Home General Discussion

Really really really violent video games

tpe
tpe
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
tpe polycounter lvl 18
You know like Rambo IV, the poor guy in the jeep brutally blown to small bits by that 50 cal LMG?

Personally I would love to play games where you can just go wild, if you are going to kill bad guys you may as well do it in style, and would like to take the Idea a little further, just hypothetically.

But how would you get so much violence allowed the censors (or even the publishers for that matter)? Would you need to do something to take the edge off (green blood etc)? And if you did or could would it be a responcible action to make one with extreem gore?

How would you technically make the gore? Swap meshes in and out for the damage? Alphas over normal maps are heavy, and making the resources for many possible damage locations would take a lot of work.

How about ripping that esophagus out and the whole trachia goes with it? It might not be too hard to do, what about slitting the stomach open and having intestines drag after the character? It sounds like a soft body dynamics nightmare, are there any equally grotesque types of damage you could do to a character that aren't so hard performance and work wise?

Tim

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Soldier of fortune is pretty well known for doing most of that. Some modern games (darkwatch, or whatever, comes to mind) would swap models when the creatures switched to ragdoll for some things.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    I found SOF2 at least at the time could be pretty shockingly gory. I also realized skulls being taken appart chunk by chunk didn't really add anything to my gameplay experience.

But ya, strictly tecnically speaking.. Gore is hard.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    seeing little green aliens go splat is fun.

no thanks to seeing the insides of humans. there are crazy people in the world, ya know.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    For a cheap and fun bloody romp check out Alien Shooter. Blow aliens to bits with a great array of weapons. Turn on the RED blood for more gore.

Alien Shooter

• Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    God of war II has some pretty cool and gorey violence :P
    If youre more into 'realism' i'd suggest Postal 2, piss in gary colemans face hehe
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    The problem with having stuff like that is that after the first 20 or so guys you kill, you tend to stop noticing it. I think FEAR did the gore well, as most of the time when you killed someone, they went "Oww" and fell over. Occasionally a limb would fly off, or their head would part ways with their neck and you could play football with it. When such gore is less commonplace, you take more notice when it does happen and it has a greater effect.

IMO.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone remember the Bloody Mess perk in fallout 1 & 2? It basically made all the deaths way more gruesome. Pistol kill = exploded torso. Dead Rising has good deaths too, sledge hammer and samurai sword are good.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think FEAR did the gore well, as most of the time when you killed someone, they went "Oww" and fell over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Cold Winter for the PS2 handled it very much like that. It was a rather violent game, but instead of the soldier of fortune/turok 'HEY, YOU! YEAH, SEE ME? I'M DYING. I DON'T HAVE ANY *ARMS*' method they kept everything very low key. Dismemberment and everything was never really a focus, and managed to contribute to the game's style in a constructive way.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Gears of War is hardcore in violent. They modeled detailed cut pieces of the characters, you can see the bowels and stuff like that, very disgusting!
    Of course the blood is very stylized but that makes it even more fun killing enemies with the chainsaw.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I think it should be like jedi academy, really...
    not to often they would gib, but when they did it was suprising
    you know, make it pretty real, but not easy to get
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyone remember the Bloody Mess perk in fallout 1 & 2? It basically made all the deaths way more gruesome. Pistol kill = exploded torso.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bloody mess soo owns, it even works melee, yay for kicking people in half laugh.gif
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Heretic II, Syndicate Wars, and Diablo were early gory favourites of mine. : ) So many gibs, so much fun.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    womanhunt
    rayman XD

oh, and crimsonland
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Crime Wave was the first gory game I played. You had your machine gun that got some blood spurts (or so I remember, it was about 17 years ago or something) but could also fire a rocket. This was greeted with the response of the recipient flying into many pieces across the screen, on fire.
    http://www.huguesjohnson.com/features/crime_wave/back_large.jpg
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    FEAR was awesome, they did the gore perfectly in that game.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    splatter house! oh yeah and death wish 3 the video game... I mean you can kill old ladies and shoot people with a bazooka and they turn to a pile of bloody mush laugh.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    This is kind of the antithesis of John Warner's thread.

As far as ridiculously over the top gore goes, few games have done it quite as stylishly as Rise of the Triad. Hit someone with a heavy weapon and you get an eyeball sliding down the camera, gibs oozing down the walls and if you're quick with the pause button, you might even see a severed hand flipping you off as it whizzes by.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    TPE, you and me my friend, we're on the same page, haha. It's all really a taste thing. I myself am a gorehound, I don't find it needed to enjoy a game, but when it's there I tend to enjoy it a little too much.

Blood Rayne, you could shoot people's faces off, slice them apart every which way. Cut off their hands and watch them run around screaming and looking at their newly acquired stumps. I didn't play the second one so I don't know if they carried over the amount of gore to it.

I recall the Suffering to be a pretty gruesome game as well.

Fear did have some nice stuff. Shoot a fire extinguisher next to a guy, and once the white cloud settles you see a limb or two laying about.

Another one is an oldy but goldy, Crusader: No Remorse. There was this sweet gun that when you shot someone with it, it pretty much evaporated all the skin off your enemy.

Rune is also another good one, there is a certain satisfaction you get when you kill someone with their own severed arm.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay eternal champions!
    As far as gore goes, i like it the most in over-the-top stuff like Troma, and i wouldn't mind seeing it in a modern game. On the other hand, i don't have much of a desire to see realistic war games get more realistic.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I do the chainsaw in Gears before going to meetings with difficult clients.

I was hoping the new Zelda would allow you to chop things up. No such luck. Not asking for real gore but something like what Matt Groening does in the simpsons or futurama
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadow of Rome was fun in this aspect... never know when that scimitar was gonna cut something off!
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    That's nothing. Here's something.

[/ QUOTE ]
    On another note, it's interesting that all of the female characters' Cinekills involve bondage.

Frank the Avenger
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Another one is an oldy but goldy, Crusader: No Remorse. There was this sweet gun that when you shot someone with it, it pretty much evaporated all the skin off your enemy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The microwave gun smile.gif

That should be brought back in a new game.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Shadow of Rome was fun in this aspect... never know when that scimitar was gonna cut something off!

[/ QUOTE ]

What was great about that one was that the really gorey attacks had names! JUICY TOMATO!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I once jumped my horse off a huge cliff in oblivion and watched as its limp body flopped down the hill, even though there wasnt really blood its still unnerving. I dont really enjoy games that focus too much on realistic gore. I dont need to see realistic insides, Id rather see some good realistic outsides.