Home General Discussion

"The Secret"

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
steady polycounter lvl 18
I was reading my favorite money advice blog ( http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/) and there was a review about this new book called "The Secret":

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2007/05/06/there-is-no-secret-the-myth-of-the-law-of-attraction/

I didn't read it but read the synopsis from this guy's review, and it is something I have thought about before. Pretty much, the secret is if you think about something enough it will happen and become reality. There have been times when I think this has worked such as getting with a chick in class or at work, but that can just be the fact that if you try, sometimes you will succeed. I agree with the reviewer that it is ridiculous that people getting killed such as the holocaust happened because they willed it. Any thoughts on this subject? Pretty interesting... I think we had a thread before about the human mind making connections with things naturally.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    If you're thinking "I'm going to ask that girl out and she's going to say yes because I'm a macho hunk of man-meat" you're probably going to be more confident and that will help your chances... there aren't any magic brain waves shooting out and molding reality.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Ugh... not this crap again. I say it's nothing but new age, pseudo-science bullshit. They take legitimate science like quantum physics or the placebo effect, and then they manipulate it to justify their shallow, self-serving philosophy. What they do is take real correlations, and then make huge leaps in logic to claim that the universe is somehow receptive to your thoughts and feelings, and that good thoughts literally attract good experiences (and conversely, negative thoughts attract bad experiences... if only you'd stop worrying about those bills you wouldn't have financial troubles). It's like a lame self-help book on steroids.

The reason people buy into it is because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you think you can control the universe with your mind, then anything positive that happens to you is going to be attributed to that, which therefore must prove that you can control the universe with your mind. It's circular logic, and it kind of falls apart when you live in a third-world nation with no money and no food... yeah, I guess "the secret" only works if you live in a rich first-world nation with every opportunity available to you.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Any thoughts on this subject? Pretty interesting...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's that interesting, I think it's a well-marketed delusion.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I'd go so far as to say that I think it's potentially dangerous.

I was in Connecticut last weekend visiting the girlfriends folks and I met a friend of hers that was recommending 'The Secret' to us. Nice enough guy, and he seemed fairly intelligent, but he'd swallowed this stuff hook, line and sinker. He admitted that was in debt to the tune of about 25 grand and had poor credit, but 'The Secret' had just convinced him that his financial problems somehow wouldn't be real if he simply didn't allow them to be, and he'd just gone out and bought a new car entirely on some exceptionally dodgy credit.

I wonder If you just will debt collectors and the IRS to not exist then eventually they just go away?
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    can someone will me out of taxes ?

mindtrickuc4.jpg
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    I think Oprah recently backtracked on The Secret cause some woman told her she was going to stop seeking medical treatment for her breast cancer and use her mind to heal herself.

I'm all for positive thinking but if thoughts became reality some weird shit would be going on in the world from my mind alone. smile.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'd go so far as to say that I think it's potentially dangerous

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    oh geez... stop spending all your damn money on coffee and fast food. Invest in your 401k stop leasing your car. and for GOD sakes, stop renting if you can... ugh! Its the common sense things that get people to this day. frown.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    this was pretty hilariously skewered over at the AV Club, courtesy of the Hater:

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/59741
    http://www.avclub.com/content/hater/the_secret_challenge_part_two

[ QUOTE ]

For the uninitiated (read: normal), allow me to explain. The Secret is a wildly popular book and DVD that basically says the universe is ruled by the law of attraction. Therefore, if you think about good things, those things will be drawn to you like flies to a pile of manure (or a book and DVD filled with manure that Oprah will spend two hours talking about). There's also some stuff about vibrations and magnets and money.

