue with 1080p. (normally 720p has been the problem resolution, a lot of older screens don't even support it)

Honestly, I don't know why both Microsoft and Sony haven't released DVI cables for their systems. DVI has all the digital goodness of HDMI, while having all the PC-compatible benefits of VGA. DVI is an ideal compromise between the two cabling standards. And there are even a lot screens that support it already. (most screens capable of accepting a digital signal come with DVI ports standard)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using my 360 through the component video and it looks great. It's coming through at 1080i for some of the demos. I think Gears of War is 1080i also... I forgot to check. My TV doesn't have the VGA input, so I can't speak on the performance using that cable. I really do hope they eventually come up with an HDMI cable though. I'd prefer that over the components I'm using now.
    My next step is to get the optical cable so I can connect the system to my surround sound smile.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My TV isn't a lemon. It's stated right in the manual - "1080p" is not support via VGA - only HDMI. There was no mention of this from either the Sony camp (before I bought the TV. I compared different models for over 3 months) nor from Microsoft (before I bought the HD-DVD player). Microsoft should have released a list several weeks before the player was launched, stating what brands and models were compatible. Failure from them in doing that, is what has pissed me off.
    I can run 1080i via component with no problems. Just not 1080p. With 1080i, there's visual artifacts and screen tears, which doesn't happen with progressive. Not everyone's eyes can see them, but mine can. It's like setting a low refresh rate on a CRT monitor. There's a flickering that some people can see, and others can't.

I'm all up for a DVI input, though. That's maximum compatibility right there. My current PC monitor uses that as well.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago, you need to give up, man. The premium and core 360s won't output a digital video signal (you're never going to get an HDMI cable for them), and your TV wont accept a 1080p signal from the analog VGA connection. That's it, you're stuck. Get a new TV, get a 360 Elite, or move on.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's right, doc. But you're still missing the point. Microsoft ham-fistedly fucked people over. There is NO REASON why they couldn't have released a list of compatible TV's before the player launched.
    My model of TV came out like 10months beforehand. That's ample time to have tested. Sure, I'll probably end up trading it in for an Elite. But people keep arguing the fact that Microsoft screwed up. Which they DID. Had I of known my TV was not compatible with 1080p over VGA, I would not have bought the HD-DVD player. Get it? I got boned out of $200. THAT is why I'm pissed. Sheesh.
  • SuperOstrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperOstrich polycounter lvl 17
    Why didn't you return it? By "it" I mean the HD Drive.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought it online. They wouldn't accept a return unless it was unopened, or defective.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to sound like a dick but I don't think Microsoft has to release a list that says what tvs it will or will not work with. That is a little jacked to expect them to and then curse them out because somehow they have fucked people. The tv isn't made by microsoft and there are so many new tvs coming out all the time to keep a list up to date is a lot of work.

I don't know. I think we are just beating a dead horse. I am about to get a big screen as well. I've been shopping for months and I'm looking at a 64" Samsung DLP 1080p.

I don't give a damn about hdmi though. I'm not about to spend 480 on an elite right now. I would rather just pick up a ps3 and have both consoles in my house.

I agree that both camps should release dvi cables though. That would make sense.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no reson why your TV shouldt support 1080p over VGA, its most likely disabled on purpose. Sony just wants to force feed people their hdmi junk.
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    in my experience, VGA will not display true "reelease" colors. It's brighter and more "PC" like, but from a developers stand point, its way off.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ephesians, get the latest 360 update, set your reference levels to "expanded" and try again.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

I agree that both camps should release dvi cables though. That would make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

and miss out on the rights managed video?
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    ok, lets look at some quick "Facts"

1.) The xbox 360 was designed around Component video as this is what the majority of those with HDTV sets had.

2.) Component is a fine albeit analog signal.

The xbox 360 outputs Analog video. Its not like you can just release a cable for it (without doing some conversion voodoo which would degrade the picture.)

The elite console is the best thing Microsoft could do to remedy the situation, because you know they aren't going to accept 360s and replace the outputs.

Any DVI or HDMI cable for the original 360 is just going to upscale and convert to digital, thats not a real solution.