Home General Discussion

GI Joe: The Movie!!!!

BRUTICUS(CW)
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
BRUTICUS(CW) polycounter lvl 18
More info...
DiBonaventura was also a producer on Transformers.

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=62

the skinny:
This guy doesn't understand the whole "Cobra" thing and has decided to keep it out of the movie. Instead he has hired some writers to craft a new evil terrorist who goes by the name of........."COOL DUDE"

I think when kids were growing up in the 80s you were either a GI Joe kid or a Transformers kid well all I have to say is guess what GI Joe kids... ITS YOUR TURN.

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Where's Jason and the Wheeled Warriors?!!
    I need to make an image of my childhood getting fucked in the ass with a cactus. I mean my god... no Cobra? Why the fuck is this guy even attempting it then? If this is at all true, then I can guarantee you I won't be at a theater for this movie.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the rape-a-matron?
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    When ThunderCats will be a movie, the director wont understand the whole "Cat" thing, and change them to Animal didlo Robots.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    god hates the 80's
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Hollywood culture is raping the ashes of the 80's
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Cool Dude? You don't think this could be a practical joke to tag along with the whole "OMG Transformers movie sucks" malarky? It doesn't sound very plausible to me.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Jayce and the wheeled warriors wink.gif.

It is sad to see what we have grown to love and still love get mutilated by writters and individuals that pretty much have no clue about reproducing our favorite all time 80's shows.

CoOOool Dudeee, coOOOol dudddeee,..... CoOOool Dudeee, coOOOol dudddeee... naw it's not the same.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMe508TTaiw
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    No Cobra? what the hell! frown.gif I pity the foo! They better not screw up the he-man movie!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Oh why do us children of the 80s have to get bent over an ottoman and fucked by giants wearing spiked sheathes over there gigantic cocks? What did we do that was so bad that people have to destroy what little we can remember that was happy about our childhood.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    jessemoody ... or why do people care more about their childhood memories getting ruined, than the fact that the lazy-arsed movie industry insists on raking this shit up to make yet another cheap half-baked action film that pleases NO-ONE, just cos it's easier than thinking up new ideas to make something fresh and meaty and that captures the imagination of young and older audiences alike?

lazy lazy lazy BOLLOCKS. There's a whole universe of potential ideas out there, we don't have to accept this shit ... whether it's done crap or well, it's still a fucking re-bore of stuff that should be done and dusted already. Nooooooo i say, rage rage against the dying of the light
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    god hates the 80's

[/ QUOTE ] Maybe a little, but mostly its just the baby boomer's who control Hollywood.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I bet that all the people bitching about this movie and the Transformers one will be first in line on opening day to hand over thier hard earned cash to the people that are "raping their childhood." Can you really call it "rape" if you paid for it?

I propose that people are no longer allowed to complain about any unreleased movie that they know they plan on going to see anyway ... except then the Transformers thread would have consisted of maybe one post other than my own and this thread would have never been started in the first place tongue.gif
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a difference here between the Transformers movie and the GIJoe script. (I remind everyone it's just a script so far)

Transformers isn't missing anything. Autobots still fight the Decepticons here on Earth over power. Humans get involved, etc etc. People are mainly bitching because of the designs.

If GIJoe is denied Cobra... well, that just wouldn't be GIJoe. Anytime they didn't fight some form of Cobra, their show was generally unsuccessful.

Although, it is just a script. Hell, you should watch An Evening with Kevin Smith and see what he said about the Superman script.

I wouldn't worry until filming begins.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry until filming begins.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably worth not worrying when the film comes out either, to be entirely honest
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    jessemoody ... or why do people care more about their childhood memories getting ruined, than the fact that the lazy-arsed movie industry insists on raking this shit up to make yet another cheap half-baked action film that pleases NO-ONE, just cos it's easier than thinking up new ideas to make something fresh and meaty and that captures the imagination of young and older audiences alike?

lazy lazy lazy BOLLOCKS. There's a whole universe of potential ideas out there, we don't have to accept this shit ... whether it's done crap or well, it's still a fucking re-bore of stuff that should be done and dusted already. Nooooooo i say, rage rage against the dying of the light

[/ QUOTE ]
    honestly, I hear this a lot. That hollywood can't come up with ideas. I think a more accurate description is they are too afraid to try something new. They have found that taking an old property that is known and has any following at all will atleast help generate a buzz...

But another thing is, people WANT to see a GI Joe movie AND a Transformers movie. They want to see a realistic interpretation of what impowered their childhood imaginations.

The thing filmmakers should be asking themselves is DO THEY "GET IT"? If they don't get it, they should FIGURE IT OUT. If they are using a name to reel in an audience they should atleast learn what it is this audience loves about it and then DELIVER. They should consider it their mission to make a happy customer.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    at least they haven't touched MASK yet
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]

The thing filmmakers should be asking themselves is DO THEY "GET IT"? If they don't get it, they should FIGURE IT OUT. If they are using a name to reel in an audience they should atleast learn what it is this audience loves about it and then DELIVER. They should consider it their mission to make a happy customer.

[/ QUOTE ]

your problem there is that there simply aren't enough transformers or GI Joe (Action Force over here) fans to even get close to making their money back, if that's their sole audience. So they have to change stuff to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

at least, that's the idea. Being hollywood, they can't get that right either, since in general they're a bit shit at filmmaking. Sure, they'll sell loads of plastic crap in Happy Meals and (sometimes) shift enough tickets to make a drip of profit ... but they'll keep churning the shit over and over and over until everyone knows precisely who will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

unless, of course, they've also managed to protect themselves from the slavering mob by successfully turning their brains to mush. Then they can simply wave a brightly coloured glove puppet to distract them, and escape on the nearest yacht
  • BRUTICUS(CW)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course it has to appeal to a larger audience... but what i'm getting at is you can appeal to a larger audience and still remain true to the source material.

You have to find a careful balance.

-Getting rid of COBRA, is not making GI Joe a more appealing story.

-Giving Optimus Prime flames is NOT making Transformers a more appealing story. Nor will it increase the numbers.

etc.

By default, seeing you're from the UK I would imagine you dont give a rats ass about GI Joe. What about Action Man? Just curious.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    bruticus ... i grew up on Action Force, which was the UK GI Joe. Originally they were a small replica of the UK Action Man , with real military units - but by the time it went brittle plastic and fully articulated, it had all the same Cobra characters as GI Joe, and i knew each one intimately. Flash, he was the best - apparently, he was from my hometown. I had all the comics, the film (rated PG, woooh), all the various bits and pieces, they were my favourite toys ever.

But i'm 30. So no, i don't give a shit.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Of course it has to appeal to a larger audience... but what i'm getting at is you can appeal to a larger audience and still remain true to the source material.

You have to find a careful balance.

-Getting rid of COBRA, is not making GI Joe a more appealing story.

-Giving Optimus Prime flames is NOT making Transformers a more appealing story. Nor will it increase the numbers.

etc.

By default, seeing you're from the UK I would imagine you dont give a rats ass about GI Joe. What about Action Man? Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, Cobra is a huge part of GIJoe, flames on Prime is not.

They're not on the same level. 'No Cobra' could really mess up the story, while flames won't make the story any better or worse.

Flames are aesthetics, and could arguably be compared to an actor's wardrobe. Optimus Prime is still in the movie, he's just wearing something different. The draw is Optimus Prime, not the flames.

You dress actors up in movies to appeal to the audience and reflect society around them and make them 'characters'.
  • notman