Home Technical Talk

CrazyBump Beta 3 is ready!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
Crazybump Beta 3 is now up for testing!

new features:

-"Normals Mixer" blends normal maps together in 3D. This creates a much better result than a 2D blend in photoshop.

-Savable presets.

-Improved preview window.

-Preferences save correctly.

Grab the new beta from www.crazybump.com/beta/download.html

cheers,

-Ryan

Replies

• CopperHaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're the MAN!
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    sweet thx ryan! I've been using crazybump alot recently, your app is extremely useful laugh.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    thx a bunch man !!! you rock smile.gif
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    damn, you da real guy, Ryan.
    beer!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey hey hey, hot sweet sex in my pants, w00t new features!!!!
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

-Savable presets.

[/ QUOTE ]
    thumbup.gif
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    big thx, ryan! i seriously love working with this tool
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    any chance in a future build its possible to have a mask in the alpha - thats used to blend a second normal map? (It would be in the alpha of the additional normal map)
    smile.gif

Great work on this so far, when do you start charging for it?? laugh.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Nice, I used it since the earlier beta versions and it's been helping me a long ways now.
  • Ben Cloward
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Cloward polycounter lvl 18
    Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Way to go Ryan! Thanks for the new features.

-Ben
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Any idea yet what you're going to charge for the finished product?
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Free for non-commercial use I hope!
  • solvalou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solvalou polycounter lvl 17
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Checkitout, y'all. Beta 3.1 has automation, pasting into the normals mixer, and loading of .dds files. (no saving yet)

www.crazybump.com/beta/download.html
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    If Ryan and Jogshy were able to make babies....wow.

Awesome stuff regardless Ryan smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    really enjoyed checking out crazybump lately man, good stuff! would love to see loadable custom models wink.gif its a bit hard to judge values for bump values etc just seeing the unwrap of it and for me it would mean changing a back and forward process into a straight through process if that makes sense
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Feck if you could load your own model and texture layers...

...Anyone else just get a boner?
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Boner was yes. Then I added some veigns using this sweet new mixing feature. This tool keeps getting better and better, I love you Ryan.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Everyone at school loves it too. Since theres so few girls here, probably a room full of boners.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Still liking it
  • damageINC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can this also be used for 32 bit displacements?
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Version 3.1 only outputs an 8 bit heightmap. I need to fix that. I'll let you know when it's fixed!
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Just downloaded this and tried it out. The normal mixing is amazing and is going to save our guys hours of work. And being able to work from the clipboard is great. Just awesome.

Now, for the wish list. smile.gif

1) Convert a greyscale image to a normal map on the fly when you want to blend multiple normal maps. Here's the real-world example: I want to add some scratches to the normal map for a weapon or something, so I quickly paint some black scratch marks on a white background. What I'd like to be able to do is just copy that greyscale image and paste it as a new normal map layer in CB. But as it stands right now, I have to convert it to a normal map first in a second instance of CB, copy to clipboard, and then paste. It would save a step if new maps were converted to normal maps when added. Maybe it could be another option, "Convert And Paste", or "Open And Convert".

2) Adjust the strength of the base map when mixing. There are times I might want to actually reduce the strength of the bottom, or zero, map and leave the new layer at 100. This would just mean I wouldn't have to be as concerned about what order I worked with the maps, and would let me really tweak all the layers to get exactly what I want.

3) Create a fake AO map from the normals. I've seen a lot of talk around here about how to make a quick and dirty ambient occlusion map from a normal map. This could be a cool little addition to the "Render Shadows and Displacement..." option.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Okay, one more that I just thought of...

4) Mixing normal maps is so huge that it would be cool to be able to save the layered file you're working on. Some sort of layered CB format file that I could open any time, that would retain pointers to the original bitmap files. That way I could rework any of them without having to re-mix them all again. You'd have to find some way to handle files pasted from the clipboard, maybe save them out as new files, or embed them in the CB file. The ability to point to new files in a layer, or paste a new file into a layer would be cool to.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, man. I'll be checking some of this out when I get back to work. Should help save LOADS of time. ^_^
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    CrazyBump 3.1 crashes on Startup for me with a "Memory could not be read" Error.
    Even installing the 1.1 .Net Runtime again ( had 1 and 2 installed before ) doesn't seem to help. frown.gif
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Rebb,

Could you take a look at this 3D demo?
    If the demo has a similar error, that'll narrow it down to a video problem:

http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/articles/extras/article20/bump_mapping.zip

thanks very much,

-Ryan
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    That demo works fine. I'm using a GF6800 and DX9c from April i believe, if that's any help smile.gif.
    The PictureViewer starts fine btw.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for running those tests. Sounds like it's not a video problem.

Could you tell me what OS you're running? I've had reports of similar behavior in 64-bit operating systems.

Also, would you mind running versioncheck, and sending me the output?

http://www.tmgdevelopment.co.uk/versioncheck.zip

Thanks very much,

-Ryan
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    I'm Running Windows XP ( 32 Bit ) with SP2.
    The VersionCheck Output has been mailed. I wonder if it's caused by some weird stuff i disabled in past "must.. optimize.. system.." endeavours laugh.gif.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE: It seems the .net framework isn't the problem either. Has anyone else seen a crash like this?
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Dual core optimisation error perhaps?
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    any chance in a future build its possible to have a mask in the alpha - thats used to blend a second normal map?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea, SpaceMonkey.

Alpha channel isn't supported in the current version, but you can do a simple mask. Flat blue (127,127,255) pixels don't affect other layers, so just paint flat blue over the area you want to mask out. Black or white pixels will also work as a mask, but flat blue is better since it can blend smoothly into your normal map.

I'm hesitant to read the alpha channel as a mask because people use normalmap alpha channels for different things. I often see heightmaps stored in them, for example. Using the alpha channel as a mask would cause unexpected behaviour for many artists.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Now, for the wish list. smile.gif

1) Convert a greyscale image to a normal map on the fly when you want to blend multiple normal maps. Here's the real-world example: I want to add some scratches to the normal map for a weapon or something, so I quickly paint some black scratch marks on a white background. What I'd like to be able to do is just copy that greyscale image and paste it as a new normal map layer in CB. But as it stands right now, I have to convert it to a normal map first in a second instance of CB, copy to clipboard, and then paste. It would save a step if new maps were converted to normal maps when added. Maybe it could be another option, "Convert And Paste", or "Open And Convert".

2) Adjust the strength of the base map when mixing. There are times I might want to actually reduce the strength of the bottom, or zero, map and leave the new layer at 100. This would just mean I wouldn't have to be as concerned about what order I worked with the maps, and would let me really tweak all the layers to get exactly what I want.

3) Create a fake AO map from the normals. I've seen a lot of talk around here about how to make a quick and dirty ambient occlusion map from a normal map. This could be a cool little addition to the "Render Shadows and Displacement..." option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with you on this FatAssasin these features would be SO helpful:)

Specifically, 1 and 3.

Thanks again!
    B
  • damageINC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just wondering, can I use CrazyBump to get rid of seams between different subsections of my uv's? For instance, if I broke the arms and legs of a model away from the torso in my uv set (it's all still one object, of course). If so, how?
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure CrazyBump is the right tool for that problem...

Just so we're on the same page, are these seams in the texture, or in the model? If you cover your model with a flat normal map (127,127,255), do the seams disappear?

I'm not the expert on seams, but this board is definitely the right place to ask. I suggest searching for posts on the subject, or posting a new topic to ask polycounters for advice.

cheers,

-Ryan