Home General Discussion

Interesting...soft drinks harmful to cells

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
[MILES] polycounter lvl 17
I guess we all know that soft drinks in large quantity can be negative to the body in many ways. But presented in this article is another finding that if proven to be accurate, opens up a whole new can of worms. While interesting, the part I found most fascinating is the fact that the Dr. doing the investigation is named Peter Piper...and apparently the additive in question is found in things 'pickled' as well as the soft drinks. So I suppose it is no longer "[If] Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.." but that he actually [did]. (har har). smile.gif

http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article2586652.ece

Replies

• sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I saw this earlier today. I quit drinking sodas a while ago actually, and I don't think I've been sick since then and I seem to have a lot more energy just from drinking more water.

Here is a wikipedia link to the chemical found in Mountain Dew, Gatorade, etc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brominated_vegetable_oil
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I drink three or four diet sodas a day and I feel fucking great! In fact, I think I'm going to go get one now, so tasty...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Thats right, things Brominated are evil.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    "Peter Piper picked a pack of (dr) Pepper."
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    My god I better stop drinking this coke right now....
    well maybe just another can...
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting. The chem in question is Sodium Benzoate.

That particular preservative has been in debate since the early 1800's.

In fact Heinz ketchup (and others) taste the way they do in part due to the process of avoiding that particular preservative.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup

The random things you come across that become useful at a random time.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sodium benzoate has already been the subject of concern about cancer because when mixed with the additive vitamin C in soft drinks, it causes benzene,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sprite + Lime juice = benzene! Mmmm yummy

No wonder Sonic limeades are so tasty. grin.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I stopped drinking soft drinks about 6 years ago, and have only been sick once. I find it impossible to gain weight. And my teeth are in great health even after I avoided a dentist for many years. No cavities.

I've been warning my friends and family for years about the ingredients in soft drinks and other products sold in America. This ingredient along with HFCS being the most talked about. I'm glad this is finally getting around the media.

Enjoy your cancer.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    you have good teeth because you avoided a dentist?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I stopped drinking soft drinks about 6 years ago, and have only been sick once. I find it impossible to gain weight. And my teeth are in great health for the fact I avoided a dentist for many years. No cavities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, how about that - cut out the soft drinks and you're the
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    per: yeah, I did drink too much of it. The real reason I stopped drinking was because I gave it up for lent one year and after that I just didn't have the urge to drink it anymore. I'm not a health freak in any way, I just don't really have the urge so I feel that it will be a good habit to kick in the long run.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    "Bloody hippies and their new-age paranoia. You'd think we'd ALL BE DEAD by now considering how harmful everything except organically grown sea-weed is. "

ahahaha !!!! exactly ! i stoped drinking sodas recently because i kinda got meh of them :P
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Well, i'm slowly getting sick of different sodas.
    First, Dr.Pepper, then pepsi, then mountain dew, then vault, now coke...
    After that, I might just stop all together.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well considering i am suffering the most appalling toothache right now from a combination of pepsi and too much sugar in general I am sure it is wise to cut down a bit.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I say, all you yanks should drink tea instead, pip pip!
    ruddy good stuff what
  • Mongrelman
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    a mate of mine at work got told by the doctor to stop drinking so much irn bru.. he was collecting crates of cans mind. he switched to sprite!
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Who wants to be Coca Cola's and Pepsi's Bitch anyways? Hahaha.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I stopped drinking Coca Cola after they stopped putting coke in, just isn't the same anymore...
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i used to drink about two to three liters of coke a day, and stopped because i wanted to break the caffiene addiction. whenever i went an few hours without coke i would get a very bad headache, so i just went through the withdrawal for like four days and felt very very good afterwards. i have it on occasion if i order chinese food or get a headache, but i have cut back on it drastically. it really is terrible stuff to drink too much of
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    mishra , i have the same addiction but for chinese fried rice :S do they put any drug or whatever in it ?
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    MSG, perhaps? Not really a drug though, more like a food additive.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    you could always switch from drinking soda to smoking cigs instead, or crack even:)
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    I really hate that drink Sasparilla, I wonder if it's still sold anywhere?
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    I quite drinking soda a few months ago largly to quit caffene, but also to just cut down on the number of calories I was taking in everyday. (since very few were going out) I decided it was time to quit drinking so much caffene cause it basically stopped doing anything to me. I could drink 2 or 3 Red Bulls and go to sleep, same with Mt. Dews. Since I've stopped drinking them, I've noticed alot less up and down of the energy level during the day.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    After long thought about this, I just couldn't tolerate the crazy crap in food and drinks today. I mean, sodas have all of that crazy preservatives, meat has hormones, water has chlorine, plastic containers contaminate stuff, organic stuff is ecoli infected, cooked food has carcinogens, raw stuff will give you food poisoning. So I said screw it.