[/ QUOTE ]

so yes, new age horseshit. potentially dangerous new age horseshit to boot.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the link gauss. There was a rather brilliant article on the evil incarnate that is Oprah linked from there. Well worth a read: http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2007/03/05/the_secret/index.html
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    the dominance of mind of matter is self evident, and is the biggest contradictory of western science and the rational thinking dogma adopted for granted in western society. if this thread was in the far east, you'd be irritating what the Chinese have realized some 600 years ago. so if you wonna go argue with them, go ahead, but i don't think any of you should be so quick to dismiss this as some new-age horseshit before you put it to test for yourself.

"coincident is what you have left-over when you apply a bad theory"
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the dominance of mind of matter is self evident

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by this? Your mind controls your body, that's about it. In that sense, mind over matter works.
    You can't make things entirely unconnected to you change just by thinking about it. I can't lift a rock in the Himalayas from my office chair any more than I can make the electricity company stop sending me bills for the electricity I'm using just by thinking about it.

What Justin Meisse said is entirely correct. Positive thinking can aid in certain endeavours related to your self, just as negative thinking can be harmful to steps you might want to take.
    But just thinking really positively about wanting a new car or a girlfriend or something isn't going to magically make one appear, and if by some freak occurence it actually does happen, it wasn't because you were thinking about it hard. It might have happened anyway even if you weren't thinking about it, and you wouldn't have anything to ascribe it to.

This book is a load of nonsense.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    shotgun:
    there's religion, there's mysticism, there's positive thinking, all of which i subscribe to in varying degrees, and then there is this.
    there's a great deal of profound mysticism and spiritual thought man has cultivated through most every major civilization from the birth of humanity, and then there is this.
    this is a designed-to-sell-book and dvd. a half-baked amalgam of recycled truisms and self-help pabulum.
    there may be kernels of truth buried somewhere in the horseshit, just as seeds pass through the digestive system of animals, but i'm still not going to eat it.

i understand that you're a person who rejects the reductive, scientistic thinking that is so prevalent these days, but this isn't in support of an opposing viewpoint. if anything, it's a insulting parody of mystical spirituality spawned by some awfully profit-minded self-help gurus of our delightfully capitalist western culture.

and please, don't invoke some romantic appraisal of "the far east" in defense of this. mysticism and enlightenment have always been hard work and always will be, whichever tradition you study.
    a concentrated blast of thought-beams won't get you through mysteries and tragedies of life, and it won't get you that shiny new Nissan X-Terra, either.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    We could always put it to the test. Get the whole of Polycount thinking about some thing or another and see if it comes to pass.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    HOLY SNAP! Have you guys checked the front page? The model database is BACK!!!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    ahahahahhahaaha
    if it was just up to thinking on it, the model database would be twice its original size, and we'd all still be playing Q1-Q3 every single day, all solely because of CheapAlert's thought-beams. laugh.gif
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Justin, I'm sending a big fat 'fux y00' over your way. I actually typed half the URL before the joke hit me.

It's early, ok?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    The great thing about thinking this is just nonsense is that it either is, or it isn't, but it becomes nonsense because our collective thought that it doesn't make sense makes it so. So you're always right if you think it's just a means to rob people smile.gif
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    If I'm thinking about winning a hundred million bucks in the lottery, it still probably isn't going to happen. If I'm thinking about spanking the monkey, well then, I've got a pretty good shot of that happening.

When I hear this concept, I think "No shit." If you want anything to happen except maybe breath, shit and sleep, you pretty much have to think about it. Thought precedes action for most of us who've made it past our teens. If I want dinner, I need to think about it, which prompts me to make it, which allows me to eat it. Big friggin revelation there.

But as others have stated, this only applies to aspects of your life that you have some control over. I can't sit there and will a meteorite to land in my backyard for entertainment's sake.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    you'd be irritating what the Chinese have realized some 600 years ago. so if you wonna go argue with them, go ahead

[/ QUOTE ]
    What is the thing that Chinese have realized 600 years ago that has anything to do with the Secret? I can't think of any... can you elaborate?

