Home General Discussion

Stormtroopers and Rank...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
HBO has been running SW episodes I - VI back to back so I was watching Episode III this evening. In the episode, one of the stormtroopers refers to another stormtrooper as "commander" which got me thinking ... if all of the stormtroopers are clones of Jengo Fett, as we saw in Ep. II, then, theoretically they would all be identical to each other and identical to Jengo. So, how would one clone rise above the rest and be promoted over them? It just seems to me that all clones would be created equal, so I don't see how one clone could possibly be qualified to give orders to another. Discuss...

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Very few clones are still alive to become stormtroopers, most of them were recruited in later. Issues with being cloned hastily lead to some kind of degeneration and early death for most of them. Dunno the specifics.

As for the clones, they came in several different varieties and levels of training. Commanders, commandos, and other unusual clone ranks had special training in leadership and problem solving, I think with ARCs or something.

The most profound example of more advanced clones are the ARCs (advanced recon commandos.) They have some degree of personality left in, and were trained personally by Jango fett. (fordo, the leader from the Clone Wars cartoon, is a good example of one)

Edit: Plus, different clones fought and lived on different planets, worked under different jedi, and saw different battles. They actually tended to pick up accents, so they didn't even all sound the same.

Edit2: Here, more than you'd ever want to know (if I didn't already cover that)
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Grand_army_of_the_republic
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_trooper
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Stormtrooper
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    dear AstroNerd,
    i know GD is full of nerdy discussions but you just nerded up the place about 400% more. i thought this forum was called General Discussion, not Nerdular Nerdings About Star Wars Continuity.
    why don't you just post a funny youtube video of you and your friends dressed as stormtroopers arguing about who gets to be commander, NERD?
    laugh.gif
    sorry, this is all just a violent reaction to being a horrible SW geek for many years and then having the prequels happen and just swearing off the whole damn thing.

also because i immediately started formulating a response to your question that was pretty much what suprore just said. sigh.

but go ahead with your star warsian dorkfestation, i'll just delete the thread in a few days with absolutely no warning just to ease the nerd-pain. laugh.gif
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_trooper

but to specifically answer your question:

"Many of these commanders were grown with more capacity for independent thought than their troops, and were sometimes known by names rather than numbers. They also received training from the ARC trooper Alpha-17. Notable clone commanders included Cody, Bly, Gree, Bacara, Appo, Neyo, Thire, Keller, and Salvo."

not all clones were made equal. wink.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alpha 17, by the way, was hardcore, and last seen being stolen by asaaj ventress. Which is signifigant because he had been captured by her along with Obi-wan on jabiim, and...

Yeah, sorry, I just wanted to prove that I could be even nerdier. Obviously, that was a poor choice of posts. laugh.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    dear AstroNerd,
    "stuff"

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I honestly don't see how I am the nerd since I actually needed to ask the question and did not know the answer. I think all the nerds that provided me with an answer are the big nerds here, nerd tongue.gif

You guys that took the time to answer the question are nerds, btw.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I like being a nerd...
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    oh my god the star wars wiki will now suck my life away from me, thank you very much guys. the nerve of the people in the transformers thread saying that transformers had more mythology
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, another question:

My wife was asking me how Lucas came up with the idea for SW, I remember hearing something about how he "borrowed" the idea from a Japanese book or movie or something. Anyone have the answer on this?
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hidden_Fortress

Lucaas said that HIdden Fortrees was his inspiration...Never seen it..Akira Kurosawa tends to make very visually interesting movies though
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

My wife was asking me how Lucas came up with the idea for SW, I remember hearing something about how he "borrowed" the idea from a Japanese book or movie or something. Anyone have the answer on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lucas has said repeatedly the idea for Star Wars came from classic pulp sci-fi serials. Kurosawa was a big inspiration to Lucas' filmaking in general, though, he's said, and the concept of A New Hope following the two droids was lifted directly from The Hidden Fortress.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    being a nerd actually got me layed once this year.

only once though.

and she was REALLY fucking stupid.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

the concept of A New Hope following the two droids was lifted directly from The Hidden Fortress.

[/ QUOTE ]

suprore's totally right about this. if you watch The Hidden Fortress, there are two droids that look suspiciously similar to C3P0 and R2D2. and let's not get started on Kurosawa's "jawarus".
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

suprore's totally right about this. if you watch The Hidden Fortress, there are two droids that look suspiciously similar to C3P0 and R2D2. and let's not get started on Kurosawa's "jawarus".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Lucas actually just babelfished most of Kurosawa's script and figured that nobody would notice.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

only once though.

and she was REALLY fucking stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir have made my morning. Thank you!
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    hahahaha, gauss...

hidden fortress had two villagers who periodically got themselves in trouble--their 'relationship' was similar to c3po's and r2d2s...either way, hidden fortress, while kinda cool, is not all that good of a movie compared to Kurosawa's other films.

Trivia bit (excuse the misspellings--my memory's foggy): kurosawa primarily worked in two genres: the Gendai-geki(or modern day drama) and the period-piece, called the Jedi-geki. I'm pretty certain that's where lucas pulled the term "jedi" from.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's "laid" not "layed" unless, of course, you are talking about eating a whole bunch of potato chips and then getting a blumpkin, in which case I apologize you fucking nerd.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    man and i thought i was a total geek.