Home General Discussion

Naming my soon to be son

spider2cool
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
I am going to have a boy in August. We have been struggling with names for a while now. we have narrowed the the pages of baby names on the internet and found a few we kindof agree on. I need an honest opinion if these were your choices what would you name your son. His middle name will be Angel and his last name is Diaz.

edit: i spelled Khi wrong...its Kai....oops

PS after reading some comments i guess i should mention my initials are M.A.D. ^^

Replies

• animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    M.A.D = awesome.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    if you're set on Angel as a middle name, Miles is the only one that has a decent ring to it overall. Hunter Angel, Khi Angel, Xavior Angel all sound a bit awkward... no, you won't be calling them by their full names all that often, but putting together a good name is an art smile.gif
    Miles is also a good choice because you ought to be wary of inflicting an unusual name on a child. I do actually know a child named Xavier, but that's because the family is very Catholic. don't go for a name because it "sounds cool," go for something meaningful.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Betti or Cintiah is my choice
    or Magdalena laugh.gif
    name him "[spider2cooljr]MegaDestroyer4402"
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    If the middle name is Angel, then fitting first names would be:

Nicholas
    Archie
    Charlie
    Hal

(please forgive me)
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    if you're set on Angel as a middle name, Miles is the only one that has a decent ring to it overall. Hunter Angel, Khi Angel, Xavior Angel all sound a bit awkward...

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm wondering if it's the Spanish pronunciation of Angel (sounds like "on-hell") or the English pronunciation. If it's the Spanish pronunciation, I think "Hunter Angel" sounds kind of cool.
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    What is the nationality of you and your wife? I'd hate to be named that sounds cool but is not of my nationality. Italian names sound cool anyways so i'm lucky smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Khi is a peculiar name. Wheres it originate from?

I agree very much with what Gauss said. You don't want your kid being bullied at school for having a funny name. I'd recommend Miles if you're sticking hard to your list, and I'd also suggest going for the simplest spelling or he'll spend his entire life correcting people.
  • xxbrightliesxx
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Miles is cool.

My boy is going to be named Cloud Strife Mitchell.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    On a slightly related note, we named our first son after the main character from the movie The Professional(Leon).

Second kid was named after a friend I ran into who I hadn't seen in a long time, and we happened to like the name. We figured it was a sign, heh.

Naming your kids is fun!
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    i recommend:

Roland
    Mordrid
    Blaine

or Robotron
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Should just name you're kid Vitaliy, so everyone will think he's totally 1337 at teh norm4l mapz so he can ride on V's tailcoat and scam all the hawt ladyeez.

But seriously, Miles is probably the one to go for from your selection. Sweet initials too.

-caseyjones
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Thagus ? Samwise ? Harley ?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I once read someone wanted to name their child Xavior but they decided against it because of pronunciation.

EX-AIV-YA or ZAV-EE-AI

I'd stick to a normal name. Miles seems the normalist.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Joshua. Bestest name EVA! wink.gif

(i voted for miles, btw)
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    oh, if serious Askhat is good name, dude
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Angel Hunter.

Fuck that, thats going to be my kid's name. Go with Miles.
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Miles, the rest will result in other kids taking the piss constantly when he's at school.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Please not Hunter. I could probably throw a rock and have it bounce of 6 little Hunters in my neighborhood. WAY trendy.

Also, Khi is actually "Kai"? That's cool. Is Xavior "Xavier". Not sure if you meant to do this but improperly spelling a first name really sucks for kids a lot of times.

There was a kid that I knew whose name was supposed to be Antoine (pronounced with the french accent and all) but his mom was borderline illeterate, and instead nambe him "Antjuan." Yes, that would be adding "Ant" to the classic spanish version of John which is "Juan."

Classy.

With the middle and last name set, I'd try to avoid bad initials combinations, such as Stephen Angel Diaz (SAD). But if you named him after me (Ryan), that would be really RAD.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Seven

or

Soda

(Let's see how many Seinfeld fans we have out there laugh.gif)
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    Miles, from Sonic Two, Tails Miles m i rite
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I refuse to vote because seriously NO BS?
    My honest opinion (and thank god this is Polycount) is the following:
    Miles sounds ok, but you got to be out of your mind concerning the rest of them AND the "Angel" middle name!
    Seriously what boy/man wants to be named Angel???

