Home Technical Talk

Unreal editor 3

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
I've seen some people posting work they've rendered inside this editor, i can't find it anywhere though! how do i get into this exclusive club? i've always enjoyed working with UT2k4, and i can't wait to get my teeth into Ued3...

Replies

• Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Unreal Editor 3 is what is usd for UT2003/2004.Unreal Editor 4 is for Unreal Engine 3. Roboblitz (can buy through steam for about $15) has a modifed version of Unreal Ed 4.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    buy roboblitz (14.95)( http://store.digitalriver.com/store/roboblit/DisplayHomePage ) , download JaReal ( http://files.filefront.com/JaReal+v10/;6991203;/fileinfo.html ) which adds some functionality to roboblitz to allow it to act like UT3. Allows you to import characters, see defualt kismet actions, etc.

Its a great way to get exposure to a great engine for a very inexpensive cost. Plus, it works great for showing off your next-gen portfolio in the most used engine wink.gif

[edit] do not buy it from steam, the mod will not work!
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    Lupus, i'm affraid you're wrong.
    Unreal editor 3 is the one used for Gears of War and the upcoming UT2K7.This editor is not yet released and will be provided with UT2K7 i think/hope. I guess the screens you saw, almighty_gir, were made by guys working on the UE3 at their offices.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It uses an older version of the editor, gears is newer, functionality is the same with the old engine, you can still import and use the material editor the same way. Trust me, I work in Ue3 everyday laugh.gif and I bought roboblitz to see the differences. Get the mod for it, if you want to do any importing of your own work.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    [edit: beat me to it smile.gif]

I had considered buying Roboblitz, but Xnormal is fine enough for previewing that stuff for me for now.

Wasn't UT3 supposed to be released for PC next month or so? I noticed the PC release date just up and disappeared from EB and Gamestop..
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, everywhere I read had said that, I didn't check up on it frown.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I used roboblitz for about a week and then got UE3 for work and I work from home so I'm a lucky guy.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sorry, everywhere I read had said that, I didn't check up on it frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't want anyone to make the mistake I made. I bought mine from steam first, and it didn't work with the mod so I bought it again from the roboblitz website.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a bit confused, what mod are you talking about? Is there a difference between the Roboblitz you from Steam and the website? I bought it through steam to have a go at the editor, so I could import models into to it for some unreal engine 3 rendering, but not tried yet.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Most of the people showing UE3 stuff are professionals working in the industry whose companies have purchased licenses of the engine. That'd be a few hundred thousand dollars. I'm not sure if any games have released a copy of the editor with them yet, but it should happen eventually.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Lupus, I think they are talking about the JaReal mod.
    At the moment if you import your models you could hide all the editor icons and gizmos OR you could run your map. If you do the second, then you will have to deal with the roboblitz robot being in your screen the whole time.
    So what this mod does is making a "spectator"view-camera so that you can fly around your map. I havent tried the mod yet because I also have the steam version, so it is(almost) impossible to compile.(actualy thats what I heard, I havent tried to compile it yet because I dont really need it).
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    I wish I new about that mod for the spectator camera! i couldnt even figure out how to turn the robo guy off... I just made his material transparent....
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    some features of the JaReal framework:
    [ QUOTE ]
    - Multiple gametypes based on prefixes, example included Deathmatch
    - Playercontrollers, basic walking code and spectator code
    - Weapons, projectile and hitscan, first person and third person meshes + effects
    - Pawns with Skeletal Meshes, example includes a skeletal mesh using the AnimTree along with coded animations

[/ QUOTE ]
    I guess it is built in but im not sure because I havent tried it myself.
    if you dont already have jareal get it here
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    imo.
    i don't like that someone used unreal engine 3 viewer for make shots of models at dominance war2
    it can make candy from shit, and that's unfair.(i seen
    3-4 models, which was pure poop, but engine lighting maked it looks good)
    imo.
  • Jahmez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Unreal editor 3 is the one used for Gears of War and the upcoming UT2K7

[/ QUOTE ]UED3 was used for UE2.x. UE3 just uses UnrealED. UED2.0 was used for Unreal Tournament (From 1999). I'm not sure if UE3 has a editor numeriation on it. I just refer to it as UED4.

http://hamza3000.free.fr/UnrealED/L'interface%20de%20UnrealEd/Logo.JPG

Thats the splash screen from UT2004's UED. See how it says 'Version 3.0'?

[ QUOTE ]
    it can make candy from shit, and that's unfair

[/ QUOTE ]Only to some extent. You can still make models look crap compared to good models if both were rendered in UE3.

As for the whole Steam issue, you can compile code within the Steam version. But it takes a bit of working round. I have both versions and have been able to compile for both, but the Digital River version is much easier. I've had people run JaReal with the Steam version as well.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jahmez, do you have any links on how those of us with the steam version can get the JaReal mod to work? I know sweet FA about compiling :/
  • Jahmez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I know you can just chuck in the precompiled versions and they will run without asking the recompile.

If I get some free time, I'll see if I can get a written method of how to do it.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    Would someone care to explain how to make a quick scene in the roboblitz ed to just show off your models? right now i'm having issues with my normal map which doesn't show up at all and lighting, how do you get that fancy pants bloom and other sexy tricks the editor is known for?
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don,

Hourences site is very helpful:
    http://help.hourences.com/tutorialsindex.htm

here's what I did:
    ibxl_mat.jpg

not sure if the way I linked fresnel is right..

I second the examples of fancy lighting tricks. smile.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Would someone care to explain how to make a quick scene in the roboblitz ed to just show off your models? right now i'm having issues with my normal map which doesn't show up at all and lighting, how do you get that fancy pants bloom and other sexy tricks the editor is known for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I helped you over aim tonight but wanted to post this on here to show a few ways to do things as well.

I'm working on some UE3 based tutorials and should have 1 done by next week with more to come shortly.
    UE3_Shots.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome Jesse, looking forward to them. Are they going to be video tutorials? I can host if you need.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Awesome Jesse, looking forward to them. Are they going to be video tutorials? I can host if you need.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of doing a few video ones later on but for now they won't be, but I'll hit you up for a host as well. I know I have tons of bandwidth with my site but it wouldn't hurt to have more than one host.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jesse, nice lava effect! Definitely looking forward to the tutorials.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thanks Jesse, nice lava effect! Definitely looking forward to the tutorials.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks but the model isn't mine... It belongs to ThatDon... I was just showing him how to set things up and get a nice little effect from things..
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here you go guys. I just finished the first tutorial in my UE3 collection. Hope it helps. You can find it on my new tutorials page.

http://www.artbyjessemoody.com