What I can say about Asian culture is that, we have bhudism thought in many of our believes. And the most important part is that "every karma has its cause", basicly, "you get what you do". Kinda opposite of The Secret actually. You want something, you work for it. You don't work, you get nothing.

And because that's the hard way of getting things... no doubt people choose to believe the easy way, like the Secret.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I did not read the book myself but from what I heard and read about it the idea sounds like Santa Claus for the grown up. The secret gives you presents if you want them enough and nicely. Does it have an explanation for the times when you don't think about anything good and something good happens btw?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    my mom bought me the movie and I watched that, didn't read the book.

I have to agree with daz, I think that it could be potentially dangerous if people take it too seriously.. but it has very good ideas in there in general.. if more people thought positive we wouldn't be living with crazy people that do stupid shit to hurt others.. but theres always consequences and shit.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "I'm a driver, I'm a winner, things are gonna change I can feel it"
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    "Soy un perdedor!"
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    you need to stop reading that shit. Give me a call sometime next week, we'll go downtown and find you some drunk women.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.stuartdavis.com/node/1138

i think stu here sums it up pretty well. i think there's some truth in the secret but unfortunately there's lots of pre-rational bullshit that goes along with it.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you get sick, it's kind of your fault for putting your negative thoughts out in the universe. The good news is that you can heal yourself with your thoughts too! Also, you can think an elephant into existence—although there will be a time delay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, nice links Gauss.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    you'd be irritating what the Chinese have realized some 600 years ago. so if you wonna go argue with them, go ahead

[/ QUOTE ]
    What is the thing that Chinese have realized 600 years ago that has anything to do with the Secret? I can't think of any... can you elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm...I could see a vague similarity to Taoism. The idea that there's a 'way' and if you can tune into it you can steer yourself down the river a little more skillfully than others--though you can never go against the current. BUT, that's a pretty vague connection to this 'Secret'.

The 'Secret' is just telling people what they want to hear: You don't have to work, you just have to want it...and if you don't get it, you didn't want it enough.

Personally, I prescribe to the 1%inspiration, 99% perspiration model.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I've never seen or read the secret, but it seems natural to me that if you're trying to will something to work you'd be working on it too. If it teaches you to really just be complacent but *imagine* yourself as productive, yeah, it sounds pretty stupid. Not my place to judge others' faith, though, I guess.
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey this sound familiar to what einstein and Bill Hicks said.

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Bill Hicks.

Einstein said E = MC2 Mass = Energy.

Does it make sense?
    I'm trying to understand but I don't

Here are my questions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToLI7WHObhE

sound give form to energy? turning it into matter.

So thoughs are energy? but on a different frequency so it cannot manifest itself into a fysical mass.

If energy travels coming back is into fysical form would it be called Karma?

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    sound give form to energy? turning it into matter.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm no physicist, but that sounds completely wrong for a start. If my limited knowledge is accurate, sound is a form of energy thats on a wavelength that vibrates the eardrum in such a fashion as to be perceived as sound.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Einstein said E = MC^2 Mass = Energy.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your problem right there. Mass does not equal energy. There is a relation, hence the equation E = MC^2. If mass equalled energy, the equation would be E = M, which doesn't make any sense at all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass-energy_equivalence
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    What Einstein said was that when something moves, its velocity increases its mass. This results in requirement of a greater energy to accelerate a moving body than the energy required to accelerate it the same amount when it had a smaller velocity. At least that's what I understood after reading The Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking(Interesting book with valuable information unlike this Secret thing!)

What I see in that video is that salt grains generate patterns with the changing frequency of the sound. Sound is energy, it can move(vibrate) particles by being absorbed by them. And there's always the possibility that they are not salt grains but metal particles which lie in a place where changing patterns of magnetic fields are present as no proper explanation is provided.