I'm going to stop eating and drinking everything. So far it's been about twenty minutes and I feel friggin fantastic! I highly recommend never eating or drinking everything again. I'll post back here in another month or so to let you know how the experiment is going.
  • rooster
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Good one Ryno, I have been drinking soda for many years and feel it's time to quit, somehow wink.gif. I drink pepsi in those large plastic cups from subway nearly twice a day lunch + dinner it's madness.

I've been drinking water and ginger ale lot more now, trying to find suitable substitutes for those harmful foods/drinks. I Can't find one for alcohol though can't satisfy every need smile.gif.

I have the same craving for that fried chinese rice, yum pork fried.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha @ Ryno, you left out polluted air heh.

sigh... moderation my old friend where have you gone? Even if there wasn't the harmful additives most soda drinkers drink a cane field every year. Is it really that unreasonable to ask people to not consume more then their body needs? Maybe if more people could moderate we wouldn't have to take the flavor out of everything, diabetes and heart disease wouldn't be as prevalent? I'm all for people making healthy informed choices, but is it really a choice when the only thing left on the shelf is some tasteless food substitute? All we are doing at that point is forcing stupid people to live longer and bread, making the problem worse, heh.

I for one will continue to drink my special concoction of concentrated coffee/soda/energy drink out of my lead glazed, asbestoses lined mug in defiance of your healthy choices.

In the words of a famous country singer;
    "There are more old drunks around
    then there are old Doctors,
    so I guess I better have another round"

sound advice to me.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    when i traveled to various parts of the world over 7 months, i continued to drink plenty of coke and eat plenty of candy bars. i lost 20 pounds, mostly by not being such a fatass activity-wise.

but what's always gotten my goat is how much better coke tastes outside of the US, as do certain other ostensibly US export foods. because of course it's made with real sugar in most other places, where here we get that awful corn syrup sludge.

and yes, moderation is key to enjoying many things responsibly. even internet posting laugh.gif
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    We already knew the stuff was bad for us tongue.gif Saying it's harmful to cells now is like saying we knew that water damage was bad for buildings and now we know it's bad for the rooms IN the building too! What a revelation! The article says how it can switch off important functional portions of DNA in mitochondria, which is a tad more specific. Mitochondria are pretty important for us to, you know... live.

All things in moderation, as we all know. Obviously most people don't think that way or else we wouldn't have a problem (and coke wouldn't make so much damned money).

Gauss, I can't say as I ever noticed a difference between coke inside the US and outside. Admittedly though I haven't been to the US many times when I was old enough to remember it, but I think I would've picked up on a marked difference. Or maybe I was drinking pepsi smile.gif
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    It's much better outside the US, with cane sugar. In California, you can find some black market Mexican Coke around if you know where to look.
  • Luxury
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Coke in Australia tastes quite different to the Coke in Europe. I find it a lot sweeter and richer in taste over in Europe. Didn't try any while I was in the US, was too busy enjoying the never ending supply of Dr Pepper and Mr Pibb.
    I drink a shitload of Coke and will continue to drink a shitload of Coke. I eat a lot of junk food and I have been for quite a long time, yet I'm not unhealthy, my teeth aren't falling out (my dentist claims I have really healthy and strong teeth), I'm not the slightest bit fat/obese, I don't get sick often (just the occasional cold when there's one going around).
    ITS CALLED EXERCISE PEOPLE!

-caseyjones
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    casey, remember old men were young once too. In a couple of years from now your body is going to implode on itself and all the garbage you consumed is going to ooze out and fill a medium sized office building. Is that really what you want? Well you have no choice my friend it's going to happen anyway, not even brussle sprouts everyday for the rest of your life is going to change anything. - nealb4me the wise.
  • Elpen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elpen polycounter lvl 9
    yea its bad, high fructose corn suyrup makes you eat more than you should frown.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    It's funny how all the warnings I've gotten as a kid for excessive use of the computer, or using the computer with the lights off, or drinking so much Coke is going to be so harmful to me. Shouldn't I be dead and blind now? 20-20 vision bitch! Right height and weight for my age. No illnesses... If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

-caseyjones
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's much better outside the US, with cane sugar. In California, you can find some black market Mexican Coke around if you know where to look.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bunch of distributors here in Texas carry Mexican Coke in large glass bottles. It costs more, but it tastes so much better.