And the other names? Hunter and Khi aren't even names, and XaviOr sound like it is taken right out of a comic book (the villian).
    XaviEr would be ok, but still not really a name a kid would like during his school time (it's a fine name as an adult though).

Sorry for the harsh words, but did you even consider for a second what 1. A kid would have to endure during school with such names and 2. How incredibly stupid someone named Khi would sound as an adult?

I really hope this was an wake-up call and you reconsider your choice of names (for the childs sake)!

Edit: Kai (which means floor of a building in Japanese btw) is a quite often used name in Germany. But it is pronounced a lot different from what I would imagine it is in English, and I can't really comment on it's use as an English name. My initial impression would be that it would sound like a abreviated "OK", right? Than that would probably not work very well as a name either.
  • spider2cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    well Angel is a universal name...it does not mean boy or girl. I am passing on my grandfather's middle name...that is the reason for Angel which i am very proud of.

as for Kai...did not know that...thanx for that save, jkmakowka

My bad....i did spell Xavier wrong...lol

This is a process...these names are not set in stone.

and how exactly do you pronounce "Askhat"
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Hunter is so over used. frown.gif Miles isn't bad. smile.gif

Ott: Hahahaha but its mickeys number!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People actually call their kids "Hunter"? I assumed Spider was being edgy and unusual.

...You could always call him Spider
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, little manly warrior names is all the trend right now. I've got an aquaintance that has a Hunter, a Cannon, and an Archer. I considered naming my kid H-Bomb just to one up him.

Another annoying trend is the last name as first name thing. I can't tell you how many little Madisons, Jordans, Jacksons, etc. I see running around right now. In addition, many of those names seem to be of the ______son variety.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    i knew a family who named all there boy children Hunter, Gunner, and Cannon... Its popular here in the south i guess. All of these names still sound a little strange to me.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Give him a nice, classic name. James, Charles etc
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Miles is the only one of that list I'd possibly consider. Hunter is a horrible name, I don't get how that became a person's name.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cannon? What the hell? That isn't a name!
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    or you could name him after brad pitt and hope he'll grow up to look like hercules :P
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Cannon is such a spaz name... It's on par with mine (Emil).

-caseyjones
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    wow. You guys are a bunch of prudes.

Have some fun with it. I'd love to have a name like Labtec or Avenging Lakewood Spiderglass.

Kids get made fun of regardless of their name.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I wanted to use the name "Atari" if my wife and I ever have a girl, but she vetoed that one as soon as it came out of my mouth.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Another annoying trend is the last name as first name thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think that's bad, I found my last name in a baby name book as a girl's name. In case you're wondering, it's pronounced Mee-see, no idea why we started pronouncing it like that, maybe to sound less german during WWI.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    wow. You guys are a bunch of prudes.

Have some fun with it. I'd love to have a name like Labtec or Avenging Lakewood Spiderglass.

Kids get made fun of regardless of their name.

[/ QUOTE ]

With such a name for sure!
    I have seen my fare share of this crap that goes on between kids, and it really ain't pretty (personally to a lesser extent, as my name is obscure but hard to make fun of).
    Everyone who underestimates this clearly was never affected (and probably was one of those making fun of others during school)!
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure my son will never have any problems with that. I mean, how could Loki Zin Greene be seen as different?
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha..yeah. Being picked on and singled out because of your name isn't a pleasant experience.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    pfft. I had my fair share of japes at my name.

I'm just saying, I think not naming your kid something you otherwise like out of fear and bad memories of your own childhood is bad. Name them something you personally love and think is beautiful. To hell with what other people may or may not think.

If you really want to make his life easier, don't ever make him get a perm.

But whatever. Let the world be overrun by Johns. No matter to me and whatever horrible thing I end up labeling my offspring.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But the trick is to not name him something embarassing. There are plenty of beautiful names that sound good, so you don't have to rely on Johns, James or Bob smile.gif