Home General Discussion

A better windows explorer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
I've recently discovered a windows file manager that has officially replaced my windows explorer. I haven't seen a post about this, so I thought I'd bring it up. The program is called Xplorer2 and it displays a file tree, 2 window panes, and it has tabs that you create in each pane. If you're like me you'll have multiple explorer windows open at once so you can copy and move files around. This baby lets you do it all in one! HELL YEAH!! It also can display FTP servers in the folders. Oh yeah, you can also open scrap containers and throw files in there to copy or move to another folder.

The lite version is awesome and free. The pro version only costs $30 (worth it) and has a couple more features that I really dig (like saving tab layouts so you can reload them whenever you want). Anyway, you can check out a tour of the program in the following link:

http://zabkat.com/tour1.htm

That's also the site you can d/l the program from.

And Here's a quick overview of the program (including some hotkeys):

http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-to-live/replace-windows-explorer-with-xplorer2-258730.php

I'm also accustomed to using the windows key + E in order to open windows explorer. Since I like using Xplorer more, there's a program called autohotkey that basically lets you make any hotkey you want. Now win+E opens xplorer, plus I even set it up to recognize if xplorer is already running and if so then win+E will just bring the program forward smile.gif

I'm posting about this cool app because it's really increased my productivity. Just take the time to learn the program, customize it, and your ready to go!

Replies

• Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    Hey I just tried Xplorer, not bad, very clean UI. Can't figure out how to place new tabs yet.

I'm using Total Commander laugh.gif
    It works almost the same, 2 panel with tabs, this one you can have FTP in any panel/tab you want too. Almost same price, $34 for this one.
    wcmdbig.gif

http://www.ghisler.com/index.htm

The thing I like the most about this Total Commander is that you can browse and copy very easily with keyboard alone. Can be really fast once you get used to it. You can use mouse with it too of course.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, that Lifehacker article mentions a way to open folders with xplorer2, which'd be nice. If i remember correctly i had some trouble with autokeys, but maybe i should give that another go. If only MS fucking USED the button they shoehorned into every keyboard, for more than two or three options.

Also, i thought Directory Opus looked quite nice. I was holding off for the new version, but that's been released now.
    http://www.gpsoft.com.au
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's pretty cool, thanks for the link skrubbles.
    I don't like Total Commander much because it feels so Windows95 wink.gif
    MightyPea: If you wanna use the windows key for hotkeys, grab Clavier+. I use it a lot, I have all my favourite apps on Windows Key + Memorable Letter, so Win+C is crazybump etc. Saves me a lot of time. You can even bind keys to enter text strings, if there's something you find yourself typing a lot.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Directory Opus 9 is the shit! You will become addicted to it's awesomeness. It has so many actual USEFUL features it's not like 3dsmax 9 or Photoshop 11million at all.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    That total commander has to be one of the ugliest pieces of software I've ever seen (and I've tried blender).
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Two apps that work well together for organizing desktops.

All Snap Snaps windows like PS menus. Works with Max.

Win Roll Roll windows up with a right click.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    I believe you can make xplorer be the default program to open folders. I haven't done it, but I'm sure it involves editing the registry. Don't worry though, the manual for Xplorer is huge and goes over that as well... looks pretty simple. I'll have to take a look at Directory Opus, but I think I'll stick with xplorer for now (love this program).

Clavier looks WAY simpler then Autohotkey. But if you do use Autohotkey and would like it to function as I mentioned above for the win+E use this code:

#e::
    IfWinExist, xplore
    WinActivate xplore
    else
    Run, xplorer2
    Return

Another cool thing about autohotkey is that you can assign macros.

Win Roll would just clutter my desktop, I'd rather just minimize to my task bar. But I'm definitely checking out All Snap... looks useful to making everything fit perfectly.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    That total commander has to be one of the ugliest pieces of software I've ever seen (and I've tried blender).

[/ QUOTE ]

and how.

I may have to try one of these jaspers out, though. I have never even really bothered to replace Explorer or even consider it.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I use autohotkey as well. I like how it has some decent scripting abilities for organizing macros and even has UI scripts. Great for building simple tools.

There are some decent IDE's out there for ahk as well with highlighting. I use Scite a scintilla based editor.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles: the registry solution mentioned in the comments (first link up top) doesn't actually work, but setting the file options for folders and directories might. This is also mentioned in the article, and i might try it. I'll wait to see if it's easy to undo, though, as the last thing i need now is a windows re-install.
    Mop: thanks for the suggestion. I don't even remember my issue with autohotkey, but at one time it *did work well for me, and i'd done the same thing, although not for a whole lot of software.
    seriously though, how logical would it be for Microsoft to set win-F4 to close windows and win-home to my documents or something?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I used to use it when it was called Windows Commander and it rocked the crap out of winfile.exe >=(

And before that and windows I used XTree which was awesome
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    D: Why would looking good be a factor for a file copying application? They are utilities, their fuctional purpose is way more important than how they look.

We still use Telnet, that thing is just an ugly DOS prompt, but does it matter?
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Good link. Thanks skrubbles. =]