I have nothing to say about what Bill Hicks said other than that I know that people see and feel many untrue things while on drugs. I know this does not mean everything they experience is unreal but...
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    The Bill Hicks quote is part of a joke and not really meant to be taken too seriously. It was part of his stand-up routine (it's also sampled at the beginning of the song "Third Eye" by Tool). I wrote out the rest of the joke below:

[ QUOTE ]
    Why do you only hear negative stories about drugs on the news? It's the same story everytime, we've all heard it: "A young man on LSD thought he could fly. He jumped off a building. What a tradgey." What a dick, fuck him. He's an idiot, if he thought he could fly, why didn't he take off from the ground first? You don't see ducks lining up in an elevator to migrate south for the winter... they take off from the ground you moron.

How about a positive LSD story for once, wouldn't that be newsworthy? "Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... here's Tom with the weather"

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    I would say that quote from Bill Hicks is really more part of a rant, than a joke...its just a rant thats also funny, but it also makes a very good point. That the news shapes peoples perception of things, and that in particular people are fed alot of crap in support of the "war on drugs." If you do nothing but tell people that eating a tuna sandwich is going to cause them to vomit and shit themselves, you're not lying to them, as people do occassionally get sick from eating things. However you're just giving them a slice of the truth and allowing them to assume since its the only one they hear, it's the only one out there. So people with no real personal experience to tell them otherwise are going to assume its the truth and avoid tuna sandwiches. Its even better if you can catch a generation as children (cough*DARE*cough)Then you too can push your puritanical agenda as a moral issue , all the while accepting donations from pharmacuetical, alcohol, and tobacco companies for your continued support. There is alot of positive information out there regarding LSD, and psychedelic experiences (if you're interested check out the documentary Hofmann's Potion ) , but it gets verrry little press or media exposure. However the prohibition of even research just breeds misinformation and nonsense. Instead of an informed debate about the dangers and possible benefits of something, you have a story that one of your friends heard from someone else, who saw it on TV. You've effectivly replaced real information with hearsay, folklore, and outright lies. Sorry to turn this thread into a drug policy discussion, but the bait was there....I couldn't resist.

for another Hicks quote, "Remember folks, its not a war on drugs....its a war on personal freedom...lets keep that in mind at all times"
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, some good points Cthogua, you reminded me of a morning show I saw a while ago. Anyone in Melbourne unfortunate enough to catch a few minutes of "Sunrise" in the morning might remember it.

Basically they interviewed a doctor who specialized in drug addiction and side effects of drugs, to preach about how terrible various non-government regulated drugs are. But every time they hit him with a "Doesn't this drug fry your brain?" question he'd debunk what they said and hit them with facts (assuming he wasn't just making shit up). He even suggested that some of the drugs they were talking about were no more harmful than alcohol when taken in equal dosages (which is a pretty ballsy move on a show as politically correct and sanitised as Sunrise). The interview ended pretty quickly and the very next day they had another doctor on who completely went along with all their drug demonology.

I'm not saying non-government regulated drugs are all good or all bad. I just found it hilarious to hear this guy rip the hosts arguements to shreds and that they literally replaced him with someone who agreed with everything they suggested.

[Getting a bit off topic I know, but we all agree "The Secret" is horseshit now right?]
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Well, I watched it some time ago and I think it has some good points! One of the things I found most amazing, is that there where 2 people healing from certain diseases without needing to be treated the usual way, just by imagining they where healthy. I'm not saying that we should all abandon our normal (scientificly proven) medicine, but this might be a very good way of enhancing the way they work (a little like placebo, but you should remain using the regular stuff too.. kinda like a bonus :P) After all, stress is one of the biggest causes of diseases like cancer and stuff like that, so by focussing on something positive (your health) i think you can undo the effects of your stress.
    And even if none of this works, some things are still very good to get you in a great mental condition, for instance being gratefull for all the things you have in your life in stead of wining about all the stuff that is bothering you.
    For myself I like using it to find good car parking spots. It always works when trying that :P
    (ok now I can expect some harsh comments on what i'm saying here :P)